Smoothest pumping shotguns?

kozak6

I must admit, I love my Ithica 37 Featherlight, which really pumps smoothly.

What are considered to be the smoothest pumping shotguns out there?

Black_Talon

What are considered to be the smoothest pumping shotguns out there?

You currently own it.

High Standard Flite-Kings are pretty darn smooth too, certainly better than 870's, and the Mossy's. I can't think of anything even close to the M37, and I've had hands-on experience with dozens of different pump guns.

Smoother is not always better. The smooth action means a finer (tighter) fit. This means it is more suceptable to fouling because of dirt and grit. Your mileage may vary.

Shotgun

Bigfatts

The Winchester 1300s I've handled are pretty smooth, way smoother than Mossbergs or Remington. I just got a high standard K-120 riot gun that is pretty darn glassy too.

banditt007

i've got a 1300 and it shucked smooth once lubed and brand new. even after 200 rounds it got smoother, now at about 1500 rounds through it, it shucks even smoother, really smooth.

I noticed if you hold the gun verticle and hit the slide release when new the foregrip would barely drop down, now it drops down a good 3" i suspect with time it will drop down even further.

johnbt

"now it drops down..."

My '93 Express will do that too. A little more polishing... :)

A slight shake opens the action, so maybe I'll quit while I'm ahead.

John

whitebb

+1 Winchester Defender. 10,000+ rounds over 20 years and still working with a super smooth action. I once shot over 500 shells in 1 day through it and it never failed! (Yes I was sore) That was 10 years ago, and i couldn't say no to free ammo.

Leif

Browning BPS ... the shotgun that doesn't get the attention it deserves, it seems. Mine's slick as, well, it's just downright slick. Spits empties out the bottom like the Ithaca 37, too.

The best I've felt are some of the early Browning BPSs. Not sure about their newer ones.

Mine is new as of last year. It appears to be just as smooth as my father's BPS Upland, which is about a decade plus a few older, IIRC.

My 835 is the smoothest I've used. Lots of folks don't like the "looseness" of the forearm, but I don't mind, and I'd say that has a lot to do with how nice the action is on it.

Servo77

+1 on the BPS. I have one made in '03 and it is wonderfully slick and smooth....not too mention the thing patterns better then others I have used too.

jhgreasemonkey

Smoother is not always better. The smooth action means a finer (tighter) fit. This means it is more suceptable to fouling because of dirt and grit. Your mileage may vary.
I believe you are correct. My ithaca 37 is a 1950 model and when it gets dirty it jams halfway through pumping and is a bear to clear. :(

butwhat

Doesn't Benelli make a pump shotgun that has an internal mechenism that assists you in pumping?

I believe that's a Baretta. I have a friend that has one. Very smooth pumping gun.

ammo.crafter

pumps...

I have Mossberg, Remington, Browning and others. My Ithica 37 (circa 1950) Featherweight is smooth as silk.

The Left-handed daughter wouldn't have any other pump.