SIG P220 in .45, P226 in 9mm and P232SAS in .357SIG - opinions?

Robk

My experience would be with the P220 and P226. Handled a P239, just couldn't firgure it reason for being.

P220, great pistol, full size, full power 45acp. Only a single stack so a bit limited. Kind of little a new take on a 1911. kinda big to carry, but doable by all accounts.

P226, great pistol, full size, 9mm with little recoil, double stack. As with the P220, also kinda big to carry but doable.

P239. just too big for what it offers. Except in your case in .357 Sig. The 357 sig round is a hand full by all accounts, extra weight of the P239 would most likely allow it to handle more like a full size, full weight pistol for recoil. Kinda heavy to carry for its size, but in .357 sig, it could be worth it.

Personally, I much prefer the P220 ( just bought a full stainless version this week, making it even heavier than normal), but YMMV.

Just my take on this subject. Good luck with your decision.

Hammerhead

I'm a big fan of Sigs, but the P239 has terrible ergonomics for me.
The grip is so small that my trigger finger wraps all the way around the grip and hits my hand on the far side when I would try a quick DA pull.

Another concern of mine would be the possible banning of full capacity mags and/or the banning of hollow points. That leads me to recommend the P220 .45. Great gun, loved mine, just couldn't get it to feed SWC's reliably.

Hammerhead

Hammer: Semi wadcutters? Not flat wadcutters? That kinda surprises me that the SIG wouldn't feed em.
Semi wadcutters. Mostly plated and jacketed 200 grainers. I could get 95% reliability, but never 100%. Tried varying the OAL's and power levels, but never quite made 100%
Since I stocked up on plated and jacketed SWC's years ago when they were cheap, I needed a gun that would feed them. Only the USP .45 and the 1911 would feed SWC's 100% for me.
Now I shoot them from my .45 Colt carbine. Someday I hope to buy another 1911.

RC20

Another concern of mine would be the possible banning of full capacity mags and/or the banning of hollow points. That leads me to recommend the P220 .45. Great gun, loved mine, just couldn't get it to feed SWC's reliably.

I personally do not anticipate any issue with hollow points, aka SD ammunition.

WVsig

I do not think the 357 is a Boutique round, its just not currently top of the charts and may never be, but its both a good one and interesting and a very good range round. If you reload or get into it then its an easy one to reload. Cost is the same as 9mm other than the brass (assuming you have to buy the brass an not get range brass)

I think that it falls into that class, boutique round, because it is not growing in popularity. People are not issuing it as a duty weapon in great numbers. There are some who still us it in mass like the VA state troopers but I personally think its popularity has peaked and it was never really that popular. IMHO YMMV.

To the re loading portion I will take your word for it that it is easy to reload. I remember hearing it was harder than other rounds due to the crimp but I stand corrected....

It is not that is a bad round I just do not think it is or will ever be as well supported as 9mm or 45 ACP. Which in the changing gun climate to me is a consideration when purchasing new defense guns.

mykeal

Well, it's a crazy world out there right now. The opportunity has come and gone and I'm still shy a Sig Sauer.

First of all, the P239 fit my hand well and was a comfortable grip. The P220 was, unfortunately, too large both for my hand and something I could carry; this was impression I came to after trying all 3 for several minutes. The P226 also felt good, although perhaps a bit large I still felt I could deal with it. I did not have a chance to shoot them, and they were close enough that I'd need to do that.

Alas, the opportunity was an auction, and the loonies were out in force today. Prices on everything were sky high and the dealers went home either empty-handed or with just one or two special orders. All three guns were used, in good condition (90-95%). All three went for over $450 each, more than what I was prepared to pay.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'm still in the market but it's going to have to settle down a bit first.