SIG P226 9mm Tacops

smokehouse4444

I just purchased a brand spankin' new SIG P226 Tacops in 9mm. The wife and I decided we wanted to get a high-capacity full-size 9. Besides, now I can work both sides of the fence with the 45acp vs 9mm boys. :D

Android017.jpg

Does SIG not send their handguns in hardcases anymore, or do I need to contact them? I was a little surprised by that.

Android018.jpg

SIG sandwich... My '88 P220 with extra 10rd mag on the left, and my new P226 9mm Tacops on right.

I did quite a bit of research on this particular handgun. The general consensus was that it was one of the finest big 9's out there except for the magazines. I saw some videos and quite a few write-ups about how bad they were, and quite frankly, it has me concerned. I already talked with the fantastic gun store that I bought it from, and they said if there was any problem, they would take care of it one way or the other. I'll post every so often about its performance; good or bad.

By the way, that red dot looking thingy is just a reflection of the red shirt I was wearing. Weird.

Kazaam

Congrats! But I'd be seriously upset about the case though, that cant be right. Contact the store, seems like somethings not right there.

Edit: I googled around and found this. Is this for real? I'm getting ready to spend about $1100-1200 on a sig myself and they wont give me a hard case? :confused: :mad:

Makes me not want to get it...

Last edited:

JonathanZ

That's crazy! I don't really use my Sig case cause it's so big, but I'd still be ****** about buying a new gun and not getting a case.

I love my P226 though!

Kazaam

Apparently since March of this year theyre putting everything in cardboard. I know the plastic cases arent super high quality and i'm overreacting, but i'm seriously annoyed about this lol. Maybe i'll just get a different gun if they dont include cases. I mean, i'm already paying an insane premium to own a sig, and now i have to buy a separate plastic case?!!? :mad:

insomni

wow!.

um... I'd say since the hard cases that gun companies ship in are cutrate at best ANYWAY, put some money into the budget for a small case from Hardigg or Pelican.

tough way to find out about this new policy though:confused:

BarryLee

First that TACOPS is a very nice handgun let us know how it performs. :D

Secondly, to be honest all I use the plastic case for is to hold the manuals, but as a SIG owner the cardboard box thing sort of bothers me. When purchasing an above average priced gun you sort of expect an above average experience and not sure that includes cardboard. However, I wouldn’t let it bother me too much or keep me from buying another.

sigarms228

The P226 in ANY variation is a top shelf world class pistol.

I am glad to see cardboard boxes instead of the oversize plastic cases myself. For years SIG shipped their German proofed pistols in cardbaord boxes.
Custom 1911 Les Baer pistols come in cardboard boxes also.

sigarms228

I have heard sigs come with only 1 magazine now. Is this true?

The SP2022 only comes with one magazine to keep the price down. I have seen the SP2022 for as little as $349 from Palmetto State Armory.

Classic SIGs are still shipping with two magazines last I saw in my LGS a couple weeks ago.

power5

The image posted by "nssa" is not a cut rate case. Its got slide locks and form cut foam. My 92fs came in a cut rate case. It was thin plastic barely big enough to hold the gun and 2 mags and had no cut outs, just egg crate style foam inside. Also had living hinge style clips to hold shut. Feels like a cut rate case, but the 92fs was less than half the price of a tacops. Pretty sure the 2022 comes in a plastic case that looks like that tacops case.

morgaj1

I bought a Sig SP2022 from Academy a couple of weeks ago and it came with a single magazine and a cardboard box. When I asked the salesman, he said, "What do you expect for $399?" Well, most of the other guns in that price range (SA, Ruger, etc.) come with a case and an extra magazine. It irritated me...

Guys guys guys, everyone (almost) is starting to send their guns in cardboard boxes. Even Colt is doing it. They're cutting costs.

SIG 1911 XO / SA 1911 custom / Colt Gold Cup / SIG P226 e2 / Browning High-power / Walther PPQ / Beretta PX4 Storm / G34 / G19 / G21 / G22 / Kahr CW9 / S&W M-19 / Hk USP 40 / Rem 870 / Rock R. AR-15

sent from my Android

smokehouse4444

Do you have to have a certain amount of posts before you can quote someone? I'm not seeing the little icon for it. Regardless, I'm not sure what other SIG's are being shipped with, but the 226 Tacops comes with four (4) 20 rd magazines. I've read/seen some bad things about these American made magazines, but I will give them an honest workout and see how they do.

My initial impression of the gun is that it is...well, a SIG. Feels absolutely fantastic in the hand and points great. The balance is typically excellent. The decocker feels different compared to my P220, like you have to push a little harder at the end of the stroke to make it decock, but I have to be careful not to compare too much this brand new gun with my 25 year old, well broken in West German P220. The Tritium rear sights and fiber optic front sight are awesome. The magazines would not fall out of the grip when the release was pushed, but had to be pulled out. With some reps of putting them in and out, the mags are already starting to fall out most of the time. Was hoping to shoot and maybe even get some vid today, but might not have time.

I don't care all that much about the case, but it would have been nice with a pistol at this price range. Also, it didn't come with the target that had been shot three times. Is this something else that SIG is not doing anymore?

sigarms228

Also, it didn't come with the target that had been shot three times. Is this something else that SIG is not doing anymore?

Only German made and proofed SIGs come with a test target and not even all of them do anymore though Mastershop pistols like the amazing P226 X-Five do. My new Walther PPQ came with a test target which I thought was pretty cool.

smokehouse4444

I was able to sleepily go down to my local gun range today and get some rounds off. I took the new P226 Tacops and the P220 as a comparison. The P226 was flawless. Not one hiccup whatsoever. It's been a long time since I have shot a full size 9mm. I was a little surprised at the perceived recoil compared to the 45. I don't really notice the 45 recoil normally, but side by side, that 9 was markedly less. Absolutely buttery smooth.

android008.jpg

First shots from the P226 Tacops at about 20 yds or so. Middle ring 1st, then upper left, then upper right. Winchester White Box. Nice groups, flyers I'm sure are my sorry-a shooting. :p
P220 45 bottom left is WWB, and the last 5 old Glaser Safety Slugs on bottom right.

android006.jpg

These groups probably don't look that great to most of you, but just wanted to point out this is the "Mozambique" drill as was taught to me back in the early 80's. Not sure if it is still called this or not. Looking away, then bring weapon up from waist and quick double tap to mid mass, and semi aimed shot to the head. I don't really pick up any sights for the double tap, just push and kind of pick up the angle of the slide and pop, then try to pick up the sight for the head shot. The P220 is definitely "boomboom"...that P226 is much more like "duduh". FAST. The SRT is suhWEET!

Man, all I can say about that P226 right now is buttery smooth, accurate, very low recoil, no problems whatsoever. It feels like it has already been broken in. Think I'll keep it.

Last edited:

Mystro

My new p229 Elite Dark came with the plastic case and all the fixings. My gun was made on a Wednesday in May of 2012. I thought all of Sigs top of the line guns come with a carrying case. The msrp is only $1200.00:)

TunnelRat

The msrp is only $1200.00

They're practically giving them away!

Lol, sorry couldn't resist. When I can pick up a used SIG in pristine condition for $600 - $700, I just can't rationalize going anywhere close to their MSRP on some of their models.

As for the Tacops. I just hate those extendo-mags. I'd rather have the relatively flush fitting 18 rd Mecgars.