Sig Mosquito - is it worth the $?

spodwo

I think I've made up my mind. Black on black or black on hot pink? Think I'll have my wife decide.

Vibrant:

pink-Mos-detail.jpg

Oh by the way - maybe you shouldn't get the Sig Skeeter - they shoot very slow and plays loud music to boot...:D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmTh9xmu8ds

One thing about the video above though - what kind of idiot stands so close to a target on top of a big rock?

Last edited:

QBall45

See there ya go. My daughter's will flip if I don't get the black on hot pink.

I'm a bread & butter guy when it comes to my guns. Standard normal guns in normal calibers in black & stainless.

But, I like the look & feel of this lil skeeter. Really like the blavk on pink. I think is get this color combo even without the influence of my girls. (And no, I'm not that way)

We all know black & stainless are the only colors for a serious social work shootin iron. And, pink's for casual social engagements like shootin tin cans & water filled milk jugs with the kids.

traildale

I picked up a Mosquito last week based on SIG's reputation and having owned a SIG 9mm a couple years ago. Bad move. I should have found this web site before I bought. After a thorough cleaning and 300 rounds, the best I've seen is a few clips with 20% fte and the worst was 70% fte's on one clip full.
Nice. Buy a gun to save money shooting inexpensive ammo and it turns out it only likes expensive the stuff.
I'll be taking it back.
I've owned lots of guns, and some really cheap $60 eastern European pistols and nothing has been anywhere near as bad as this SIG.

sltintexas

I used to defend mosquitos quite a bit. I shot a walther 22 last weekend and wish I had gotten it instead. It felt nice, it was problem free.

dstyle47

I really advise against the mosquito. I feel that Sig should not have put their name on it. I have one, and have been nothing but disappointed with it. It jams frequently and constantly with all ammo i have tried. it is fun to shoot, when it shoots. I also recommend this gun strongly if you like racking your slide or feel cool racking your slide, because you will have the opportunity to do this repeatedly if you buy a mosquito. Prob one of the worst .22's i have shot.

dec41971

I recommend the Walther P22 instead of the mosquito. I switched to CCI Mini Mags for this gun too, works like a charm.

I want a SIG 220 DAK pistol to complement my Kimber Ultra Covert II .45 1911, and Berretta PX4 9mm, so I am not against SIG, just the Mosquito proved crappy for me. I resold it to the store, and they recommended the Walther P22. I was skeptical, but the Berretta Neos unusual grip angle didn't feel right, so I reluctantly went with the P22. I am happy to say, it was absolutely the right decision.

earlthegoat2

You must use high velocity ammo and if it still malfunctions you need to find the right ammo. If it still malfunctions you need to polish the feed ramp with flitz or mothers.

Generally after all these techniques have been exhausted your Mosquito will work fine. Some morons seem to think that having to experiment with ammo is unacceptable. Some still think having to modify the gun by polishing the feed ramp is unacceptable. Well to you guys you have been warned.

ZEN.45

If you want a plinker that’s great for your kids, you might consider spending a little more and buying a Beretta 87. It’s …
- expensive
+ reliable
+ small & light enough for kids/beginners
+ NOT picky about ammo
+ double action
+ easy disassembly (like a model 92)
+ durable (your GRANDchildren will enjoy it)
+ beautiful

s6001422td0.jpg

zombieslayer

Yeah, the sig mosquito has problems. The walther is a nice pistol, ive shot both. My favorite .22 is my ruger mkII. Accurate, durable, cheap. But a bear to clean

Glock_fan

Had one, HATED it. It was a jamming machine, very aggravating so I returned it and got my money back. I think you will be hard pressed to find someone with good things to say about them. If you don't want Ruger or Browning I would reccomend you take a look at the CZ Kadet, about the same money, and a great looking gun to boot. Good luck!

-Kurt

N.H. Yankee

Here's what I have owned recently. S&W 22A, Walther P22, Browning Buckmark Camper, Sig Mosquito threaded barrel model. I sold the S&W, constant feeding problems, sold the P22, same problem jams constantly. The Browning has been very reliable and accurate. The Mosquito has fed at least 10 different types of 22 LR reliably and is almost as accurate as the Browning. The Mosquito will not feed CCI velocitor reliably only so far. The browning has a better trigger, but they are of different design also.

looking at price verses quality Browning Buckmark wins by quite a bit in my opinion. I have owned a few Ruger semi 22's and never fell in love with any of them. Triggers were always marginal, accuracy was decent, reliability was good with some and not with others I owned. The last Ruger 22 I bought was about 10 years ago.

1-UP

I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've EVER heard somebody say the Ruger grip was too big. Usually folks are looking for aftermarket grips to thicken them up a bit.

Wish I could give some input one way or another on the Sig, but I've never had the chance to shoot one. I see a lot of them going used for about $350 or so, but that doesn't mean much. If I could find one for $250 or so I'd probably take the chance on it.

fastforty

Someone has to say it......

Training kids to shoot, especially "young" kids (OP didn't state actual ages) is a job for a RIFLE, preferably a youth size rifle. Most kids lack necessary muzzle awareness and the ability to realize the seriousness of the situation to have a handgun stuck in their hands. I don't walk, I RUN the other way when I see any kid under 14 years old (& even a lot of them over 14) with a pistol in their hands, even with very close adult supervision.

gyvel

If it absolutely has to be a SIG, look around for a Trailside. My Trailside has been 100% reliable and fairly accurate. The only gripe I have is the plastic mags, but, so far, they've not caused trouble. (Come to think of it, I wasn't real thrilled with the blue and grey laminated wood grips, either, but that's more of a cosmetic preference.)

Other than that, stay away from the Mosquito and look for a Ruger .22 or, my personal favorite, the CZ Kadet.

One .22 auto that is really nice (IMO) is the Smith & Wesson 2206. Unfortunately, it is no longer in production. The 2206 ( an all-stainless version of the original 422) has been another 100% gun for me and is exceptionally accurate. Magazines are interchangeable with Model 41/46 mags, and are available in 10 or 12 shot variations.

raftman

Some morons seem to think that having to experiment with ammo is unacceptable. Some still think having to modify the gun by polishing the feed ramp is unacceptable.

It may not be unacceptable, but it's certainly not preferable. If there are guns that will shoot perfectly right out of the box, and will shoot whatever ammo you put in them... then why bother with a gun that won't? Maybe if you're gonna be saving money, but the Mosquito is in the same price class as more reliable .22 semi-autos.

XD9GUY

Sig Mosquito

Recently bought a used Mosquito. Loved the look. It would not load a shell with a fully loaded clip (10 rounds). Tried all kinds of ammo, no dice. However, 7 rounds or less it would do fine. Went and looked at a new Mosquito and saw that it had a steel Magazine. The one in my used Mosquito was Plastic. Also noticed that there was an unusual amount of drag with the plastic Mag when trying to unload the clip by hand. Traded the gun back to the dealer for a new Mosquito with a steel Magazine. The new one shoots fine with any ammo. I even tried the Remington Goldens as well as Remington Thunderbolts (plain lead) just for kicks and had no FTF problems. I really think the used gun was fine, the problem was in the Magazine.

surfzombie

Sorry I am late to the party. I have two Mosquito's and I love them both. I have one standard model and one sport model. You basically have to break it in. Shoot the snot out of it. Use CCI Mini mags and Blazer or better. Mine will digest just about anything I feed it now. Make sure you clean it and Lube it properly. They also come with different recoil springs to help fix any problems. My only complaint about this gun is the cost or the extra mags. My wife loves it to because she can pull back the slide easily compared to other semi-auto 22's. If you want to save some look at getting a good used one. I bought the sport model for $300 barely used with two mags. The standard model was given to me by my brother-in-law because he experienced all the FTF, FTE and didn't like it. I have had a few FTF and no FTE's but each time I shoot it. It is getting better and better all the time. It even shoots the bulk Federal from Wally World now