smith new classic model 58 anyone?

Chesster

Yet another simple discussion of a new S&W product that devolves into lock-bashing.

I do not discriminate when it comes to firearm political correctness. Internal locks, external locks, folding/collapsible stocks, pistol grip prohibitions, bayonet lug prohibitions, capacity limits, size restrictions, etc.... all are just inching the camel's nose under the tent. "Common sense compromises" all which make firearms safer. Well, not quite, we will not be truly safe until they are eradicated. I may own one of these new Classics but will continue to point out its faults. Remember reading about the government's drive to disarm the Native American of those dangerous repeating rifles in the latter part of the 1800? Probably not as it is only spoken about among the few true Native Americans left. Single shot was all they needed for hunting. And why are there so few of those folks left to discuss this? It was a sad day when they gave those Indians the right to free speech, eh!!!!!! :mad:

by Chesster
The Unapologetic Basher

Webleymkv

I do not discriminate when it comes to firearm political correctness. Internal locks, external locks, folding/collapsible stocks, pistol grip prohibitions, bayonet lug prohibitions, capacity limits, size restrictions, etc.... all are just inching the camel's nose under the tent. "Common sense compromises" all which make firearms safer. Well, not quite, we will not be truly safe until they are eradicated. I may own one of these new Classics but will continue to point out its faults. Remember reading about the government's drive to disarm the Native American of those dangerous repeating rifles in the latter part of the 1800? Probably not as it is only spoken about among the few true Native Americans left. Single shot was all they needed for hunting. And why are there so few of those folks left to discuss this? It was a sad day when they gave those Indians the right to free speech, eh!!!!!!

Sigh, I rest my case. We are incapable, it seems, of discussing S&W products without political bantering.

BillCA

I am also amused by those who see the term "classic" and the whine about the fact that the gun isn't made to the 1965 specs... or whatever prior year... and at the same time complain about the price being such that they'd rather buy "an original".

I my mind, these are the kind of people who expect something for nothing or set such high expectations that they'll always be disappointed and thus have something to complain about.

Case in point. At our local shop, a customer ordered a blued revolver - a 1917 classic IIRC - and when he came in to finish the transaction, he became utterly irate that someone in the store had already handled the gun. He was further incensed when he discovered the powder rings on three chambers and accused the staff of shooting his gun. He was further angered about a 15% restocking fee for cancelling a custom order. Whine, b***h and complain.

When I see people complain about the machined cylinder stop not being "original" I ask them if it'd be worth another $100 to them. Of course not.. that's the way S&W should build them. This is confusing, since the older stud method is actually less robust than the machined style which not only saves parts and labor, but production time. Folks complain about MIM, but forget the expense involved in machining very small parts with complex shapes and the waste involved when errors are made.

We'll soon see the day when revolvers are too expensive to produce. The extra labor needed to produce them, versus a semi-auto pistol, will eventually put them into the same category that a Colt SAA or Korth revolver is today.

When semi-autos have about 25 to 30% of their parts made from stampings and the frames made from injection molded Barbie dolls, the profit margins are much higher. The ability to interchange parts and minimal fitting will make these the bread & butter guns of all manufacturers, if they're not already.

22-rimfire

I will probably buy one of the new Model 58's when I see one in the flesh. I don't care if it has the lock. I just want a Model 58!

As far as new guns go... When I purchased my Model 57 Mountan Gun. There was already a light cylinder drag ring on it. I was going to shoot it anyway, so I didn't get too excited about it. It is currently my favorite 41 mag shooter these days even though I do have choices.

The 41 mag will feel stout from a recoil perspective if you are not used to shooting 44 mags or larger caliber handguns. For me, yes there is recoil, but I shoot them so well that I don't care. GA Arms loads some low powered 41 mag ammo if you are interested. Also from time to time, there will be some "bulk" 41 mag ammo at Outdoor Marksman.

Leejack

Don't buy the new Dodge Challenger or the new Chevy Camero either. They weren't made in the 60's or 70's. Can't be any good!

If I said they were good, that might devalue my old muscle car.:eek:

Get the gun you want!

BillCA

GA Arms loads some low powered 41 mag ammo if you are interested. Also from time to time, there will be some "bulk" 41 mag ammo at Outdoor Marksman.

GA arms has some good stuff from what I hear. Unfortunately the shipping to the left coast makes it prohibitively expensive without a group buy.

Rimfire - have you fired any of that DRMS .41 Magnum from Outdoor Marksman? How was it? Consistent? ODM never did answer my email about the performance specs for that ammo.

22-rimfire

I have an ammo can full, but unfortunately I have not shot any. Next trip to the range, I'll include some of that. Sorry I could not be more helpful.