Smith 686 or Ruger GP

I've had a stainless GP100 for a long time - as a rather extreme reloader it was a good bet I think: Just about impossible to bust. The SW though is a finer gun in my 'pinion... shoots smooth and those I've seen have a finer finish. Now a Colt Python... well you didn't ask but :D

Actually I recall one time at a range I happened to own a Brazilian 357 (not Taurus - a cheaper Rossi - they were bought out later by Taurus) and alongside was a pard with a Python - we shot them side by side - and danged if the humble Rossi didn't have a the sleeker action! - It was probably just that Rossi but - goes to show that in these chioces - there can be surprises.

croyance

bbarnet256, light strikes were probably just because of some springs - yes, revolvers have them too. That is not a testament to the design. Your Glock with worn springs will also get light strikes on the primer.
It could be that the previous owner tried to lighten the DA pull too much.

bbarnett256

Thanks for the input Croyance. I'm just spouting off a bit because of of my mishap at the range today with a brand new revolver. I'm starting to return to more rational thought. After all, I've owned only 3 autos that were reliable "out of the box" also. In any case, the rangemaster removed the grip and adjusted the mainspring with a set screw. (I'm not sure on exact terminology, I won't pretend to know more than I do). He seemed to be one of those "Mr. Know it all" types and rubbed me the wrong way. His adjustment did not improve anything, lots of "clicks" and dented primers. As an aside, another range workder had previously re-issued me new ammo, suspecting the ammo was faulty. He was being polite. After it was determined that it was in fact the gun that was faulty (the one they had sold me a week earlier) "Mr. Know it all" was peeved and charged me for all the ammuntion. (I had only used about 18 rounds out of 3 boxes). Needless to say, I won't be purchasing from that store anymore.