Smith & Wesson brings back the 586

BillCA

It's that time of year again and S&W is showing a re-introduced Model 586.

Available in either 4 or 6 inch barrels the 586 is the blued version of the popular selling 686. The 586 was produced for 19 years, starting at the same time as the 686 and ceasing in 1999. The 686 has been one of S&W's best selling .357 Magnum revolvers and enough interest voiced for a return of the blued 586 that S&W has complied.

Six inch 586 - SKU 150908
SW586_150908_01_md.jpg

Four inch 586 - SKU 150909
SW586_150909_01_md.jpg

MSRP of $809 translates into a probable street price of $695.

Homerboy

They won't sell many with that internal lock on there. They brought back the Model 10 "Classic", too. They didn't sell many.

excelerater

x2 on the LOCK deal.....I wont even buy one with that silly feature
but if I am not mistaken older versions were better anyways,pre MIM etc

Thank goodness they made a batch of Airweights this past year as
a NO LOCK.......cause that I did buy

CajunBass

They won't sell many with that internal lock on there. They brought back the Model 10 "Classic", too. They didn't sell many.

I don't know how much the lock has to do with it, some I'm sure, but I think it's more a price thing. Why should I pay that much for a "classic" when the original is easy to find on the used market for a lot less? :confused:

That would be especially true in the case of the Model 10.

carguychris

...I think it's more a price thing. Why should I pay that much for a "classic" when the original is easy to find on the used market for a lot less?... That would be especially true in the case of the Model 10.
+1. I'm under the impression that the "Classic" M10 didn't sell worth a darn, along with the "Classic" M36, another model that's fairly abundant on the used market.

That being said, this new gun is basically identical to AFAIK their most popular full-size revolver model- the M686. It might appeal to a buyer looking for one of those.

I have a hint for S&W: Reintroduce a M586 with a 2-1/2" barrel and a round butt. This particular gun is almost impossible to find on the used market, and I wager that it WILL sell.

The internal lock really isn't an issue to the vast majority of the buying public. The Model 10 Classics didn't sell well because they were pricier than the main line and there wasn't much demand for them. Most dealers have used specimens in great condition coming and going for half the cost.

A "new" 586? It might fly, because there are fewer of them and owners tend to keep them. However, nobody's really knocking the door down for them.

Baba Louie

Ya gotta do whatcha gotta do... but a 3" and a 5" might be more "collectible", as would a non fluted cylinder and a small run or two of the 581 version.

Maybe.

But, then again, Whadda I know?

Good for S&W. Hope they sell all of them.

skidder

I've read many complaints about the lock in several different forums. I don't understand why S & W doesn't just move it? The people that don't mind the locks aren't going to complain if it's in a less visible place, and the ones that dislike the location (like me) will be much happier :). Moving the lock seems like a win-win situation. Ruger & Taurus have locks (less visible), and they don't get a fraction of the backlash that Smith receives. I just don't get it :confused:. Is it stubbornness or something to do with the manufacturing cost?

KyJim

I agree with moving the lock. It would cost some money to re-engineer and to change the manufacturing process but SW would come out ahead. As far as most people today not caring about the hole, I disagree. Most of those wanting to shoot revolvers instead of semi-autos are aware of the hole. The idea of MIM doesn't bother me like it does some people.

Sevens

Moving the lock would be tough... the company that designed the lock bought Smith & Wesson. It's kind of a LARGE part of the handgun.

I don't think it's specifically the look of the lock that hurts the sale of these revolvers... I think the being able to see the lock lets people know that it's a newer S&W and not an older one. In effect, I agree that if it were hidden, it would help.

I think the Taurus location, execution and even look of the lock are better than what S&W came up with. But ya gotta love Ruger's lock, at least the one on my Blackhawk. It's under the grip panel. There is a place where you may drill a hole in the grip if you'd like to be able to access it, but it's otherwise untouched and forgotten like the dumb little item that it is.

trex1310

I thought some of you might like to see a model 586-1 that I have.
It is a nickle plated, 6" that is unfired, circa 1986:

SW_M586-1-unf_1.jpg

orionengnr

I had a 4" 586 for a while. Nice revolver, but I sold it for some stupid reason :) Probably because I prefer my M66.
There is no way I would buy a new one with The Lock.

I think the Taurus location, execution and even look of the lock are better than what S&W came up with.
If you're referring to the Taurus lock on the base of the hammer, I've seen several malfunction and lock up the gun. I've never seen a S&W lock cause a mechanical problem.

(Yes, yes, I know it's happened a few times, but the problem is overstated.)

All things said, the vast majority of the buying public really doesn't care about the locks one way or another.

BillCA

First of all, I prefer blued guns to stainless. For some reason most stainless guns just don't have the same "character" as blued guns do, in my eyes. Thus, the 586 looks much nicer to me with a deep blue finish than its stainless cousin.

I'm inclined to agree with:
carguychris said:
a M586 with a 2-1/2" barrel and a round butt. This particular gun is almost impossible to find on the used market, and I wager that it WILL sell.
It seems there were plenty of 586's made but few show up on the used market. Even harder to find are the "snubby" 586's in good shape. With more CCW's out there, it might be a good seller.

I posit however, that for a "snubby" revolver, the more logical choice would be either the discontinued Model 581 or 681 with a 3-inch barrel and a round butt grip. Both these revolvers were offered in a 4-inch only configuration when originally introduced. A fighting revolver doesn't really need adjustable sights for "close in" work at 25 yards or less.

S&W Model 581, 4-inch .357 Magnum, L-Frame, fixed sights
581_LF_7234.jpg

S&W Model 681, 4-inch .357 Magnum, stainless L-Frame, fixed sights
SmithWesson681.jpg

Either a 2.5" or 3" barrel would make these excellent carry guns akin to the older 3-inch Model 65/65LS. Better would be a 581/681 "Plus" with 7 shots!

old bear

I have a hint for S&W: Reintroduce a M586 with a 2-1/2" barrel and a round butt. This particular gun is almost impossible to find on the used market, and I wager that it WILL sell.
Or the 581 or 586 in 3".

I have a 586 -1 and it's one of my Favorites, it has enough heft to feel as if I have a real gun in my hand but is not bulky feeling.

BillCA

Lock and MIM parts

For those bashing the S&W by saying "I wont even buy one with that silly feature" let's also remember that the locks have been in use for over a decade now. If there were large numbers of failures we'd heard about it by now. At best, it is now a cosmetic issue with some people -- many of whom object less to Ruger's "lawyer-ese" on the barrel, magazine disconnects and "loaded chamber indicators" on autos.

As for those who say that MIM parts are inherently "inferior", do some research. Again, MIM has become a mature metallurgy process that works well, saves a lot of machining and labor time and still provides solid performance. Tolerances on the new MIM parts are actually tighter than on the older internal parts and the wear characteristics are virtually the same.*

Dragline45 - While the custom shop's 586 is a nice gun, it's street retail price is still over $1,100. That's a lot of money to tie up in even a very good carry gun. Especially considering that a stock gun would cost you around $695 and a good trigger job less than $200. (Nor am I fond of the way S&W "ports" their revolvers.)

* Wear characteristics are nearly identical according to a friend who is a retired metallurgist formerly with Lockheed missiles & space division.