Simmons scopes--- There must be at least one person who is satisfied !

twoinchgroup52

I needed more power for my .223 barreled Contender. Traded in my Tasco 1.25-4x scope plus $55 for a Simmons 2.5-7x handgun scope. After reading the various posts on the various forums, all I read is that Simmons scopes are "JUNK". There must be someone out there who is at least mimimally satisfied with their Simmons scope. If so, please respond. I know it's not a Leupold or a Burris, but for a moderately priced scope is it possible that I could keep the slighest hope that this scope will perform adequately?? If not, I feel like I just tossed my money down the toilet! Please help me keep my dignity and tell me somebody in this whole wide world is satisfied with their junky Simmons scope. Sincerely, twoinchgroup52.

bullet44

Sorry, they are junk, put one on a Ruger
10/22, would not adjust, sent it back,
some better but still not usable for me.
Burris,etc, from now on.!!!

------------------

riddleofsteel

JD Jones of SSK makers of aftermarket barrels for the Contender and Encore pistols highly recomends top of the line Simmons pistol scopes. i on the other hand have had a 2.5 Simmons fail. i do have a 4X Simmons rubber armored scope that has been on an SKS for many thousands of rounds and is sound to this day. Simmons has an excellent warranty dept. probably due to having so much practice.

------------------
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what is for lunch.
Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the outcome of the vote.
Let he that hath no sword sell his garment and buy one. Luke 22-36
They all hold swords, being expert in war: every man hath his sword upon his thigh because of fear in the night. Song of Solomon 3-8
The man that can keep his head and aims carefully when the situation has gone bad and lead is flying usually wins the fight.

Oleg Volk

Staff Alumnus
I liked a 4x32 Simmons atop of a Mini14 Ranch till I shot outdoors with it. Ooops...and light behind me would show the internals of the scope which were not properly blackened. Basically it flared in backlight and had distracting light streaks in frontlight. Not good.

TaxPhd

I have a Simmons 4X12 (Whitetail Classic, i think) that was on my 7mm mag. for approx. 750 shots. It is now mounted on an Arms #5 base that I swap out with an Aimpoint Comp ML on my AR-15, and it has seen over 2,000 rounds on that rifle. It has functioned flawlessly. Would definately use Simmons again. Midway routinely has good sales on Simmons scopes.

KY-Midnight

I have a simmons whitetail 6.5-20x50 AO, dropped onto a modified Mosin Nagant 7.62x54R.
It works great, I have shot it alot, and it is accurate, easy to deal with and reliable. On the other hand my Mosin is not the most accurate thing out there, so I don't expect to much from it, (It does have a nice 2 1/2 ft long flash when I fire it though, whoo hoo) but I can hit 1 gal milk jugs at ~300 meters (usually
smile.gif
)
That being said, I also have a Simmons 22mag scope on my 10/22, and it keeps losing it zero. Dunno why, just does.
They are not junk if you get a good one, but it's just kinda luck

Dogger

I have a $40 Walmart special Simmons 3-9x32 on my Marlin 30-30 and it holds zero well. I am satisfied with it. Of course, next scope I buy will be a Leupold Vari-X II for the upcoming purchase of a 30-06... this because so many people swear by them.

WalterGAII

I've been using their Gold Metal Sil. on a couple of my varmint rifles and my Bushmaster for several years now. It's a great scope, with good optics.

I just mounted the el-cheapo Whitetail Classic 6.5X20X50mm on my Bushmaster. I'm really surprised at how clear it is. Kid at the range who'd never fired an AR before shot a 3/4" group with it yesterday.

I don't shoot any hi-recoiling rifles, so I don't know how these scopes would stand up to high recoil.

Steve Smith

I have a 6-24X44 Aetec and I love it. It's mounted on a Savage 12BVSS in .22-250 with a 20 oz. Precision trigger. 1/2 MOA all day.

plateshooter

I use the 4X12 WTC on my Armalite AR. Works great, holds zero, very clear, clicks go where they're supposed to. I am very satisfied with that scope. I had a Simmons 22mag on a 10-22, and it was the biggest pos I ever had. Wouldn't hold zero, wouldn't hold in the mounts. Almost caused me to make a shovel handle out of that rifle until I tried another scope. There was no problem with the rifle.

------------------
Good shootin to ya
Plateshooter

BMiracle

I have Simmons scopes on my 243 and my 308. Both will shoot 1/2 MOA all day. The trick is not to buy bottom line anyhting....even Leupold or Burris. I have a 3-9X40 on my 243 and a 6-18X40 adjustable for prallax on my 308. Love them.

docstodd

I have 2 simmons scopes one on a browning buckmark it has also been on TC 357max & 7-30 waters. the other is on a Ruger redhawk 44. both have done well so far.
seams to me that JD Jones or Lerry Kelly recomend your scope on there custom guns
hope this helps you feel better
BTW I also have burris and tasco pistol scopes all have features I like also have features I don't

tackdriver

Yep, junk. I got one premounted in some BS package deal from wally world last fall on a Winchester M 70. It was one of those 3-9x32 deals. After bore sighting it took two different sessions to get the darn thing zeroed and quite a bruise on my shoulder. As posted above, the flare/glare is terrible and the adjustments are totally unreliable. I then purchased a Leupold Vari-X II 3-9x40 and could not believe the difference $200 made.
I've used one of their higher-end models on a Marlin 30-30 and it was okay, but no match for the Leupold.
I was also one of these, "Ah, it can't be THAT bad guys" until becoming a Leupold convert.

Art Eatman

Staff in Memoriam
I put a Simmons 44 Mag on my '06, back in early 1997. I guess I've shot maybe 250 rounds with it. Got a 1/2" bench rest group. Got a nice antelope. Works well for plinking at 400 and 500 yards.

It's ridden in my truck in the hard-ride back country without its zero getting knocked off, which is a pretty good test in itself.

Never used any other Simmons, so I don't know about them, one way or the other.

FWIW, Art

LOCHFAL

I have a Simmons 44 mag scope on my 24" colt Hbar. I have nothing but praise for that particular scope. It holds up to all kinds of abuse and still gives good groups out to 300 yds. I'm sure the less expensive scopes are worse.I've had people tell me simmons doesn't have the best reputation for customer service but I havn't had to find out for myself.

Steve Smith

twoinchgroups52, looks like there's a serious trend here. Those of us who buy the 44Mag of upward on the Simmons line have been quite happy, while the "bargain" scopes must be pretty poor. Bottom line is, if you like the Simmons, spend more to get into their "serious" line. If Swarovski starts putting out a $500 scope, steer clear of it too.

whiskey

I have a simmons 44 mag scope on a Savage .300 win mag. It has never given me any trouble. And it's been moose, bear, sheep, and deer hunting from Alaska to Alabama. I just couldn't see paying hundreds of dollars for a scope to sit on a savage. I also have a simmons whitetail 3-9X32 on a 10/22 that has killed more squirrels and grouse and rabbits than you can imagine. Never a problem.

------------------
so he cocked both his pistols, spit in the dirt, and walked out into the street.