Simmons 8 point scope

Blindstitch

dakota.potts,
I don't know why but some people just can't leave well enough alone and have to fiddle with with the adjustments on everything. They should almost include a pack of superglue to keep the caps closed. I know guys that adjust their scopes several times a year without going to the range to verify. They could really use some of those nuns I had in school to hit them with a ruler.

Many people have set and forget rifles.

I do envy those people who have rifles, scopes, hunting tags and abilities to shoot long range where they need all the gadgets and bulletproof scopes.

Ever watch those GunWerks videos of long range hunting. I think all scopes on those rifles are $2400 and for a good reason.

This one should do fine in the under 200 yard range but more likely 25-75 yard range. If it fail I will come back to this post and update it. Also if it stays great I'll says so.

I was at a gunshop in South Dakota in September and they had a junk scope bin full of tasco, simmons, nikon, leopold and other more prestigious brands and it was funny to see the different failures but you never know how they got that way.

2ndtimer

I have had Simmons scopes in the past with mixed results. A Simmons 8 Point 3-9 came mounted on my brand new Winchester Model 70 Super Shadow in .270WSM. It was not a good choice, inadequate eye relief and terrible point of aim adjustment. I didn't expect much, so i was not surprised. I am a fan of bargain scopes however, since I can't afford to put a Zeiss or Leupold VX-3 on every rifle I own. I do think, however, that you need to spend at least $125 or so to get a decent scope, For that price, you can usually find something made in Japan or the Philippines that can work for you. I replaced my Simmons with a Burris Fullfield II that was made in the Philippines, and had it on that rifle for 8 years or so. It has only recently been replaced with a Leupold VX-3 B&C 4.5-14X to better take advantage of the new Lilja barrel on it. I also ordered a Nitrex 3-9X scope from Natchezss.com and it ran $99.95 plus shipping. Made in Japan and really quite a nice scope for the money. They still have some of the matte finish ones available for $119.95 plus shipping. It is residing happily on my $239.99 Marlin X7 .270 Win. Really makes a nice sub $400 hunting rig. Natchez offers some very good deals on Weaver scopes, too. You might want to check them out, if the 8 Point doesn't stand muster.

Blindstitch

Took the scope out today mounted to my Type 38 Arisaka in 6.5x50 and I'm happy with the results. Center was initial sight in followed by top right, bottom right, bottom left and top left.

And it was pretty clear over the old scope. So clear in fact that I forgot to open the flip up lens covers.

Blindstitch

Unfortunately I was only at 25 yards because I couldn't get on the longer range since I brought my pistol.

This Arisaka has really good rifling and likes .264 Hornady SST's in 140 grain pushed by 31.2 grains of 3031.

My grandfather was a gunsmith and this was the first piece of rifle he bought in 1983 after his house and collection of 300 guns without insurance burned to the ground.

It started its second life as a barreled action. The stock is from a Mauser blem that I think I was told cost $25 at the time. The stock was recontoured and hand checkering applied by my uncle.

From 1983-2013 it was my grandpa's primary deer rifle and believe me he had a lot other/nicer options. He shot deer well over 200 yards and one of the biggest bucks on his property. It was a 16 point non-typical that was so heavy that when I hooked the fourwheeler to it to drag back home it took two guys pushing to get it moving.

Hopefully I can take a deer with it next season.

Blindstitch

Guess I forgot to post a picture of the rifle. This is from last deer season. I think it was 10 degrees out and I abandoned my treestand to hunt this hillside. Nothing moved that day except a grouse.