Skeet, gotta know when to DUCK

olddrum1

Several years ago we had a trapper that went to load the bird machine on a rabbit/bird setup. The only problem was instead of releasing the empty bird machine he tripped the loaded rabbit machine. Took a rabbit point blank across the bridge of his nose and eye traveling across his brow. Safety glasses saved the young mans eye.

mete

It also depends on how a range is set up.At one sporting clays range we were suddenly showered with pellets ! The owner raised hell with the shooters at another position - they had been using heavy target instead of light target loads .

PJR

There was a shooting demo on YouTube a while back. I made the comment that the shooter should have been wearing eye protection. I couldn't believe the grief I got: some folks thought shooting glasses were totally unnecessary and others called me a sissy for wearing them.
I believe it. Our club has a mandatory eye protection rule for shooters and spectators and it is enforced rigorously. We've heard every excuse and have a supply of low-cost eye protection in the club house for people who "forgot." One warning per customer and if that doesn't work you are told to leave. No exceptions.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
BJP, I inquired as to why they claim 2+ years to go away and that they could slightly affect the PH of the soil as being "bio-degradable"...

The thing is that they are a "No Coal Tar Pitch" version... What you ol' timers have shot for ever contain "petroleum based" material. I understand that this was once used as a way to kill clay sports thus removing one more reason to be able to own guns.

And frankly, any time I can avoid returning petroleum products thru the topsoil I sure will.

Brent

BigJimP

What you're saying is probably true on petrolium based targets - and it is good to get them out of the soil and not endanger the water ...but I'm not convinced at this point that the bio-degradeable ones are completely inert either.

I also don't buy the 2 yrs to break down ....I think it maybe 10+ or more ....

But a lot of clubs are actively cleaning up target litter and wads that are downrange ...as well as "mining" the lead shot at the fall zones. I'm not convinced the old style targets were really an issue in terms of ground water.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Yeah i don't know details either... as far as "inert" I feel the "BIO" birds just wouldn't have a measurable toxicity.

I also expect that the coal tar would only affect fields where heavy shooting occurred.

Brent

zippy13

I don't toss targets where the land will be cultivated or grazed. As far as the inert targets are concerned, I much prefer the ert ones.

BigJimP

Can we just get some of them bigger ...for us old guys ....( and slower ) ...

or just count the best 25 out of 30 ....???

oneounceload

The old ones posed a danger to porcine animals- with us being over run by them, maybe using regular ones to help poison those suckers isn't such a bad idea. The bio's destroy the grasses and such where they are.

I have shot clays at clubs where parts were cattle grazing areas as well as over rice paddies - in California no less - there was never any issues or worries

hopper810

I'm not sure how they are doing it(keep forgetting to ask)but at my club somehow they're picking up and using the broken clays to put down on the S/C's course roads to help keep the dust down.Of course after you run over them a couple times they turn into a nice trail.

Pretty neat idea