Sigma: Beating the dead horse.

mrawesome22

Well I went ahead and did the "remove two springs mod" last night. Very easy procedure BTW if you have a set of small punches and a wife to use as your third hand. By my feel, I'd say the pull weight was cut at least in half. I'd say about 8lbs now. My Wolff 3 1/2lb striker spring is on it's way from Midway, but I don't know how heavy the stock spring is, so I don't know how much of a difference it's going to make. But even after all this there is still that long arse pull. Anyone know of a mod for that problem? I've done searches and have come up empty so far. Maybe I'll just have to do some brainstorming and see what I can engineer. And does anyone know where I can get a steel guide rod for the 40VE? The Wolff only fit the F series.

MrApathy

yeah stick one of these on the trigger guard and go to the designated handicap shooting lane at the range.

parking_blue.jpg

wait a little while and strapping young man or woman with muscles and skill should be along to help you shoot your gun for you. but if they are busy your range may have an electronic device with a straw actuator that sits in your mouth with robotic arms that hold and shoot the gun for you.

the alternative is to develope some muscles and some skill.

oh while your at the range should you see someone not legitimately handicapped yet using a handicapped lane smack this sticker on them
NotHandy2Actual.jpg

best thing you can do if you plan on using that gun for defense is putting those springs back in. forget the wolff spring.
break the gun in stock develope muscle and skill. start shooting at 7 yards work your way out.
get 750-1500 rounds through the gun then find someone to do a brush and polish job on the fire control group parts.
by then the springs will have been worn in with the rough crude sigma parts. once the parts get polished the trigger will be smoother and lighter. but do the brush and polishing early and the trigger will be heavier due to the springs not being worn in.
part friction+new springs=sucky new sigma trigger. use the gun frequently springs will let up. reduce the crude parts friction and it will smooth out and be lighter. still be a moderate pull and weight but be damn lot better than when new.

use the wolff spring hope you handload and enjoy Federal Primers or buy Federal ammo cause thats the best primer youll have igniting with the wolff spring. forget CCI primed ammo maybe forget winchester and remington primed ammo. wolff spring may be reliable with all when new but after while reliability may go out the window with all primers.

solely for competition feel free to remove springs but best to keep the springs in develope muscle and skill wear them in let parts mate then brush and polish and then remove springs.

when you transition from heavier longer trigger to shorter lighter trigger most tend to improve considerably.

removing springs the crispness in the trigger goes away it gets mushy. break is less predictable.
similar can be experienced with glocks.
some have found with glock NY1 8lbs trigger and 3.5lbs connector spring can make for a crisper trigger

when practicing the pull on a sigma pull the trigger its full length of travel. dont need to set the striker to do that.
though when striker is set its quite different. object is to pull the trigger without having the sights move when you pull the trigger or release it. best of luck.

I am far from perfect thats for sure. couldnt hit the paper at 25 yards with new sigma. broken in and smoother trigger. can do better.

sure different hands different problems. takes a little reading on just what shooting is and how the gun is usually a tack driver but the shooter is responsible for where the round ultimately goes.

sure life would be easier if all buildings had ramps and we all could use rascals to get everywhere not have to do as much as required and even try to cheat that. you can take the easy road and you may get by but you will be cheating yourself of strength. some day you may find yourself weaker and truly handicapped unable to go any lower. what will you do then?

apologies to the truly handicapped that are diseased and cant develope strength, dont have fingers or eyesight and are dependent on others for defense.

Last edited:

mrawesome22

Don't you think I've heard all that crap a million times before? I got very good with the stock trigger, and after getting carpel tunnel syndrome in my finger, I was ready to do the mod. I'm not going to accidently shoot myself just because the trigger is lighter. I don't carry the gun with one in the chamber. A round doesn't go into the chamber until I'm ready to shoot. And I don't think anyone should carry with one in the chamber unless you're a LEO. It still takes one heck of a tug to pull the trigger even when the poundage was cut in half. And as I stated before, I don't know how this Wolff spring will work out. If it starts to fail after a while, guess what, all I have to do is put the stock spring back in. And you're not going to make many friends going around calling people lazy sob's. I would call someone like you lazy. Too lazy to do the mod then try it. Instead, you just warn against it with no experience. Then pass judgement on others who were smart enough to work around that rediculous trigger. I've found that for some reason, a lot of you guys on this semi-auto forum think your poop don't stick, and everyone is an idiot, except you. I didn't ask you wheather you thought it was a good idea or not. I asked if anyone knew of a pull length mod or a steel guide rod. That's all I asked for. Not your opinion, or judgement. So keep that crap to yourself.

Spring Job???

mrawesome22,

I have the 9ve and performed the polishing job which lightened up the trigger significantly. I am weary about performing the spring removal job because I have read on the Smith-Wesson forum that others have removed springs from their Sigmas but Smith and Wesson advises against the removal because the addition of the springs in the "E" series was to overcome some problems and shortcomings that occured in the first Sigma series :confused: . It was basically stated that the removal of the springs converts the "E" series back into the first generation of Sigmas. One reply for Smith and Wesson read "we didnt put the springs in there for nothing." You might want to research this further and the Smith-Wesson forum will probably be your best source of information outside of a gunsmith and Smith and Wesson themselves. Just a little food for thought from a fellow Sigma owner :D . Please keep us posted as to your progress.
Kevin

MrApathy

guide rod try a glock 19/23 guide rod.

try doing a search or two for Brush and Polish job. its been posted at a few forums
TFL
GlockTalk
SmithWessonforum

mrawesome22

Officer Johnson, there are 3 springs under the sear. A pigtail spring, a long spring that keeps pressure on the sear, and a larger diameter spring over the long spring. The pigtail spring and larger diameter spring are smilply to increase pull weight. That is there only function. Now if the long spring were removed, after firing, the sear would just fall reward, and the gun would not cock again. The only way it would cock again is if you locked the slide open, turned the gun upside down, whacked the butt to get the sear to fall back down, then closed the slide while the gun was still upside down. Hope I didn't just totally confuse you there. Most of the shortcomings I've heard from the earlier versions had to do with firing pin breakage. If you take the slide off, with the stock springs still in, and pull the trigger, it's very tough, as I'm sure you know. After the springs are removed however, it's vastly improved. put the slide back on and pull the trigger and it's tough again. But not nearly as tough as before. This comes from the striker spring. But anyway, it's gone bang every time since the mod, which didn't suprise me since only the trigger was lightened, not the striker spring. I don't use this gun for concealed. I just take it with me yote hunting in case I have a pack that tries to take me out. It'll probably never happen but I take it just in case. Other than that it just sits in the closet until I take it to my 100yrd range I made. I'd probably never use it in HD for fear of a miss going through a wall and into one of my kid's room. I have a shotgun loaded with some very light buckshot loads for HD. I'll look into that Glock rod, and when I get the new striker spring I'll let you all know how it functions. Anyone know the poundage on the stock striker spring?

mrawesome22,

Thank you for the description and dont worry, you did not confuse me at all. :D The mod seems to fit your target and yote hunting applications very well. My Sigma on the other hand is my work horse due to using it as a duty weapon, concealed and HD. With so much use, especially in public settings, I feel more comfortable with the stiffer trigger for safety reasons. However if I would like to use my Sigma for target shooting, I will definetly keep your mod in mind. Once again keep us posted on your progress especially with the glock spring rod mod and thanks.
Kevin

Last edited:

Abstract

I've just never understood the theory that a "stiffer" trigger is safer than a non-stiff trigger. My carry piece pulls at just over 3#. So far, so good.

mrawesome22

Well I put the Wollf spring in today, and to be honest, I can't really tell a difference between it and the stock spring. I put 60 rounds through it and it fired every time though. Funny because almost everything I've read said this spring vastly reduced trigger pull. Oh well.

maybe the spring takes a little time to lighten up. Put a couple hundred rounds down range with the new spring then put the stock spring back in and compare. Keep us posted.

Kevin

Abstract

Hopefully you won't have to learn the hard way...

Hopefully, YOU won't have to learn the hard way that a 12# trigger is probably more dangerous for s.d. purposes than is a 3# trigger. ;)

AngusPodgorney

Probably? Now that's objective. Cite someone (someone who would know) that recommends a self defense gun to have a trigger pull as low as three pounds.

HardcoreHehaw

WOW... maybe it's cause I'm new to the forums, but I never would have thought that wanting a lighter trigger pull would get you flamed and called handicaped. :rolleyes: