Silenced lever gun?

comn-cents

I have a Marlin 1894 in 38/357 and had a thought of threading the barrel and adding a 9mm suppressor. Anyone ever do this or see a suppressed lever action?

Sixer

Not something I've ever seen, or even thought of ... but now I REALLY want one!

Just make sure to post pics if you go for it :)

Willie Lowman

Teddy Roosevelt had one with a Maxim silencer.

Roosevelt_Winchester_1894_21.jpg

tmorone

I've seen them in the forum here. Someone posted a stainless lever gun with a can on it, I've wanted one ever since!

Beretta686

I've seen a custom integrally suppressed Ruger 96/44. It looked like quite a pig slayer.

I have no idea about running .357 magnum rounds through a 9mm can though. That may be a bit too much pressure for the can.

Theohazard

Beretta686 said:
I have no idea about running .357 magnum rounds through a 9mm can though. That may be a bit too much pressure for the can.
It depends on the can. A super-strong can with stainless steel baffles like the Octane 9 will be fine with .357, but I'd check with the manufacturer before shooting it through a can with aluminum baffles like the Ti-Rant or the Osprey. And keep in mind a .357 carbine will have less muzzle blast than normal due to the longer barrel, so that will put less pressure on the suppressor than the same round out of a shorter barrel.

Theohazard

comn-cents said:
I would only shoot 38spl through it. 357 is going to break the sound barrier so what's the point.
A suppressed, supersonic .357 carbine will still be a lot quieter when suppressed. Sure, subsonic is the only way to get close to the classic "Hollywood quiet" sound, and with pistol rounds the goal when shooting suppressed is usually to use subsonic ammo, but shooting a suppressor with supersonic ammo is far from pointless.

When I shoot a 5.56 or a .308 suppressed I'm always using supersonic ammo. But the silencer still drastically reduces the sound; it's quieter than a .22 and doesn't require hearing protection.

Deja vu

Here is mine!

scaled.php

It is a 45-70. I have shot subsonic bullets as heavy as 540grains through it. Id say it is quieter than an unsuppressed 22lr shooting subsonics

I took a deer with it a bit ago but sorry I dont have pictures so you can dissbelieve me if you like ;) At the low velocity the bullet have very little expansion (went from .458ish caliber to .502 caliber and it was pretty soft lead) it still retained 535 grain from a starting of about 540 grains.

The buck was standing with a doe when I shot it and it just crumpled. The doe acted like she did not know what to do and stood there till we had to chase her off. Clearly the deer here have not learned that the new sound means danger yet.

If you plan to shoot cast lead bullets make sure your can is able to be dissembled. Mine isnt to I had to fork over a decent amount of money to buy a ultrasonic cleaner loaded with the purple cleaner that devolves lead. It is not an ideal setup.

lcpiper

If you are going to go that far with it, why not add the tax stamp for a Short Barreled Rifle and start with a Rossi Ranch Hand, get the stamp, add a full length stock and the suppressor?

BTW Deja Vu, I wish we could hunt with a rig like that in AZ.

Deja vu

It is a special can. It was told I can shoot up to 458 win-mag through it. It is an AWC can. The 2 things I would change is 1. make is user serviceable 2. Make it lighter.

It is solid stainless steal and I bet weighs in at about 2-3 LBS.

I find that I gain a little velocity with the can on (in the range of 10-50 FPS depending on load and bullet used.

It is far from silent but still quiet enough that the neighbors dont complain.

The bullet on the deer entered at the left side shoulder punching a nice round hole in the shoulder bone, nicked a left rib and then shattered a rib on the other side of the chest cavity and exited the body for about an inch then entered the right leg and in-bedded its self in the opposite upper front leg bone. The shot was a bit down hill. I would guess from the entrance in the right leg that the bullet started tumbling before stopping as it was found embedded sideways in the leg bone.

tmorone

Deja Vu- your rifle is the one I'd seen before that's had me wanting to get a suppressed lever gun. Thing of beauty!