Smith & Wesson brings back the 586

MrBorland

Sevens said:
For my buck, I always find it laugh-worthy when someone starts a thread on a discussion forum and then gets annoyed or upset at how the thread evolves, as if he has some manner of ownership of the discussion, since he happened to be the person who submitted the title and the first post.

Well, on one hand, I've noted it's general forum etiquette to stick to the topic/question presented by the OP in their first post. The OP doesn't "own" the discussion, however, as it's no less a highjacking when they themselves veer the thread.

I suspect part of the problem with veered threads is that the potentially useful info contained therein, no longer connected to the title, is essentially lost once the thread goes into history.

BillCA said:
I started the thread to let people know they could once again buy a blued version of the popular 686 revolver.

On the other hand, how much "discussion" can be reasonably expected from a simple "heads-up" post before it veers? I can only offer my thanks to BillCA for his heads-up, and anything more would be a thread veer, no?

overkill0084

I like the 586. On the plus side, the blue finish makes the lock a bit less obtrusive. I find the lock irritating, but I won't allow it to stop me from getting a gun I want. My 627 has a lock, life goes on.

Sevens

Does anyone have even an estimated number of the original 586 production compared to the 686 production, before the 586 was dropped?

Or the 581/681 numbers compared to the 586/686?

I think we can all agree that we see many, many more 686 revolvers out there than the other three models. The x81, frankly, I rarely see. (or rarely notice?)

18DAI

IIRC 58,000 and some odd 681's according to the Standard Catalog of S&W. Less numbers of 581's.

586 was discontinued around 1998 or 99......I don't remember which. More 586's made than 581's. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI

Oh, Sorry BillCa for further derailing your thread! ;)

Homerboy

I'm not such a purist that I would not buy a S&W just because of the lock and the MIM parts, but frankly, the newer guns do not seem as slick or as quality as the older ones. I've handled a new S&W 686, and it doesn't even come close to the 686-3 I have. Even the finish looks different.

The "playground lady" wasn't a comment at any one particular moderator personally
Really? I went and put on the vest and everything. I get to have no fun around here...

Seriously, guys, we are wandering, and we are being a bit less than civil in spots.

BillCA

Sevens,

I will say that I can see your point regarding "discussion", however I also have to say that cogent discussions do not involve flogging a dead horse until you're knee deep in Rosswurst.

Each time S&W releases a new model or brings one back into production, we get to see dozens of drive-by comments, often by the same folks, bashing S&W for the lock, MIM parts (as if no one else uses them) and the lack of "hand fitting" of parts. No discussion about whether that model serves a purpose or is something that people could put to good use. Just complaints about the locks and parts. It's like someone in the 1960's complaining that S&W numbered their guns instead of naming them.

The point of the short history was to point out that today's S&W is not the one responsible for "selling out" and that the peevish boycott by gun owners had unintended consequences -- allowing Saf-T-Hammer to buy S&W as a consumer of their patented lock. Maybe if enough of us pooled resources and could leverage $250M we could buy S&W and toss the lock into the trash.

Tom - I remember Mas commenting on the same thing and hearing it repeated at the 2010 SHOT show. But S&W has given no time table for it. The source I talked to said there were some worries of "public perception" and they were testing the waters slowly.

18DAI - Thanks for the info about Maryland. I learned something new from you. (I thought MA had the requirement too).

BillCA

IIRC 58,000 and some odd 681's according to the Standard Catalog of S&W. Less numbers of 581's.

586 was discontinued around 1998 or 99......I don't remember which. More 586's made than 581's. Hope this helps. Regards 18DAI

Either of the 581's or 586's are scarce on the left coast and even the surrounding states. I've met experienced shooters who have never seen one and some who didn't know that a "blued 686" existed at one time.

I won't be surprised if S&W offers the 586 with a 2.5" barrel in the future. If so, it will be keeping with similar "boneheaded" moves of producing snubbies with adjustable sights instead of fixed sights. Snubbies are carry guns intended for short range -- 15 yards or less -- and most people practice with them at 10 to 15 yards. Fixed sights work just fine in that realm and a snubby 581 would fit that market nicely. In fact, a 581-PLUS with 7-shots would be extremely good for a carry gun.

18DAI

IIRC member DHart had a 581 converted to a 3 inch barrel with 7-shot cylinder installed. I think he posted photos of it here. I can't seem to find them though.

DHarts 3 inch custom 581+ gets my vote for "ultimate combat revolver". If the current company calling itself S&W had a clue, they would copy DHarts modifications.....to include no lock too! ;) Regards 18DAI.

chewie146

I've handled and owned newer smiths, and the revolver still seem to be great to me. They're more accurate than they have a right to be for a mass-produced arm with evil MIM parts. The lock doesn't really phase me. I'm more upset by a lever gun with a crossbolt than a little hole on a revolver. That new run is beautiful. Now if anyone could hook me up with the winning lotto numbers, I'll be picking one up. Silly kids and their "food" and "clothes."

FlyFish

Who would want a new one. I prefer the old pinned version.

Were there ever any pinned L-frames? I've never seen or heard of one, and SCSW makes no mention in their listing of engineering and production changes that they ever existed.

Tom - I remember Mas commenting on the same thing and hearing it repeated at the 2010 SHOT show. But S&W has given no time table for it. The source I talked to said there were some worries of "public perception" and they were testing the waters slowly.
I heard much the same, but I've never gotten anything out of the Smith reps I've spoken with. Frankly, I'd like to see it go.

Funny thing is, I've spoken with newer shooters who actually see the lock as a positive thing.