Single-Stack Subcompact DA/SA in 9mm?

sigarms228

Alright. I just started putting stats into a spreadsheet. Width is a big part of what prompted this thread. It looks like only the 3913 and the XDe get in around an inch wide. The heavier Sig P239 comes in at 1.2". The next thinnest I found is the double-stack Sphinx SDP subcompact at 1.22". The Sphinx compares favorably with the Rami except in height, though it gains three rounds for that extra third of an inch and matches the XDe at 5".

Weight and height matter, but I'm not entirely sure how much. The P99C is really light at 21.5 ounces and is only 4.3" tall, but is also 1.3" wide. (The regular P99 is relatively compact for a full-size.)

I'll check local shops and keep my fingers crossed for the next gun show. I'd like to get my hands on a 3913 to see how it feels. I'd also like to get the Sphinx SDP subcompact in my hands. I've heard mostly good things about that one too.
Well good luck. I handled a 3913 and it is as wide as a Glock 19. Be careful when looking at specs as a lot of places list "slide width" which is not the same as "overall width" which includes controls. I believe you might have a pretty hard time finding parts for a 3913 also. I have been CCW my Walther PPS quite a bit again with the warmer weather and the thinness of it sure makes for comfortable all day CCW. Though not as thin I must say my HK P30SK is fairly comfortable to CCW also.

priler

like I said, it doesn't exist.(if you want to stick to 9mm and TDA, unless the height and length of the XD-E is satisfactory, which it isn't for the type of niche I wanted to fill).

you have to give up one or the other(9mm or TDA) or make a compromise with something that was not designed from the outset with thinness throughout.(PPS).

your choices are.

a) choose something that is based on existing (duty or "normal") guns but made smaller in height and length, like the Rami and others. the P239 is basically it's own gun but I feel it qualifies in this category. if you look from on top of the slide on a Rami next to something like the PPS, the Rami is humongous. PX4 etc., etc.. (some have options for thinner controls but they still are what they are).

b) find something that was designed for being small and thin from the outset but before the "new" definition of thin. the S&W CS and 3913(there're several models or similar) sit here and are in fact a great option but make sure that it fits your definition of thin and light because a PPS they're not.

(there was a craze not too long ago with people buying up used S&W models and some of the parts on these are drying up) (I've had enough of out of production guns and don't want more but maybe your different).

c) give up on 9mm or TDA and the sun begins to shine through. (I will not give up on TDA and new technology has at least help me with the 9mm-as-a-minimum issue). (new research is in order for anyone looking at .380 ACP).

Taurus has/had some models that fit somewhere in these categories but mostly they seem not to be TDA but instead SA with second strike capabilities.

good luck whatever you do.

HighValleyRanch

I found mine in the Sig P230. It fits all the thiness, size requirements, and DA/SA.
Shoots like a dream. .380 but 8+1
Good luck on your find, but you will have to compromise.

subhuman

the Sig P225A1 is easy to find and in production
the Sig P239 SAS is the best carry model of the 239s and although out of production it was built for years and all models are easy to find.
Bersa and Taurus are both building single stack 9mm polymere pistols right now that I have handled but not shot I would lean towards the Bersa but Taurus has came a long way under new management in the last few years

alancac98

How big are you Cosmo? I know you want a small gun for concealment purposes but the size of the person does give you some leeway. I carry an XDS, but I'm 5'8" and about 150. So, for me size does matter a bit. For all intents and purposes, I should be carrying a tiny .380. Now a buddy of mine, 6'2 and 240 pounds, can basically carry a 1911 and conceal it on his large frame. Just some thoughts.

alancac98

What about a Sig P938 micro compact?

Barrel - 3"
Total length - 5.1"
Width - 1.1
Weight - 16 oz.
Capacity - 6/7 rounds
Cal. 9mm

Cosmodragoon

How big are you Cosmo? I know you want a small gun for concealment purposes but the size of the person does give you some leeway. I carry an XDS, but I'm 5'8" and about 150. So, for me size does matter a bit...

I'm a big guy but I'm not looking for a primary EDC. I'm looking to round out my EDC rotation. I live in a place with variable weather and big seasonal swings. Between that and different kinds of activities, what I wear changes a lot. I like to have a few different choices for guns, knives, and other EDC gear to match the day.

... the Sig P239 SAS is the best carry model of the 239s and although out of production...

I passed on a good deal for a P239 SAS Gen II a while back and have regretted it ever since. It was right before we found out it was going out of production.