SIG P220 in .45, P226 in 9mm and P232SAS in .357SIG - opinions?

mykeal

This weekend I have the opportunity to buy ONE of the following:

Sig Sauer P220 in .45 cal,

Sig Sauer P226 in 9 mm, or,

Sig Sauer P239SAS in .357 SIG.

Plan for use: CC & non-compete target shooting..

Which ONE (or, none :confused:) would you buy?

OOPS! Typo. It's a P239SAS, not a P232.:eek:

Last edited:

dgludwig

What do you want it for? CCW, home defense, the range? My SIG Model 220 Carry, with the relatively slim single-stack magazine, is the one I carry comfortably concealed in an iwb holster. I have a SIG Model 226 pistol with a light/laser and night sights for home defense duties in my nightstand.

taylor351

I like my p226 get the caliber x-change and have .40 and .357sig and .22 for the same gun. As someone said a while back it's the erector set for adults.

WVsig

I would skip the .357 Sig it is becoming more and more of a boutique round. Not many people have adopted it compared to 9mm, 45 ACP and 40 S&W. It will be more expensive to shoot and it is a harder round to reload I am told.

If I had to choose between the other 2 I would flip a coin. LOL You really cannot go wrong with either one.

LockedBreech

While it is unlikely that capacity-restricting legislation will be passed, it's possible. If it is, the P220 will still be available - and is a great gun. The .357 Sig, I agree with the above poster, isn't going to be mainstream for a while, if ever. I'd vote for the P226 in 9mm. :)

Eric M.

I own both. You can't go wrong with either one.
For accuracy at the range and to reload, go with the P220.
For anything else, I would take the P226. It has the high capacity mag. and 9mm factory ammo is much cheaper than .45acp.

If you are going for the P226, act fast before the liberals knock down mag cap.

Eric

chris in va

I had a 220, couldn't warm up to it nor shoot it very well. Grip too thin, limited mag capacity, high bire axis, hard DA pull.

I guess out of those three listed the 226. Ammo will be a lot more affordable.

bigghoss

Which ONE (or, none ) would you buy?

Whichever said W.Germany on the side. I just found two W. German P220's for $500 each, but background checks are backed up for a week. I should get the call saturday or monday to bring them home. After that look for the one that says "frame made in Germany", if they were built in the US then pass. If they're all German made than it would depend on what you already own, I'd probably go with the 226. Personally I wouldn't bother with .357 sig at all, you could probably get a .40 barrel for it and that would make more sense to me.

hulley

I would go with a P239 SAS in 9mm, but thats because I already have a P225, P238 and P229. I've resorted to only buying Sigs and revolvers.

mykeal

Unfortunately, the only choices I have here are those listed.

My current CCW is a S&W Model 60 in .357 Mag; I have no other semi-auto hand guns, so this would be my first.

If this opportunity doesn't pan out, I'll expand my options to include other calibers and even brands. Frankly, I'm partial to .45 after the .357 Mag, but the bigger consideration right now is value: get a good gun at a good price, with projectile as a second choice.

mach1.3

Big Sig fan. P220 in full size and compact frame, P226 in .40 and 9mm, P229 in .357 and .40(bbl), P210 9mm, P239 9mm and M11.

I can carry any of them but I prefer the P239 or the compact P220. I just got the M11 and it's my newest sidearm. One of my P226s is an E2 grip with short trigger. I've converted several of these with the SRT, short trigger and E2 grips--my hands are small. My P210 is solely a range gun. I also have an older P228.

MRL21

I have a 220 and 245 out of all the Sigs I've had.

Had a couple 239s, like has been said a few times, don't really see the point in them. Would not own another one as they are a heavy and bulky ccw piece. It can be done, but it can be done better. Had a .357 sig as well as a 9mm version. The advantage of the heft in the little gun was no recoil and they both were shooters.

Only had one 226 in 40 with a 357 sig barrel. I really liked the gun with the 357 sig barrel. It's an awesome little round and as long as there is brass people will be shooting it. I found it would shoot better and more accurate than the 40 as well. I muat admit I'm an anti 40 type.

So what I'm getting at is for me the 220 is the gun of choice, but you can't go wrong with any of them. Have to pick the one that you like the best or get all 3.

I picked the P220 due to the size. I prefer a single stack pistol. I would go handle all of them and see which are the most comfortable (holding and CC'ing), and go from there.

RC20

I take a bit of an opposite tact

I do not think the 357 is a Boutique round, its just not currently top of the charts and may never be, but its both a good one and interesting and a very good range round. If you reload or get into it then its an easy one to reload. Cost is the same as 9mm other than the brass (assuming you have to buy the brass an not get range brass)

Real good CC guns are not good target shooting guns. Range work with them is to practice with them to be proficient.

226 is a good range gun and HD, but not as easy to conceal.

220 is a good range gun, good HD but not easy to conceal either though its a bit less bulky (you also give up a lot of rounds and not as easy to control as a 9mm and I have not shot a 357 Sig chambered gun yet)

So its a contrary set of conditions and which do you want the most?

The 239 is not a bad choice for CC as you will not shoot it that much and the 357 rounds can be had at a higher cost but if you do not shoot a lot of them small dent in the wallet relatively speaking