Single stack 9mm pistols

peacefulgary

I have no interest in 1911's or 1911 style pistols.
I don't like a SAO pistol with a manual safety.

A DA/SA with a decocker or decocker/safety is ok since I would just decock and leave the safety off, but cocked and locked with a manual safety on is not what I want.

But thanks to everyone for all the replies!

zukiphile

I am unapologetic in my fondness for the 1911. It's my standard for correct feel; for me, nothing point shoots like a 1911. It's concealable, has mild recoil, but carries a punch. If you are accustomed to it, the thumb safety lock is easy to use, and keeps the arm from discharging until it is raised to the target and the safety swept down. It's THE pistol.

BigJimP said:
You absolutely get what you pay for in many well made 1911's ! The idea that you don't, just makes no sense to me.
In my view, there's a lot of cheap, poorly made 1911's out there...with really low quality internal parts...price is not the only way to tell they probably cut some corners on those guns, but its a strong indication...and on many of them, they sure don't have much of a warranty.

It sounds as if you've spend wisely considering that you've put $20,000 or $30,000 in ammunition down the barrels of your pistol.

Unlike you, most pistol buyers aren't looking to spend more than a thousand dollars on something they will probably lose if they ever have to use it. This means that they are probably looking at 1911s in the $500 to $700 range. In that range, more modern and more durable designs abound. For the price of a mediocre (or substandard) 1911 that would benefit from some further work, lots of people will see a Sig or HK as a better choice.

I think a modernised 1911 would have a place. Ruger came close with the P345 - a single stack using essentially a 1911 magazine, but with a CZ/Sig style barrel to slide lock-up, but it had some QC and design issues. I gave up on 1911s when the tunnel that holds the plunger and spring for the safety lock separated from my frame. My P345 was a better pistol (not better than yours, but better than my 1911).

Last edited:

Bart Noir

As has been hinted at above, the SIG P239 has just been discontinued. The picture on SIG's website now takes you to "Error 404, Page Not Found".

So if you want one, buy fast as they will become scarce. Which magazines already are. I just got the .357 SIG barrel and magazines for my .40 version, and boy howdy it is accurate.

Bart Noir

zukiphile

Sig is probably thinking that the new P365 with 10+1 capacity makes the P239 obsolete.

It looks to me as if the 239 has been lightly restyled and retained as the 225. I wonder whether any striker fired pistol is really going to make a hammer fired pistol obsolete. I much prefer the trigger on hammer fired pistols I've shot.

I've not held any of the new 225s. I like my 239s not because the are the best in any specific, but because it's a sort of goldilocks that works for me. It's about the smallest pistol I can shoot comfortably.

JJNA

I have an older Sig P225 and the new P225A. Unlike many others, I like the new version better. The grip is more ergonomic and the trigger is easier to reach and lighter (mine has a short reset). I like the lines of the new 225A.

Bart Noir

I notice that the P225A is only offered in 9mm. So now SIG doesn't make a single stack pistol in .40 S&W or .357 SIG. Perhaps that is coming. The SHOT show is almost upon us!

Bart Noir

dreaming

I was watching a P239 in stock at my LGS and was on the edge of buying it. Unfortunately, I was waiting on a decision on a CCW, which is hard to get in California. Still waiting and meanwhile the P239 is gone. As for both the P225A and the many other guns, they are not available in California, the land where time has stood still and you can only get guns that were in production when the state passed its so called safe gun act. The effect of it is you can't buy the newer and often the safest guns.

HighValleyRanch

Unfortunately, I was waiting on a decision on a CCW, which is hard to get in California. Still waiting and meanwhile the P239 is gone. As for both the P225A and the many other guns, they are not available in California, the land where time has stood still and you can only get guns that were in production when the state passed its so called safe gun act. The effect of it is you can't buy the newer and often the safest guns.

It all depends where you live in California. The more remote counties are more CCW friendly. I heard Yuba county has over 800 holders.

Off list handguns still can be purchased, but only face to face transfers. So find a club, forum that lists guns for sale and meet them at the dealer and you can still find the new guns, although usually at a premium price.

dreaming

HighValleyRanch, Thanks. I have been keeping an eye on what is available via PPT on Calguns.com. It would be so much nicer if we could buy new from a dealer at regular street prices like those of us living in free states.

dreaming

It ain't a single stack but what about the new Sig P365 that was just announced? It has what is being called a narrow neck double stack that holds 10 rds and you can get a 12 rd mag for it, but the gun is just an inch thick and smaller than a shield or a g43. One or both of those may be a hair thinner than the 365. I don't recall.

JDBerg

I was back east over the holidays and I lucked out when when I picked up a LNIB Sig P239 SAS Gen2. I honestly think this gun has never been fired but that will be addressed very soon, possibly this weekend. Couldn’t pass this one up for $550.00, especially since these are now discontinued!