Snake Guns

imp

I've read quite a few threads lately about using pistols to kill snakes. I grew up, and still live in a very wooded area with many snakes, and I have encountered rattlers, copperheads, and many non-poisonous snakes in the woods, and never felt that using a gun was the best option. Usually, taking a slow step or two back, and then, if your still afraid, run away. I wonder if fear plays too much of a factor here?

HKFan9

People usually shoot them for fear for their pets and children getting into a tangle with them, not for defensive. Personally snakes are one of my favorite animals, and I grew up always playing and catching them, and learned which ones to leave alone. I've yet to have a snake come and attack me that I did not already provoke.:rolleyes: I just let them be, but I don't have kids or pets to worry about.

The Terminator

I live close to a bike trail. The deputy there kills several dozen snakes per year. He keeps a magazine of snake shot loaded, and switches mags when he is ready to use it. The pistol is a Glock 23C. He loads the shot, and says that you need to be back about six feet for the best spread pattern.

I have checked, and snake shot is available for 9mm, 38spcl, 40,44, 45 and several other calibers. So, it looks to me like any decent caliber, with snake shot in it, would work.

Years ago, I had a friend who owned a pawn shop. He kept snake shots in his hip carry 38 special. I'd hate to be hit with that. Best -

jaysouth

Check your state laws. In some states (TN) it is against the law to kill ANY snake.

Chiggers, poison ivy and ticks have caused me a lot more discomfort than any snake, however poisonous.

MrClean

Here's an excellent Snake-Gun. :D

l_76c2ff091e5f2162f2223f46eafed121.jpg

Jay1958

Snake shot generally works much better in revolvers than semiautos, as they usually don't cycle well in semiautos. Also, you shouldn't shoot snake shot out of ported or compensated barrels - should be obvious, but I've sure some have done it... :eek:

I have checked, and snake shot is available for 9mm, 38spcl, 40,44, 45 and several other calibers. So, it looks to me like any decent caliber, with snake shot in it, would work.

Buzzard

I have a Super Comanche that shoots .45/410 and I use the 410's in it . I have a holster on my quad that I carry it in when I ride in the desert .
Great snake gun...

Keltyke

Check your state laws. In some states (TN) it is against the law to kill ANY snake.

YEA for TN!!!

I'm a snake lover, and we have 5, all non-venomous. Most encounters with a snake in the wild do NOT need to end in a killing (on either side). The snake is MUCH more afraid of you than you of it. Look at it from the snake's point. Here's a BIG mammal (read "predator") getting REALLY close, I'm in danger. The snake has a limited amount of venom. It doesn't want to waste it on something too large to eat (you). He will only bite, and then only inject, as an absolute LAST resort to make you go away.

From your point, here's a small reptile who can only harm you if it's within striking distance (about 1/3 body length). For most NA snakes, that's about 2', maximum.

In the woods, wear heavy leather shoes or boots. KEEP YOUR EYES OPEN. Stumbling upon or stepping on a snake is the best way of getting bitten. Do NOT reach into any dark or confined space unless you can clearly see what's in there. Wherever you reach, look FIRST. Beware of sunny spots on rocks or leafy ground cover. Snakes love both. Snakes will be most active at midday, when it's warmest.

If you see a snake, FREEZE! Back away SLOWLY. Don't stomp around. The snake can feel the vibrations through the ground and may become agitated. Always assume ANY snake is venomous. Sometimes a venomous snake's coloring mimics a harmless species.

If you ARE bitten. Call for medical help immediately. Quick treatment is your best chance. If the snake is crawling away or you're out of striking range, DON'T shoot it. It won't help you any. Bandage the wound loosely and place the bitten area lower than the heart. Remain calm, don't run around. Watch for, and treat for shock. Apply a loose tourniquet between the bitten area and the heart, as close to the bitten area as possible. Do not cut the fang marks and attempt to suck out the venom. Every little venom remains close enough to the surface to suck out. If you have a raw spot or open sore in your mouth, now you're in trouble, too.

Venomous snakes in NA are:
Rattlesnakes (various species) - Bite may be fatal
Coral snakes - Bite seldom fatal (short, rear fangs)
Cottonmouths - Bite possibly fatal
Copperheads - Bite seldom fatal

Enjoy the woods, but keep your wits about you.

Desslock

Up until this thread, I have never seen more people afraid of snakes than on TFL. It just cracks me up! The couple of times I've encountered snakes in the wild, it would've been too late to shoot them, anyway, as they took me completely by surprise. I'm way more afraid of hornets and yellow jackets. I run like a pansy from those.

Jon-m

Snakes have been my life long passion, so I always cringe when I hear of people using guns on them.
It is honestly not needed at all. I have been actively hunting snakes for years and years, and I have never seen or heard of a snake actually chasing or attacking someone. Its simply not in their nature. I actively hunt copperheads, water moccasins, and diamond backs and all other types of reptile all the time, and even the very venomous will not attack you unprovoked. Sure they may lunge at you if you start screwing around with them, and they may put on airs trying to seems very big and aggressive, but I guarantee if you take a step back and walk away, that will be the end of the confrontation.
Another thing that most people should know is that the great majority of snakebites that do happen each year come from people who where trying to kill a snake (usually with shovels), and those fools who are just screwing with them outright without knowing what they are doing. Walk away from it...it won't chase you. And, in most cases if you walk up on a snake and it is aware of your presence, it will pack up and leave that spot as soon as you leave. They do not like to be confronted like that, so if they are seen they will usually opt to go somewhere else in a hurry.

Just keep your eyes open, and be aware of your surroundings when in the woods. respect their space, and leave them be. that's the safest way to deal with them.

RsqVet

+1 on the lack of any sense in killing snakes when you are out and about... in point of fact for everyone you see there are likely 5 to 10 that you have been just as close to and have NOT seen.

As to keeping snakes away from your home / corral, if you are out in the sticks this is largely like trying to hold back the sea... keep the places for them to hide / nest down is step one, Also keep in mind anytime your nighbors do major earth moving you will see more of them as they get disturbed and seek new dens. I have snake tongs and will relocate them for myself and friends, but I accept that even if you move them out of the area more will simply move in so it's largely a neverending activity. Same goes if you are killing them.

Training your dogs not to run moving animals or stick their noses down holes is also a good idea.

obxned

If you've got lots of mice around your place, you are going to have snakes. They want to eat the mice. You are getting free natural rodent control.

Actually, other than with the easily recognized rattlers, most of the 'poisonous' snake I've seen people kill were actually non-venomous.

Keltyke

most of the 'poisonous' snake I've seen people kill were actually non-venomous.

Thank you for making that distinction. There is no such thing as a "poisonous" snake. Poison has to be swallowed. Venom (venomous) is injected, like from a fang (snake) or stinger (wasp).

andrewskaggs

If you ARE bitten. Call for medical help immediately. Quick treatment is your best chance. If the snake is crawling away or you're out of striking range, DON'T shoot it. It won't help you any.

As an aside if you're unable to identify what type of snake has bitten you, killing it can allow you to get closer to identify it or it can even be taken with you for someone else to identify. There are several different kinds of antivenom. Knowing exactly what type of snake has bitten you can help medical personnel figure out which (if any) you need.

Keltyke

As an aside if you're unable to identify what type of snake has bitten you, killing it can allow you to get closer to identify it

Good point, although most "pit viper" antivenin will work for all.

BurkGlocker

Several of my family members (cousins and uncle) have been biten by rattlers, but it was usually while we were out cleaning up in the pasture, moving stuff around, then WHAP!, and then A LOT of cussing, but we have gotten into the habit of carrying a bite kit with us and the hospital is only 20 mins away. But we have come to realize that they usually dont bother you unless you bother them. We have lost a few dogs to snake bites, but most of them have only lost legs, but left crippled for the remainder of their lives. Theres alot of three legged dogs running around there...LOL.

Up here in Texhoma we have the rattlesnake roundup every year and there are numerous snake bite incidents during that time of the year, but most of the guys are prepared.

But to get to the point, we dont usually kill the snakes, they're here just like we are, to survive. Only time we have killed a snake was mostly out of revenge for killing one of our blue heelers, but that was one helluva cattle dog.

HKFan9

Quote from Desslock:

"I'm way more afraid of hornets and yellow jackets. I run like a pansy from those. "

You and me must be a lot alike.;) I HATE hornets and wasps, and yellow jackets and whatever other flying insects with stringers. They have caused me a lot of pain over the years, a lot more so than the 1000's of snakes I've probably caught for fun, than released. I was one sore pup when a wasp stung me in the eyelid.:( If only ammo makers would stop making snake shot, and start making Bee/Wasp/Hornet loads.;)

imp

Keltyke wrote:From your point, here's a small reptile who can only harm you if it's within striking distance (about 1/3 body length). For most NA snakes, that's about 2', maximum.

This was my point for starting this thread. Unless you are Bob Munden, or someone like him, its going to be faster just to take a step back, then walk away. Drawing a gun, aiming, and firing, even if you are fast, takes about a full second, especially if you are startled. Taking a step back takes less than half that amount of time, spares the life of a critter, and possibly your own.

Honestly, if you are close enough to the snake to be in danger, standing there to aim and fire is kind of dumb. If you miss, the snake is either going to run or attack, depending upon his options. And if your far enough away not to be in immediate danger, then why kill the snake.

All this being said, I have shot snakes. The DOT was widening the road beside my house and hit a copperhead den with hundreds of snakes in it, and many came towards my house. I killed a few in my front yard because I didn't want my little boy (2 years old at the time) to get bitten on accident. But, I also used a shotgun.

I just question the feasibility of carrying a handgun in the woods for "snake defense" I carry while I'm in the woods, but its because we have bear. I'm just not worried about snakes.