Sig Sauer P238 -vs- Ruger LCP

FITASC

I do not have overly large hands - more wide than long- and the LCP is NOT fun to shoot. Small and light are easy to carry, not fun to shoot or practice

wmg1299

I own a Sig P238 Legion, and carried an LCP II as my backup for years. I switched to the LCP Max when it was released. All 3 have been reliable guns. The P238 has much better sights than the LCP II, but the front night sight and blacked-out rear on the LCP Max work best for me. I never carried the P238, but the LCP II and LCP Max have both remained reliable even after long periods of daily pocket carry.

seanc

I have shot about 1,800 rounds through my LCP 2. The 1st 500 were factory, the rest my own reloads. I have not had a single malfunction. I also don't have overly large hands, but I choose to shoot it only 1 handed since it just doesn't feel right 2-handed. I consider it a 8 yard and under gun. It's not pleasant to shoot and the sights are worthless, so it's a point-shooter. That's why I've purposely put so much time with it to get comfortable with it. Honestly, it's more pleasant to shoot my G30S than the LCP 2, but sometimes, the LCP 2 is the more appropriate gun to wear. It's the easiest gun to conceal and unless I'm naked, there's no reason to not at least wear the LCP 2.

Pietro Beretta

I have been carrying for years:

LCP for Pocket Carry is awesome. The trade off is the sight picture and accuracy. You are not going to line up the sights in a defensive scenario, its a point and shoot kind of gun. Up close and dirty but that is how most defensive situations occur. On the firing line it gives a hell of a lot of trigger slap and its honestly not that fun to shoot.

P938 for me is simply too big for pocket carry. Yes, if I picked specific clothing with large pockets I "could" do it. However, if I felt I wanted to pocket carry then I would just get the LCP. The 938 fit that niche where it is small, the print is tiny on a single clip IWB holster. The sight picture is much better and I can hit targets center at 50'. The P938 was my every day carry for years because its light weight, small profile, and my accuracy with it. The only size difference between the P238 and P938 is overall length 5.5 vs 5.9. Although it looks like a 1911, the trigger system is different. Where as a 1911 has a straight back trigger bar, the P938/P238 trigger pivots on a pin. This is why if you pull the bottom of the trigger on a 938/238 the pull will be MUCH lighter than if your pulling from the top of the trigger closest to the frame.

Both guns for me have always gone BANG without a problem. The sig feels better in build quality and finish then the LCP. However, I feel both are different tools for different carrying scenarios. My original LCP and my Sig P938 Talo in OD green have been 100% reliable.

Sgt01

The Sig is of better quality, but the LCP is what rides in my pocket. I find it easier to conceal since it's a bit thinner and lighter. Had the LCP for quite a few years and never had a malfunction of any kind. Also, I'm not a big fan of pocket carrying a single action gun in pocket.

KyJim

I have the original LCP and also own the P238. I shoot the P238 fairly well and recoil is not excessive. The LCP has a crappy and heavy trigger, but is much lighter. I prefer the P238 for pocket carry and reserve use of the LCP to light weight shorts.

I've never had a reliability problem with either pistol, but I stick to FMJ rounds because I have been unimpressed with terminal ballistics of the .380 hollow points.

Ceemo

I've owned both the P238 and the LCP and had no issues with either of them. I'd estimate 250-300 rounds rounds through each. Sold the Sig because I found myself always grabbing the LCP since it was somewhat lighter and thinner. Wasn't really a fan of the single action of the P238. Quality-wise the Sig wins, although the general quality of the LCP is very good.
You really can't go wrong with either.

oughtsix

My original 1st gen lcp is my summer carry gun. I only have about 500 rounds through it and it has never ftf.

To me weight is as big of a priority as size. If I am willing to carry something bigger and heavier it will be my DB9 for the extra firepower... Which is my usual winter EDC. For me the LCP is a nice well controlled shooter. My DB9 is a bit of a hand full though. Same with my XDs in 45acp beungva bit of a handful. I have found that I get used to the higher power sub compacts over time. A rubber sleeve also helps a bit

ChimpMunk20

I had a Sig P238 w/ night sites that I loved but had to sell when money was tight. Great little gun and the most accurate .380 i have shot, besides the Walther PPK, at a fraction of the size.

chaim

I have an LCP and it is a good gun. 100% reliable, but then, it doesn't get shot as much as my larger and more comfortable guns. It is tiny and so easy to conceal. They are also very inexpensive. However, the sights may as well not even be there. I know some people say this gun is for last ditch use if an assailant is right on top of you, but what if they are a little further away?

Because of the sights, I was looking for a replacement for a while. I strongly considered the P238. In the end, since they were so cheap new, I figured I wouldn't get much of anything for it used, and since it was a good gun, I decided to make my LCP work for me. I bought a Crimson Trace laser and now I can hit targets at reasonable ranges.

ChimpMunk20

I have an LCP and it is a good gun. 100% reliable, but then, it doesn't get shot as much as my larger and more comfortable guns. It is tiny and so easy to conceal. They are also very inexpensive. However, the sights may as well not even be there. I know some people say this gun is for last ditch use if an assailant is right on top of you, but what if they are a little further away?

Because of the sights, I was looking for a replacement for a while. I strongly considered the P238. In the end, since they were so cheap new, I figured I wouldn't get much of anything for it used, and since it was a good gun, I decided to make my LCP work for me. I bought a Crimson Trace laser and now I can hit targets at reasonable ranges.

I have never fired or owned a LCP. How's the trigger?

chaim

I have never fired or owned a LCP. How's the trigger?

It is a DAO so it is a little long and heavy, but it is consistent throughout the pull, and not too heavy for a DAO. Mine isn't bad, but then, I've had it around a decade and don't remember what it was like when new (it doesn't get shot a lot, but a few rounds here and there over a decade plus dry firing does add up and smooth out the trigger).

Big4Freedom

I own the ss frame p238, aluminum frame p238, lcp custom, lcp II, lcp max, and the P365, for reference in similar guns mentioned.

My take is that all are reliable for me and shoot accurately. When I carry .380, it’s cause clothes profit larger caliber and I want something close range more than fists. The ss p238 is like butter and fun to shoot on range. The alum p238 is lighter and better for carry. The lcp II is very accurate but larger than the lcp custom. The lcp max is great concept and cool, but nearly same size as p365, just 1/2” shorter slide, so I’d rather carry 365 between the two. So, with that said, tight summer clothes I carry lcp custom most of time. So easy to conceal! If I want more capacity and can deal with larger ccw, or in winter, I jump to p365 over lcp max to have more caliber for same feel.