Sig P938 thoughts?

rcollier

I am thinking about replacing my LC9s with a P938 for my carry gun. My range/bedside is a Sig P320 but kind of like the idea of a SA "locked and cocked" carry pistol.
Any comments from P938 owners? I am hoping my range will get one to try out before I "pull thre trigger" on a new one:)

Screwball

It's a good gun. I picked up an SAS a few years back. Biggest semi-auto I'll carry on my ankle (the other one is an LCP). It is very slim, and extremely accurate if you do your part.

Main thing, which you stated does not bother you, is carrying cocked and locked. So many people get freaked out over it. The safety on mine isn't getting knocked off unintentionally.

If you are planning IWB/OWB, I'd get a few seven round magazines. If strictly pocket and/or another method that grip length is important... stock up on six rounder. I got enough of each, since I have a few different ways to carry it. eBay was my go-to source for them, as they come up cheap from time to time.

CDR_Glock

I like it. The trigger is a bit gritty at first. I like how the safety can be on while pulling back on the slide. The safety is secure and needs to be deliberate to release so safety is not an issue. It's not a back pocket gun but front pocket is fine.

You need to LokTite the grip screws since they tend to loosen.

Handles recoil well but I'm only good out to 20 yards with it. I'll only carry if I can consistently hit 25 yard targets.

It's strange since I shoot other pistols well at 25 and further, including the Nano, S&W 442/640, G43, G42, and P238.

I prefer the Glock 43 and Shield over the P938, though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CDR_Glock

Condition one is fine for most modern guns. That's how I carry my Ed Brown 1911s.

Key is to have the appropriate holster.

themalicious0ne

It's a very accurate little gun. Recoil is pretty stout. I was able to shoot it very accurately but my sister who owns it struggled with accuracy due to the small frame and moderate trigger pull.

For its size to caliber ratio, it is really quite amazing. Accurate with practice and great for Pocket carry. It would be hard to compare to other guns in even the shields side catagory. It's simply easier to shoot a slightly bigger gun. If pocket carry was my goal, the p938 would be the choice. If not, there would be other contenders. I do have massive hands though so I actually had to think about what I was doing to that tiny gun vs being able to firmly lock down any other gun of bigger size in my hands.

MandolinMan

The P938 has become my very favorite compact carry gun. The safety is very firm with a positive click, so no concerns over it disengaging while holstered. Very accurate, and mine has run 100 percent with all ammo.

My only complaint is the price of additional magazines.

TunnelRat

I've tried one as a rental. I liked it as did my wife. The trigger is notably heavier than say a standard 1911 but it wasn't too bad. I would like to pick one up once the bills settle down.

Targa

The Sig is what the Dr. ordered for what you are describing OP. Might want to look at a Kimber micro as well.

Hoppy

The 938 is a great little pistol. I shoot it and the LC9s at the range side by side as I have the LC9s and my brother has the 938.

I do like the trigger on the LC9s better as it's a great trigger. The 938 trigger is nice too though not much travel, just some weight to it. The 938 is smaller although the weight is about the same. My brother's has the Sig night sights with the fiber optic front. The sights are easy to see and accurate. The only trouble he's had is that the fiber optic piece just fell out of the front sight during our last range session. Hoping Sig will make it right.

My brother's came with fairly thick rubber grips. I made him smooth rosewood grips and a holster for it and it carries nicely that way.

Attachments

• IMG_20160615_185419.jpg
    IMG_20160615_185419.jpg
    236.8 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_20160615_185433.jpg
    IMG_20160615_185433.jpg
    229.7 KB · Views: 74

Technosavant

It's an excellent gun. Small and easily carried even in a front pants pocket, packs a wallop, even has REAL sights (night sights even!). Recoil is certainly manageable. I love mine, the only reason it isn't my constant companion is my XDS .45.

The only downside to the P938 is it isn't cheap.

Pistolay

I replaced my P938 SAS with an LC9s. Even after the break-in, it averaged a failure to feed about every 150 rounds or so, and rarely went more than 200 rounds. I have found the Ruger to be more reliable, a little less snappy, with a better (and less painful) trigger and more capacity (7/9 vs. 6/7).

OTOH, the SIG was way sexier.

Big4Freedom

I actually went the other way. I carried the sig 938 for a year. The sig 938 is a great gun, in nearly every way. I stopped when the lc9s pro came out. My only reason was, when I drove, the beaver tail of sig kinda ground into my right "love handle". I carry at 3o'clock pretty much. For reference, I'm in pretty good shape at 5'11" 188lbs. Other than that, it was very easy to carry. I now carry the ruger and haven't looked back. To me, it's perfect, but I still have a lot of love for the 938, especially if you really prefer a 1911 type.

GoldieMI

I also traded away my 938SAS. I wanted to love it, but just couldn't. I love my 238 but the 938 just never felt right in my hand. The trigger was definitely in need of some TLC and it never was fully reliable even after 500 rounds. It was accurate and sexy looking but I didn't like the trigger at all. Nor did I trust it as anything other than a range toy.

Ibmikey

I have both the Sig P 238 and P 938, love to shoot either and normally carry the 9mm Sig or a S&W Shield both of which i feel are the best of the mini carry pistols. I hear complaints on the Sig trigger but i do not have that problem probably for two reasons: I shoot my pistols a lot and parts are pretty well mated by now and also i prefer a bit heavier trigger for a carry pistol, especially on a single action.
My P 938 is an easy shooting pistol, light, low recoil, dependable and close range accurate. I have about 1000 rds through my pistol and it runs smooth as glass. I have the SAS (Sig Anti Snag) that I purchased from PSA during one of their specials and it included free shipping.

rcollier

Big4
That is good info about the beaver tail
I am 5'11" and about 155 I am still searching for the perfect carry holster
I find my LC9 poking me from time to time w/o the beaver tail

royal barnes

I have quit carrying anything weighing more than about 20 ozs. loaded. I have Shields and an LCP but being a 1911 person for many years I much prefer the Sig P938. I own a Scorpion and an Extreme and carry whichever compliments what I'm wearing. Hey, it's as good a reason as any!:) The p938 is comfortable to hold for my hands, has manageable recoil and is very accurate at combat distances. Mine both came from the factory with smooth triggers, one at 5 1/2 and the other at 6 lbs. Only drawback I have found is the trigger is sharp and tends to abrade and pinch my finger. I taped off the frame and used a fine round file to smooth the edges and remove some of the serrations.

Hickok45 has a youtube video putting one through it's paces and he was suitably impressed. He even hit the gong at 80 yards a surprising number of times.

Lama

Good Carry Gun

I carry a 938 Equinox..great gun. Shoots accurately, not much kick. I wish it was a little lighter though. Not perfect, but close.