Snake Guns

shep854

Rats are way more aggressive than snakes. Lots more of 'em, too. With fleas (think plague). Nasty; live, go anywhere, eat anything (even babies, infirm).

paull

Don’t know what kind of snake he was, he had red and black stripes, but the lines between the stripes we’re NOT well defined. He had no other colors. This took place in southern Kalifornia. Maybe one of you snake people would know what he was.

Most likely a king snake.
VERY helpful, they are.

I've been hip deep in these critters for a while.
Don't have many mice though.:D
049.jpg

stantonizm

It's kind of interesting the difference in the responses between the snake thread on this forum and the one on the revolver forum. Lots more pro-snake people on this one. I imagine that probably has to with the age of the reader-base, could be location too.

stantonizm

Valkabit, being that you reside in New Jersey I highly doubt you have a problem with venomous snakes. The two species (Timber Rattlesnakes and Northern Copperheads) that are found in the state are rare and legally protected.

shep854

"It's a Southern Copperhead."--stantonizm

I thought it was a rattler, but wondered where the rattle was. In that position, it should have been visible.

valkabit6

Stantonizm, Your right, I've never had a face to face with a poisonous snake. But if I did see one of the rare and legally protected venomous snakes and was in a position to kill it, I would.

I see nothing wrong with poisonous snakes becoming extinct, we've got pictures of all sorts of poisonous snakes, that should be plenty good enough.

gak

+1 to the mighty King snake--for pests of four and no legged variety. Best snake ever "built"--whether the western (California; Az too) variety (distinctive black and white stripes) or eastern variety, very useful. To the snake lovers here, good grief, I still say "no" to the venomous types. They're not needed for pest control. Kings, Arizona bulls, racers, all good snakes to have around including to fend off the fanged critters.

Regarding Florida rattlers comment, have a friend that lives there and says infested with them, as well as the nasty moccasins.

Case in point: http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=f5c_1216940292 (scroll down)
Just not necessary--or desirable!!
Time for a King infestation!!

Last edited:

cdutton

I live in the East Bay in Cali out in the sticks, and I have gophers, mice, rats, wasps, yellowjackets, hornets, snakes, and boar.

Over the years I've dispatched ONLY the rattlers. Just killed one three days ago that was in my garage. My dogs sleep in my garage in wire pens, so we were lucky they'd been let out before the bastard got in.

Killed it with .22 mag snakeshot, then completed the double tap outside the garage with an 870 and some of Federal's best birdshot :cool:

I value my dogs and the little ones of family more than the snakes. I WILL kill one if I come across it. We've managed to reduce the amount of snakes by killing off their food with rat and mice poison, and either burning out or poisoning the gophers.

870 is still the best snake control for the outdoors ;)

orionengnr

I realize this thread has gotten way out of control, but anything that threatens or tags me or one of my dogs is going to be dealt with, not hugged or "understood"...

CarbineCaleb

Snake Guns

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I've read quite a few threads lately about using pistols to kill snakes. I grew up, and still live in a very wooded area with many snakes, and I have encountered rattlers, copperheads, and many non-poisonous snakes in the woods, and never felt that using a gun was the best option. Usually, taking a slow step or two back, and then, if your still afraid, run away. I wonder if fear plays too much of a factor here?

I can see shooting a poisonous snake that's in your yard. Other than that, I am with you - if you see one in the woods, and didn't already get bitten first because you stepped on or next to it, then it's not like you need to defend yourself. Just walk away, and the "threat" is over. Snakes are useful (rodent control) and part of the web of life - don't need to shoot them on sight.

Catfishman

As an aside if you're unable to identify what type of snake has bitten you, killing it can allow you to get closer to identify it

Good point, although most "pit viper" antivenin will work for all.

If you can kill a snake that has bitten you, do it. You may not need antivenom. It is my understanding that antivenom makes you very sick.

Moccasins can be aggresive even when unprovoked. I had one come at me very quickly from about 10 feet away. I was stuck in soft mud and left one of my boots behind getting away from it.

I met a man who was missing half his foot because of a moccasin, my grandfather was bitten by a rattlesnake and nearly died, my uncle was bitten on the face while working under his house by a moccasin and nearly died. I had a snake strike at my face when I was a kid climbing a tree (probably not a poisonous snake in the tree). My favorite dog a huge Black Lab was killed by two moccasins. My point is that poisonous snakes are a very real problem for those of us who spend a lot of time outdoors and live in snake infested areas.

There is no reason to not kill every poisonous snake you encounter. I don't care if a snake has a right to feel threaten by us. I couldn't care less about the snakes perspective. Train my dog not to stick his nose in a hole?!

I'm a realist not an enviromentalist tree hugger. I'm glad our ancestors killed of all the sabertoothed tigers and most other predators where I live. I don't want an animal to hurt a person.

That said, I think the guys recommending rat shot are probably correct. A single shot .410 is great also. I have killed many snakes with a .22 rifle but you can always miss a crawling snake with a .22.