Smith and Wesson serial number search

BuckeyeBoys

Help please identify model and year, barrel marked .32 S&W Long and it's a snub nose. Numbers under the crane are 37xxx and also a separate 9 and a separate N. Made in Springfield, Mass. Number on the butt is 620490.
Thank you!

Last edited:

laytonj1

Help please identify model and year, barrel marked .32 S&W Long and it's a snub nose. Numbers under the crane are 37xxx and also a separate 9 and a separate N. Made in Springfield, Mass. Number on the butt is 620490.
Thank you!
Two possible models. If it has a round butt it would be a 32 hand ejector (pre model 30). If it has a square butt then it is a 32 regulation police (pre model 31). Model numbers did not start until 1957. Your serial number is ~1955.

Jim

laytonj1

Model 31-1 SN:726XXX when made?

Should be the J-frame

thanks.
The book does not break it down real well but shows post war production starting at serial number 536685 in 1948 and production ending at 826977 in 1991. It also mentions that the dash 1 (J frame) started in 1961 at serial number 712954 so, you would be pretty close to that date.

Jim

Flinthill

Yes there is a V on the beginnng of the serial number.
But it was far left of the numbers. That’s how I knew it was a victory model

b79holmes

66-2, AJWxxxx

I have a 66-2 serial number AJW4XXX.

I have the Standard Catalog of S&W, 3rd edition but do not see serial number 's prefixed with AJ or a range that would include AJ on page 400 of "All Other Revolver Models".

What am I getting wrong?
Bill

Jim Watson

V498XXX would be the model number then

No, that is the serial number. Smith and Wessons did not have model numbers in WWII. It is a Military and Police .38 Hand Ejector.
The V prefix is said to have been added because they didn't want to run serial numbers up into the millions. "Victory Model" is a made up modern collector's term.

laytonj1

I have a 66-2 serial number AJW4XXX.

I have the Standard Catalog of S&W, 3rd edition but do not see serial number 's prefixed with AJ or a range that would include AJ on page 400 of "All Other Revolver Models".

What am I getting wrong?
Bill
1984 – AAU, ABV, ABZ, ACZ, ADE, ADM, ADR, ADT, ADW, AEA, AEB, AEC, AEF, AEL, AEM, AEV, AEZ, AFA, AFJ, AFK, AFM

1985 – AAV, ACC, ACJ, ADA, ADP, ADZ, AEF, AEH, AEM, AER, AEW, AFB, AFK, AFL, AFN, AFR, AFS, AHA, AHB, AHC, AHJ, AHP, AHS, AHT, AHV, AJB, AJD, AJJ, AJH, ALA, ALB, ALC, ALU, ALV, ALW

1986 – ACE, ACV, AJC, AJD, AJN, AJS, AJT, AJW, AHC, AHU, AJS, ALW, ANA, ANB, ANF, ANK, ANN, ANP, AUB, AUC, AUH, AUM, AUU, AVC, AVT

1987 – AFL, AHC, AHV, ALC, ANK, ANN, ANR, ANS, AUC, AUK, AUV, AVA, AVB, AVN, AVV, AVY, AWD, AWE, AWF, AWP, AWT, AWU, AWW, AWY, AYE, AYF, AYL, AYW

1988 – AFZ, AWP, AYC, AYE, AYM, AYR, AYU, AYY, AWD, AZA, AZH, AZJ, AZE, AZL, BAF, BAN, BAP, BAR, BAS, BBA, BBF, BBH, BBN, BBT

Supica, Jim,Nahas, Richard. Standard Catalog of Smith & Wesson (Standard Catalog of Smith and Wesson) (Kindle Locations 17043-17050). F+W Media. Kindle Edition.

Jim

Joshwo

Can you please check on my year and possibly a price? Smith and Wesson model 29-4 serial number BCA 9xxx. I do have the original box and scope rings that come with it. Just trying to get more info as I inherited it when my grandfather passed.

laytonj1

Can you please check on my year and possibly a price? Smith and Wesson model 29-4 serial number BCA 9xxx. I do have the original box and scope rings that come with it. Just trying to get more info as I inherited it when my grandfather passed.
Serial number dates it to 1989.
Price depends on condition, if original box and documents are with it and location.
As long as it’s not beat up it could range from $750 to over $1K retail.

Jim

kirkcdl

I'd also appreciate any info anyone has for a gun I just picked up in an auction,it's a DA45 with what appears to be ivory grips,ser number is 1647XX...TIA for your help...

PatCityB279

S&W Model 581 Manufacture Date

I would greatly appreciate it if someone with access to the S&W Catalog could look up the manufacture date for my S&W Model 581 S/N AEN8XXX.

laytonj1

Regarding a PreM-31, a .32 Regulation Police , SN 6731XX, 2" barrel, likely in the mid 50's??
The upper side plate screw was eliminated in 1956 at around serial number 641000 with model number stamping beginning in 1957. So, that would put yours right in that 1956/57 window.

Jim