Sight pusher rent/borrow.

Blindstitch

Is there a place to rent or borrow a sight pusher. The front sight of my SD9VE is off center and the gun is shooting to the left. The rear sight is easily adjustable but I thought why not push the sight to get it where it needs to be but i've seen pushers for a lot more than im willing to pay just for one gun.

Does anyone rent or loan these things?

I'm in Milwaukee, Wisconsin.

Blindstitch

I tried the hammer and punch and it wouldn't move for the life of me. Tried a few hammers and still the same. The multi clamp thing might do it. Not the prettiest thing but functional.

Keep in mind that many manufacturers today use red Loctite to secure the rear sights. If that's the case, you can't move it without destroying something unless you heat it to break the bond.

Blindstitch

Red loctite on the rear. That's gross.
I punched out the stock rear 2 months ago. The problem is the front dovetail.

I guess i'm curious if Smith and Wesson uses loctite.

Walt Sherrill

Aquila Blanca said:
Keep in mind that many manufacturers today use red Loctite to secure the rear sights. If that's the case, you can't move it without destroying something unless you heat it to break the bond.

Right. Red is a terror. And some night sights don't take well to heavy pounding and heavier hammers.

Some loc-tite can be loosened if you heat it long enough... and start trying to move it before it cools too much. The hammer and punch MIGHT work, then. RED is tough. Green is easier. Blue a piece of cake.

A heat gun from Harbor Freight is about $9 -- and useful for other things, too -- like reshaping cheap plastic holsters. Some hand-held hair dryers might work, too, but they don't get AS hot.

I have one of the P500 Universal Sight Pushers from Brownells (about $140 now, but $100 when I got it, some years ago); I have used it many times over the years. Even with that well-design pusher, some sights can be a chore. A heat gun helps, even then. This is a more adaptable design, and will work with almost any gun -- but it's costly.

p_694000001_1.jpg

Brownells: http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/sight-scope-installation-tools/sight-movers/p500-universal-sight-tool-prod17840.aspx

Blindstitch

S&W emailed me saying they don't use loctite. Or at least on that model.

I have a few clamps that actually lined up like they were suppose to be there. After placing strips of wood on either side and clamped tight I couldn't get the little clamp to move it in or out.

S&W suggested using a lubricant to help it slide. I have a heat gun so maybe that's a try.

Blindstitch

Just short of it but I got one that looks like Thor's hammer in the garage.

I'm partially thinking if it moves to remove it and take a few file strokes to it

TunnelRat

Use some penetrating oil on the front sight and let it stick. Honestly a pusher is worth it in aggravation saved IMO. I have one for the M&P from MGW that works great, but I'm a long haul from Wisconsin.

g.willikers

If all else fails, just aim to the right. :)
That's only half a joke.
I once had a pistol that shot high with the chosen ammo.
The front sight was so well attached that there was a real risk in damaging the gun trying to remove it.
So I just let the front sight droop a bit in the rear sight with every shot.
Not the best of solutions, but it worked just fine and the gun wasn't harmed.
Had to remember which gun I was shooting, though.
Just a thought.

Blindstitch

Just throwing this out there but if anyone has one they would let me borrow I would be willing to pay shipping to and from. Turn around time would most likely be a day.

USPS prepaid boxes for $5 are great for something this size.

Blindstitch

Well I finally got it and I have to say it shouldn't have been that hard. I ended up using two c clamps holding the slide padded by wood on either side and a third C clamp to push the sight.

When it finally moved it made a crack/pop sound. Even my wife heard it in the other room and wondered what it was. Of course it pushed the sight to far so I decided to remove it most of the way and lubricate the slot. A few pushes later and it was where I wanted.

Sweet Shooter

I use two C-clamps as well. One to clamp the slide on it's side to the kitchen table, the other to drag the sight across/down. If you go too far turn over the slide and drag it back a bit. It has worked with all my dovetail slides. No hammering, no damaging. No huge price tag.
-SS-

I only know one site that is good about ?forum owned community? property type things. Rim fire central. I don't post there much, but it wouldn't surprise me at all if 10-12 people on there would buy one of these and allow it to float around. They do it with a bunch of jigs.

Blindstitch

I'm a moderator on a honda motorcycle forum and we do stuff like this all the time so I just thought with all the members here it might be possible.

Yeah I know bikes and guns are different but I've ridden several hundred miles to help some one and have had the same done for me.

DaleA

Now that you got it to 'pop' and it moved and you lubricated it, does it have enough tightness so that you think it will stay where you have it now?

I like the idea of a club having stuff like a sight pusher to loan out to its members.

That said, I also like the idea of a gunsmith making an honest $10-$20 bucks for a quick and easy 'go get a cup of coffee and I'll have this all set up for you when you get back' job.

Edited to add: Oh go ahead and make fun of my idea about what a gunsmith should charge for this...I know I'm out of touch.