Sig Sauer P238 -vs- Ruger LCP

FunGramps

I have a Sig P-238 as a backup gun, tossed the idea of a Bond Arms for several reasons, and since the Ruger LCP is lighter weight than the Sig, was thinking it might be the more comfortable to carry.

I know they have completely different operating systems, and I am used to both. My question is to anyone who has fired both and found one to be more reliable to go bang than the other. If you have fired enough of each, what are your thoughts on this?

I have owned a Sig 9mm in the past and never had a FT, stovepipe or jam of any kind. The Ruger gets great reviews (not the LCPII so much), and I am curious.

Thanks!

Siggy-06

I have a LCP, LCP gen 2, and a LCP2. They work great and are some of the best carry options for me here in FL. They slide right into a pocket with a holster, are lightweight, reliable, and affordable. The LCP2 trigger is the best of the 3 so far. Under 7 yards I can keep all shots on a 8 inch target. The only negatives I have to say is .380 ammo can be pricey sometimes, and the guns are snappy and not meant for a long day at the range.

I had a p328, a tomcat, and a shield. The LCP was just lighter and just as easy to shoot.

TailGator

My wife and I have two P238s - hers is her primary carry and mine is my pocket pistol for occasional use. They are really good shooters, with nice triggers and highly visible sights that contribute to impressive accuracy in such a small package.

I have shot, but not owned, the LCP. It was quite a bit lighter (you only have to visit the LGS and handle them both realize that) and I didn't shoot it as well. Is that some combination of the heavier trigger, the sights, and other less tangible factors, or is it only due to my relatively higher familiarity with the little Sig? I can't answer that, except to say that I shot the Sig well right off the bat. I'm a sample size of one, and lots of people think highly of the little Ruger, so I don't think you'll go wrong with one. Your "more comfortable to carry" question is likely to be a yes because of the weight alone.

wild cat mccane

If you enjoy pocket carry of the P238, it's fine.

But if you aren't pocket carrying the P238, the P365 has a better trigger and the size increase is irrelevant.

I own all three. The P238 is no longer used for me. Too big, too heavy, too pocky. LCP is none of those.

I own 2 P938s and one P238. I do not feel they have a good triggers despite the 1911 similarities.

Sigkid79

It will be a night/day difference in build quality between the 2. The P238 feels solid while the LCP will feel like a toy in comparison.

Laz

I have both and like both. I must say the thing that really brought the 2nd Gen LCP up,in my estimation was the factory extended 7 round magazine. It makes handling much better, imo, with a very small size penalty, especially compared to the 238 with six round magazine. I don’t like the LCP II. Many do.

I have a Colt Mustang, which is the same gun as the P238, and I have shot the LCP. I have no problems shooting the Mustang. I found the LCP to be rather unpleasant in comparison.

Alan0354

I am interested in LCP, but I am concern with the internal aluminum alloy module that serve as frame rail for the slide. That it might crack with use. I heard enough of aluminum frame cracked, I think even the Sig P22? 9mm had problem in qualifying test cracked after a few thousands rounds. I have 3 of the Beretta 950BS and I can see a lot of wear on the aluminum frame after like 1500 rounds.

I actually read in another forum calgun a piece of the internal metal part of LCP with serial number broke off. That got to be the module I am talking about. I have been staying away from aluminum frame gun. I rather go to Glock polymer frame with steel inserts for rails.

Anyone shot a lot through the LCP? IF not for this concern, I would have bought the LCP long time ago already.

FunGramps

I appreciate all of your input. Did anyone have failures with either one? Reliability is my biggest concern, comfort being #2.

wild cat mccane

Sig 9mms break rails because it torgues on the under side of the rail.

That is specific to the Sig P design.

You have no worry of that with the LCP.

Bill DeShivs

"It will be a night/day difference in build quality between the 2. The P238 feels solid while the LCP will feel like a toy in comparison."

Of course it's lighter-that's what makes the little gun so grand!
People need to understand that "heavy" doesn't necessarily mean "better."

The build quality of the Keltecs of the last few years is as good as any gun that I have been inside of-and that's a LOT of guns!

Forte S+W

I don't own, nor have I ever fired a SIG P238, but I've been carrying a Ruger LCP since 2019 and I love it.

Previously, I carried a Walther PPK/S, which was a nice size, but too heavy for Pocket Carry at 25oz or so loaded, the LCP is substantially smaller/lighter, so much so that it takes more effort to leave it behind than it does to slip it into my pocket, ergo I carry it on me at practically all times, even while at home.

I've heard folks talk about rails cracking, but most of whom openly admit to have been firing overpressure loads through their LCP such as Buffalo Bore's so-called ".380 ACP +P" loads (which do not factually exist as per SAAMI Specifications) which the LCP is obviously not rated for, to which they often make excuses when confronted about it that their last gun could handle overpressure ammo just fine, emphasis on "last carry gun" meaning the one that they replaced with the LCP, presumably because it was a bigger, heavier, less easy to carry gun.
So yeah, just don't make a habit of shooting overpressure handloads or any unofficial "+P" factory loads out of your future LCP, and it will be fine.

Also, it's important to note that Ruger has some of the best Customer Service in the firearms industry and will replace any LCP that has slide rail failure, so if you should ever develop cracks on the rails, then you could just contact Ruger and they'll make it right.

Sigkid79

"It will be a night/day difference in build quality between the 2. The P238 feels solid while the LCP will feel like a toy in comparison."

Of course it's lighter-that's what makes the little gun so grand!
People need to understand that "heavy" doesn't necessarily mean "better."

The build quality of the Keltecs of the last few years is as good as any gun that I have been inside of-and that's a LOT of guns!
Build quality and weight are 2 different things. I’ve had 2 LCP Max’s which I have since sold. Great little pocket pistol if you’re lucky enough to pick one up without any issues. Failure to feed, fail to lock back on last round, failure to eject, multiple jams, rattles like a maraca, etc. I had such high hopes for the gun that I purchased another one a year after selling the first one, hoping that after a year the kinks were all worked out, only to be disappointed yet again with the same exact issues.

While I get that some people have no issues with their LCP’s, I have had many with both as well as many other LCP owners given all the posts I’ve read over multiple forums.

Now granted, the P238 may have their fair share of issues as well, but handling both, the P238 has an overall better build quality.

Sigkid79

I have a Sig P-238 as a backup gun, tossed the idea of a Bond Arms for several reasons, and since the Ruger LCP is lighter weight than the Sig, was thinking it might be the more comfortable to carry.

I know they have completely different operating systems, and I am used to both. My question is to anyone who has fired both and found one to be more reliable to go bang than the other. If you have fired enough of each, what are your thoughts on this?

I have owned a Sig 9mm in the past and never had a FT, stovepipe or jam of any kind. The Ruger gets great reviews (not the LCPII so much), and I am curious.

Thanks!
In reference to your last paragraph, I too have owned and still own a 9mm Sig. The P365 model, and I have never experienced any issues whatsoever even after hundreds of rounds fired. I also own a Ruger LC9s that I have had for 5yrs with not a single issue either. Granted, the LC9s and the LCP Max are 2 different firearms chambered in 2 different calibers, the LC9s has been reliable since day 1 and continues to be so, while the LCP Max has been a lemon since day 1. Both LCP Max’s were.

I know that Ruger’s customer support is magnificent, I just cannot justify 2 brand new firearms having as many issues as the Max has had, and I have zero faith in it to protect my life in a life/death situation where I would have to depend on it.

Carmady

No experience with the Sig.

LCP Gen2, extractor broke on round 753. Messed around with different recoil springs for a bit, and found the stock springs to be reliable.

Alan0354

In general, the lighter and smaller the semi auto, reliability suffers. There is good physics behind this.

Think of this, the weight of the slide plays a major part in cycling, from extracting the shell, to stripping the new round from the mag, then push the round into the chamber. The slide of those smaller and lighter semi autos, the slide is smaller and lighter. They need stronger main spring to do the job instead of relying on the weight of the slide.

There goes the problem, you can make the weight of the slide consistent easily to 1% or better(a lot better). So you expect consistent result between guns. I highly doubt you can make all the main spring to have tension match to 1%. I am not even sure it's possible to make it to 5%. So most of the ones with spring within the optimize tension will produce a reliable gun. But then those that deviates more will cause problem.

Another problem is even if the spring is within the tolerance when new, might change with time as it gets older. Slide do not age.

Another thing just as important, the smaller the gun, the shorter the distance between the mag feed lip to the chamber. That means the fresh round travel shorter distance to go from the mag to the chamber. This means the round has to tilt to a steeper angle to rise up to the chamber. The steeper the angle, the more chance to hung up cause FTF.

All in all, you see quite a few people swear by the gun, but you hear some people have problem.

As much as I like semi auto, I am open to buy the S&W 360 super light revolver. Only 11oz, no question on reliability and longivity. Some even good for 357mag.

Last edited:

Straitshot

I understand some folks having issues with weight, especially if carrying in pocket. I don't pocket carry so I don't have any issues with weight and personally I like a heavier firearm as I find I have better control for follow up shots.

I have never owned an LCP but have handled one and just did not care for it. I have owned the all steel P238 Spartan for about 4 years and love it. In fact I like it so well I purchased another one when Sig decided to discontinue it. Admittedly they are a bit pricy when and if you can find one and their build quality is excellent. I have had no issues with mine in four years with normal use.

Here is a photo of my Sig P238 Spartan.

Attachments

• 238-spartan-1.jpg
    238-spartan-1.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 64