smith new classic model 58 anyone?

FlyFish

There are a few "real" 58s on Gunbroker right now. There's nothing really "classic" about the current Classic Series, with their MIM parts and ILs (and other issues). For myself, I'd rather have the real thing with a little holster wear rather than a brand new modern imitation, but I recognize there are other opinions out there.

stevieboy

Indeed, there are other opinions. I realize that Shooting Times is a gun rag and, like most, praises every product it reviews, but take a look at the May issue comparing the "Classic" 27 (357 as opposed to the 58's 41 magnum) with the original model 27. The newer version comes out looking as good or better than the original.

Having said that, I recently bought a used 27, after dithering over whether to buy the "Classic" version. Not because I'm one of those who thinks everything went to hell at Smith after about 1991 (I'm definitely not), but simply because I found a gun in great condition for 2/3 of the price of the Classic. Turns out it's a great shooter and I couldn't be more pleased. So, my advice is to look around a bit before you buy the Classic. If you can find one of the older versions in good shape you might wind up saving yourself some change. If not, then buy the Classic with confidence.

Chesster

These new Smiths are Classic Wannabees.

Here is a customized classic.
Pic006.jpg

porkskin

the new mustang and dodge challenger aren't the exact same as the old ones but that makes them less cool in their own way? i am really surprised at the lack of support for smith trying to bring some new (old) flavor to their product line. if you hadn't noticed, the revolver line had gotten quite vanilla.

Gun 4 Fun

Those of us who know what Smith can be, aren't happy with what they are right now. They don't need that stupid lock. It's just to appease two states. If they stopped selling in those two states, maybe the people who live there would put enough pressure on the state legislation to change those rediculous laws.
The lock is butt ugly right there out in the open. If it was better hidden, I don't think that it would be quite as big an issue for a lot of potential buyers.

Archie

Another vote for quality...

I think the model 58 Smith & Wesson revolver is simply a dandy and nearly perfect self defense and general use revolver. Big enough to care for most problems and small enough to carry all day.

However...

Current Smith & Wesson revolvers are cheap copies of Smith & Wesson revolvers.

For the 'challenged', this means get rid of the lock; put real barrels on the guns instead of 'sleeves', pin the barrels in place and recess the chambers. And machine all the parts. With CNC machinery, it can't be that hard.

American Eagle

the new mustang and dodge challenger aren't the exact same as the old ones but that makes them less cool in their own way? i am really surprised at the lack of support for smith trying to bring some new (old) flavor to their product line. if you hadn't noticed, the revolver line had gotten quite vanilla.

I agree, some of the old timers here are too critical of anything modern that S&W produces and almost seem to look down upon any new members who buy a modern Smith & Wesson.

So they have locks, Smith & Wesson never said they were exact replicas, they clearly state these are new and improved guns styled in part after certain classics of the company's past.

Last edited:

WVfishguy

So they have locks, Smith & Wesson never said they were exact replicas, they clearly state these are new and improved guns styled in part after certain classics of the company's past.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but I'm curious - how are the new Smiths improved? I admit I have not done a lot of research on new Smiths.

However, last week my dealer showed me a 340 PD where the cylinder exploded like a hand grenade. Blew into four sections, they only found two parts.

And this was with .38 special. :eek:

I don't remember any old Smith 'hand-grenading."

stevieboy

I can assure you that Smith made the occasional lemon in the good old days even as it makes the occasional lemon today. But, and in fact, Smith is still the premier manufacturer of revolvers and the quality of their products remains top notch.

I have Smiths that are pinned and recessed with forged parts and, of course, no lock, and I have Smiths that are not pinned and recessed, have MIM parts, and a lock. All of them function superbly. My 2007 model 686-6 with a lock and all of the other things that traditionalists hate is as accurate and durable a gun as I've ever fired To date I've put over 5,000 rounds through that gun, everything from 148gr .38 special wadcutters right up through 125gr 357s without so much as a hiccup. My 1970 66 no-dash is pinned, recessed, with forged parts and no lock, and is one sweet shooter.

My point is that there really is no solid evidence to show that modern Smith revolvers are of inferior quality. There are anecdotes about this gun blowing up or that gun locking up but those are easily matched by stories of older guns with equally serious defects. Those who are traditionalists might not like the manufacturing changes but, fortunately for them, there are plenty of options out there. Those of us who are not concerned about the "new" Smiths can feel free to purchase what we like and enjoy it.

BillCA

I'm actually glad to see the Model 58 return. It gives a lot of folks the chance to use a revolver that is nicely balanced for a small hand howitzer. And I'm hoping it will spur ammo companies to produce some less expensive target and self-defense .41 ammo. The Model 58 is best fired with the equivilant of the 210 gr LSWC at about 1000 fps. Target loads at around 925 fps are easier to shoot and still hit hard with 400 ft-lbs.

The only thing better than owning a Model 58 is owning two of them! :D

M58x2SW_1032S.jpg

Chesster

I agree, some of the old timers here are too critical of anything modern that S&W produces and almost seem to look down upon any new members who buy a modern Smith & Wesson.

Well I resemble this remark. I don't look down on the new members who buy modern Smiths. I do look down on Smith for producing these new abominations and calling them "Classic". I bought a Thunder Ranch Model 21 because I could not find an original model 21. It is a shooter but I am not thrilled with it. We often take what we can find. But I would never consider my TR21 a classic. My mid 1980s 24/624, maybe. What galls me is why Smith does not produce the original design guns with the original lockless mechanisms if they want to call them classics!!!!! I would then be willing to pay the near four digit price tag for one of original design.

FlyFish

What galls me is why Smith does not produce the original design guns with the original lockless mechanisms if they want to call them classics!!!!! I would then be willing to pay the near four digit price tag for one of original design.

That pretty much sums it up for me as well. I don't question the functional quality of the current generation of Smiths, and I certainly would never look down on anyone for buying and using one. They're just not for me, but then again there are lots of things these days that aren't for me either.

RevolverRO

Classics...not.

I bought a Thunder Ranch Model 22 when they first came out. Like the Model 21, I'd love to own an original but that just isn't feasible.

I'm not thrilled with the locks or the weird 'bar' machined on the side of the recoil shield as a replacement for the hard-to-machine cylinder retention stud, but I removed the lock and I can live with the 'bar'. I enjoy it as a nice retro-looking shooter, but I wouldn't call it a 'classic' unless it was produced exactly the same as the original. It's more like a kit-car copy of a classic sportscar.

Jart

The notion that one can buy an original classic for the same or less money than a nouveau classic is a concept that seems less and less grounded in reality as time marches on.

And it seems to apply even less to certain models.

For whatever reason (fewer 58s than 57s produced perhaps?), the older fixed sight version seems to be going for well over what 57s command locally and Gunbroker isn't providing much in the way of exceptions. As of this writing, there's a couple 58s at 1,200.00, one at 1,000.00 and one with a BIN of 675.00.

In stark contrast, at least one online retailer was selling the new version for just under 600.00, delivered.

I'm no fan of the latest changes but if I was buying to shoot, as opposed to collect, I'd have a really, really hard time trying to convince myself I should pay extra, perhaps a lot extra, for one not so afflicted.

I'd be curious how it does in the market place. On the one hand, it's a given that the real world cares not one whit about the lock in contrast to gun board denizens. On the other hand, it's also a given that the real world has not been kind to blued as opposed to stainless revolvers - again, in contrast to gunboard backchatter. So the lock shouldn't hurt the sales but the blue will? I wouldn't know where to place my bet on that one.

Webleymkv

Jart has an excellent point. Most if not all the revolvers re-introduced in S&W's Classic line sell for the same if not less than a vintage gun of the same model. Many people seem not to realize that the days of seeing S&W's lying in the corners of pawnshops with $100-200 price tags are rapidly disappearing as the police trade-in market becomes ever more dominated by semi-automatics. Most of the guns offered in the classice series, particularly in the barrel lengths that I prefer, cannot be touched in their vintage form for less than a four-figure price tag.