Sig sauer Mosquito Vrs Ruger 22/45 lite?

t45

I like my Sig Mosquito but the Ruger is probably a better alternative. My Sig is very reliable and fun to shoot but others have had reliability issues with theirs.

Cheapshooter

plinking/hunting
I think the accuracy of the Ruger would be the best choice. I will not comment on the Sig other than say that many will put it down because it isn't "really" a Sig, and the slide is made of a material not to their liking.
The Mosquito is a nice looking rimfire "big gun" lookalike, and fun to shoot. I have shot a friends, and intend to get one someday. They are however very picky about what ammo they function with.
The Ruger is much more like a rimfire target pistol, and is less sensitive to ammo.
Another good option would be the Browning Buckmark. Similar to the Ruger, and quite accurate.

tallball

I have owned a half dozen Rugers and they have all been great.

My Sig Mosquito is a malfunctioning piece of junk.

My Browning Buck Mark is my most accurate handgun out of several dozen.

jmohme

I'm with tall ball on this. To me any of the Mark series Rugers, or a Buckmark would be the way to go.

tallball

This is my excellent Browning Buck Mark. It is every bit as accurate as my FiL's Ruger Mark II target model.

BrowningBuckMark_zps33aed2ea.jpg

Darker Loaf

22/45 Lites are awesome. My only complaint relative to the Buckmark is that Buckmarks have better factory triggers and are easier to take down.

But... Don't, I repeat, don't get a Mosquito. That is easily the worst choice of firearm purchase that I have ever made. It came with rebates for CCI Minimags which most .22 LR semi-auto shooters will tell you are most likely to run a semi-auto. I bought 1,000 rounds of CCI Minimags only to find that the gun choked left-and-right--about 2-3 per 10 round mag with both recoil springs. I called Sig to ask them to repair or replace the gun; they told me it was CCI's fault, not Sig's... I sold that gun right quick! The Mosquito is an Umarex mimmed, low-quality gun. It is not made by Sig.

Get a Buckmark or a Ruger. Or a .22 LR revolver.

I put about 10,000 rounds through my Buckmark before I sold it to "upgrade" to the Mosquito... dumb... dumb... dumb...

Last edited:

Lurch37

I want to buy a new plinking/hunting gun and I like both wath do you think is the best?

I have the Mosquito and a Ruger 22/45 with a Pac-Lite upper made by Tactical Solutions, which I think is a fair comparison to the Ruger Lite. Both of mine function fine and are great plinkers and fun to shoot. As for the hunting aspect, I would want something a little heavier, maybe something with a steel frame and heavier barrel, but that's just my personal preference. Good Luck.

ritepath

Yup if 22 ammo ever starts showing up again (2 more years? 4? 8? ever?) I will be picking up a 22/45 lite

But for now my 12 or 13 22's and 15k of ammo (all bought before barrys last scare) are just sitting collecting dust.

I did see 22 shorts (and several others at SMKWs) this week. But since we were on vacation and I had a pistol waiting at the LGS I just glanced at the prices and left.

DaleA

Informal .22 semi-automatic pistols my preference is:

Ruger Mark anything or 22/45
Browning Buckmark
S&W 22A

I don't think you could go wrong with any of the above and if you wanted to put Buckmark first I wouldn't argue with you.

9x19

Ruger .22s (but not the SR22) over any and all Umarex products.

I had a Mosquito, no more Umarex stuff for me... that three crowns in a shield proof mark is my guide these days. It translates as: Do Not Buy

fnd3it.jpg

Ruger 22/45. Mine chugs along perfectly with just about any type of .22 ammo. Only complaint is the reassembly process is a pain.

I know three people who have purchased a SIG Mosquito. The best case scenario for any of them was a gun that ran intermittently with a single type of .22LR ammo. At least one of them had a cracked slide develop after less than 1000 rounds.

PolarFBear

I dearly miss my Browning Buckmark. I detest the Sig Mosquito that I have. It is exceptionally ammo picky as to function. I love my BIG Sig .45 but the Mosquito is a cheap imitation. Sig should buy back every one to save it's reputation. Oh, and my Walther .22 is no better.

WC145

Buy anything but a Mosquito, mine was junk, wouldn't run regardless of ammo. Bought a GSG 1911 .22 instead, haven't had a bit of trouble with it.

MarkCO

22/45 with a Volquartsen trigger. There are a variety of flavors of them now including the Lite. I really like my Lite and I shoot it great, but some find it a bit twitchy in that it is pretty light. Good for speed, maybe not as great for the best group.

We did have a Mosquito, dumped it and picked up another 22/45 and made my kids very happy.