Sig Sauer P220 vs Quality 1911

JDBerg

Today I had a chance to try out a Springfield TRP Operator today at a Springfield “Hit the Range” Demo Day and this TRP was a much better shooting pistol compared to the P220 I once had.

Elkins45

I would much rather trust my life to a P220 over any of the 1911s I own, and I own a couple of good ones. In fact I occasionally do.

mavracer

I wouldn't trade my P220 for a 4-500 1911, but I wouldn't trade off any of my 1911s for a P220 either. I in fact traded off a Ruger P97 for the Sig.
A guy should have both.

jr24

Have both, shoot both love both.

Shoot 1911s better due to trigger characteristcs.

Can't go wrong with either IMO.

smee78

I have both and they both shoot good for me. I have a few 1911's and a P220 match and for me they are two different animals but both shoot great and havent had any problems with them. Strange that you had the ammo problem with the Sig, I havent had any problems but cant recall shooting any of the Hornady ammo in it though. Give it a good cleaning and take it out again and give it a fair shake, mabye you were just having an off day?

SA1911

They're two very differently designed guns. The 1911-A1 was designed to be an offensive battle weapon for the US Army.

I love the 1911-A1. I think it's the king of all handguns of all time.

However, the P-220 is a precision crafted handgun that is as close to 100% reliable as any handgun could achieve. It's far more reliable that ANY revolver.

A shooter could spend 5k on a 1911-A1, but it'll never be more reliable than a P-220. ANd I'd doubt it'd be more accurate than a P-220.

But I still love the 1911-A1. I'm sentimental that way.

KyJim

Like the first poster responding to this thread, I have a SAO Sig P220 Compact and I own several 1911s. I've never had a problem with the Sig and have always felt comfortable that it would shoot just about anything I fed it. I love 1911s (carrying one today) but you sometimes have to be willing to experiment a bit with mags, different hollow point designs, etc. Once that is done, I prefer a 1911 of the 220. The 1911 has a better trigger and is thinner and therefore easier to conceal.

However, if I had to pick a brand new Sig 220 or a brand new 1911 (of almost any brand) and bet my life on one, I would pick the Sig.

stephen426

I don't have a P220, but I had a P228 and have 2 P229s. The triggers are very similar (DA/SA/Decock). The P228 was actually my first gun and I was extremely accurate with it. Despite the smooth double action trigger, it is much easier to shoot a decent single action 1911 trigger accurately.

I know the Sig can be cocked and the single action trigger is very good. I still feel a pure SA trigger can be much better than a DA/SA.

The flip side is there is no safety to forget on the Sig P220. If you pull the triger, it goes bang. You pull the trigger without clicking off the safety on a 1911 and you get nothing.

As for reliability there are some very reliable 1911s so it really is a toss up as to which gun is more reliable.

When it comes to disassembly for cleaning, the P220 gets the nod hands down. Some 1911s are so tight you need a busing wrench to assemble and disassemble.

As for overall quality and accuracy, Sig makes a great gun. You would have to have a decent 1911 to compete with that level. If you really wanted to spend some money, the 1911 can be customized way beyond the Sig P220. I'd say the 1911 as a platform could be much more accurate.