Sightron, Burris or Bushnell?

daphysicsprof

I recently found a good deal on a Remington SPS in 30-06 (hey, I wanted to buy an 06 in 06), and I am looking for a scope in either 3 - 9 or 2 - 7. My budget is about $160.00. I know that some of you subscribe to the "spend as much on the scope as the rifle" philosophy, but in my case I need to get the most bang for my buck (two kids in college will do that to you), but I do want a good quality scope. I have done a fair amount of research, including scanning many previous posts from this and other boards, and I have the field narrowed down to:

Sightron S II 2.5 - 7 x 32
Usually costs nearer to $200 but one well respected web retailer has it for $159. Seems like most people rate the Sightron S II line higher in optical quality than the others I have listed here. This looks like a great deal, so the obvious question is, is the quality of this scope as good as other S II scopes, and is this simply a great deal? Regarding 2.5 - 7 vs 3 - 9, my guess is that as I currently live on the east coast, the extra field of view would actually be more useful than the extra range of a 3 - 9 (and I haven't found a 3-9 S II for less than $200). And even if I move west some day 7x should be pretty good about as far out as I would be comfortable shooting at game. If you all tell me this glass is just as good as the other S II scopes, and better than the Burris or Bushnell, this is the scope I will buy!

Burris Fullfield II 3 -9 x 40
Again usually costs nearer to $200 but there are a couple dealers blowing them out (new) on Ebay for about $160 (including shipping). Very high transmission, but if you read their own web site carefully, it is clear that the glass isn't as good as the Signature line. The question is - is it as good as the Sightron S II? Also, I looked at the 2 - 7 x 35 but it only clicks in 1/2 MOA, doesn't mount any lower than the 3 - 9 x 40, and I can't find it any cheaper than the 3 - 9 on Ebay. All the Fullfield II scopes suffer from the minor defects of rotating the eyepiece when rotating the power ring (I know - its supposed to reduce the number of seals), and needing a screwdriver or coin to sight in. The fancy distance holdover reticle is only a minor plus for me. This is currently my number two choice.

Bushnell Elite 3200 3 - 9 x 40
Again this usually costs nearer to $200 but you can find it now and then for nearer $160-170 on ebay (new). The Rainguard coating is clearly a plus, but I keep hearing rumbles about short eye relief (3.3 inches). And the 2 -7 in this line only has an eye relief of 3 inches. Given that I my will certainly shoot Hornady light magnum loads, or equivalent handloads, I don't want to get popped in the eye. This is curently my number three choice.

Yes I know - I Bushnell Elite 4200 or Nikon Monarch would be better scopes, as would a Burris Signature or Sightron S III. These all seem to be up in the $250 - 300 range (best case), and are simply out of the question. After all I need a base and rings as well, and I want some money left for ammunition. (And there are still five more years of college tuitions!)

I have great respect for the opinions on this board, so please help me out!

Scorch

For that price, I would opt for the Burris. Burris makes a good scope, pretty much on par with Leupold.

The Bushnell Elite 3200 is a good scope too, but the Burris is a better deal.

jhgreasemonkey

Burris Fullfield II 3 -9 x 40
I had this scope on my 7mm rem mag for years and loved it. Really nice optics and tough as heck. I had a fall hunting. Slipped on some loose rocks and the rifle fell hitting the rocks below. Put a nice dent in the scope and it still worked fine.

tINY

I'm not familiar with the Sightron, but I imagine it's in the same league with the others.

I like the Burris, generally. But if you don't like the balistic plex and can get a firefly, then the E 3200 is a good option. It comes down to preferences - none of these is clearly superior - they all have slight strengths and weaknesses and their own proclivities.

Have you looked at fixed 4x scopes?

-tINY

timothy75

Get a Burris fullfeild or Leopold Rifleman. Two top quality American made scopes for under 200$ How can you beat that?

FirstFreedom

I think you're asking the right question, for a decent budget scope. If you're hunting where it's really rainy, or really cold (resulting in fogged lenses), then you might want the rainguard coating on the bushnell elite. Beyond that, it'd be hard to go wrong with any. I have one of each. The Fullfield 2 I have seems especially clear for it's small objective size - I have the 1.75-5x20mm.

youp

I had the opportunity to compare the 3200 to the 4200. The 4200 was very noticably superior.

I own a 3x9 Fullfield II. It is in no way the equal of my Leupold VX-III or older Vari X III's.

I believe the Burris and the Bushnell have very similar optical clarity.

I did have a pair of sightron binoculars given to me as a Fathers Day gift. The binoculars are quite clear, but rather tedious to get properly adjusted to my eyes.

I would get another Burris. I strongly prefer American products.

hoghunting

I'll also vote for the Burris. I have two of them on rifles and have been very pleased with the clarity and brightness of those scopes. The Ballistic Plex reticle works great.

Benonymous

Burris

+1 on the Burris. I have the Safari Signature in 1.75 to 6 on my Steyr Scout and it's a mighty fine instrument. The zero has not shifted despite a lot of shooting and carrying. Very hard outer coating on the scope too. Many marks/scratches just wipe off!

ammo.crafter

I have the Burris mounted on a Marlin in .444 that I use for black bear. I hunt Maine and the weather can get a bit chilly. I have used lots of scopes, but have found the Burris gives a clear field, no fog and holds accuracy extremely well.

No experience with the Sightron but lots with the Bushnell which is also a decent scope.

For the price, I would highly recommend the Burris.

joshua

I have one of the 1st run Sightron SIII 3x10 30mm tube that I got for 350 including shipping. It's really nice and built very well also includes mil-dot and side parallax adjustment. I'm amazed how nice the clicks are and I can't wait to mount it on top of my Remmy PSS. On the other hand I have a Burris FFII BP 3x9 and it is also a nice scope for the money. The optics are better than the FF I use to have on my MarkX 270 win. And now the FFII is mounted on top of my MarkX. I paid 229 for the Burris FFII 3x9 and it came with a mini spotting scope. I'm not really sure if the FFII is made in USA. I don't thing the Sightron SI's optics are clear, but for the money it is the best bang for the buck. Out of all the 3 you mentioned I'd take the Burris FFII 3x9. josh

attachment.php

DSCN2100s.jpg

Trip20

I just received my Burris Fullfield II 3-9X40 this past Tuesday. SWFA has them for sale at $198.95 and they come with a Burris Landmark 8x32 pair of binos to boot. The binos are normally around ~$100.

This is my first Burris product. It's on the low-end as far as expense goes... but I feel the features, brightness, and clarity are more on par with scopes 2 and even 3 times as expensive.

I had to go to confession this morning because I feel like I stole this scope at $200. :p

arizona hunter

The Elite 3200 is exellent. I have a 4200 on my 30.06 and a 3200 on my .204Ruger. Both have exellent resolution, are durable and come with Rainguard. I've been so impressed with Rainguard that I don't ever want another scope or bino without it.

I got both my scopes at Natchez Shooters Supply. Phone them for the best price (1-800-251-7839) becuse whats on their web site is most likely higher.