Sig Mosquito - is it worth the $?

QBall45

Looking at 22LR plinkers last night and found the Sig Mosquito. I like its size. Looks like a full featured "real" gun. It should fit the roll as a trainer for the kids.

My question is this: is this gun really worth the $350? No chance to test fire before buying, so I can only go on feel & Sig's rep.

Did a bit of reading and have found that there seems to be quite a few people unhappy with this gun. Chief complaint looks to be reliadility...aka ftf & fte.

Anyone know if Sig has corrected these issues?

Not that interested in a Ruger or Buckmark as this will fill the roll as a trainer for the kids.

Thanks

Chris_B

The mosquito feels great in my hand, it points well. Any 22 auto-loader can be ammo-picky

I went with a P22. I got a good deal and the P22 appealed to me more. Size-wise the P22 isn't as small as folks make it out. Check the size at Walther America's website compared to other "full size" Walthers. The problem is the short grip. There's a guy named Earl who makes extension floorplates available. I've been to his shop a few times and he's a good guy; the finger extensions do wonders for the pistol

That said, I'd own a Mosquito any day as I think the knocks on them are the same as the knocks on the P22- overblown doom and gloom with little fact behind them. I say go for it, but try to find a good used one. $350 sounds steep

spodwo

I have the Sig Skeeter - it works great, no issues. Yes - it works better with certain kinds of ammo and you need to keep it lubed well. Just read the instructions that come with the pistol. Many .22s in Rifle and pistol eat some ammo better than others. I already have the "target" type .22s and wanted something more like the Sig or P22. I am sure someone will jump on here and convince you to get the Ruger mark II or III, Browning or something...

Initially - there were more issues with the first runs. I got mine and it was manufactured in April of 2008. If you go back far enough in the searches - the listed Serial numbers of the "iffy" runs are listed somewhere on the 'net or here.

In hindsight - I wish I would have gotten the .22 cal conversion for my Sig 229 and probably will still do so. The reason I say this is that I would have the grip, feel and most of the weight associated with my 229. The Skeeter is smaller, lighter than it's correpsonding bigger brothers.

But it is more of a plinker and not a target pistol...

rsxr22

imo no its not worth the money. I would spend the few more dollars and get a ruger 22/45 or Browning buckmark

QBall45

rsxr22 "imo no its not worth the money. I would spend the few more dollars and get a ruger 22/45 or Browning buckmark"

I did not ask about a ruger or a browning. If I'd wanted one of those I would not even have posted. I know which browning I want for myself. If you read my OP you would have discovered that I am looking for a trainer/inker for my young kids. The ruger & brownings are way to big for my daughters hands.

Thanks for your opinion anyway.

sho'nuff

I have one. As long as you use cci-mini mags (ball or hp) it will work fine. I've put about 1000 rounds through it and i've had maybe 2-3 FTF. But I tried some blazers in it and most of those would jam. Overall I'm satisfied with it, not super pleased. As the other poster stated I think I should have gone with a bigger sig and got the conversion. Here's a link from the sig forum with maintenance info:

http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/430601935/m/54410021

m.p.driver

Had one for two weeks,tried different magazines,different ammunition,and couldnt get it to feed better than 60%.Took it back to the dealer and he gave me a refund towards a S&W 17 that he had.

QBall45

I think that the ftf issue wjile a pita, would be good training. For myself and the kids. How hard is it to train malf. drills with your SD/carry gun when it almost never malfunctions?

I'm thinking about getting the one with the pink frame. Its different and my daughters have been bugging for a "pink" gun. Maybe it would be enough to get my wife out shooting with us.

spodwo

rsxr22 "imo no its not worth the money. I would spend the few more dollars and get a ruger 22/45 or Browning buckmark"

From spodwo:
I am sure someone will jump on here and convince you to get the Ruger mark II or III, Browning or something...

I called that one, didn't I! ;)

As far as someone not getting it to feed more than 60%...there is something else wrong there. Even with crappy .22 ammo - I never had more than 1 or 2 FTEs in about in a box of 50. I might add - which spring did you have in it? It comes with 2 - one for milder .22 loads. Plus, you can put the spring in the wrong way - there is a specific direction it needs to be placed. Finally - the lube instructions are pretty specific.

Anyway - It is fun little pistol.

JWT

I looked at the Mosquito and almost bought one until reading too many negative reports on the little gun. Even though I wanted the Sig I ended up buying a S&W P22 and have not been at all sorry for the decision.

I know the P22 gets mixed reports too. Mine has been flawless and shoots anything except the Remington bulk pack ammo. If you want a small handgun that would be suited for kids you might want to take a look at that as an alternative to the Sig. It's a great little plinker.

QBall45

spodwo,
Yep you called it!

Its rather funny. If I'd wanted info on an XD their'd be someone chiming in about how I need to look at M&P & Glock's.

If I can't laugh about it, well...

Anyhow, I guess I'll have to convince the bookkeeper that the kids need a new pistol. So they can start training. Can't ever start em too early...

rsxr22

qball

i apologize for my post. I neglected to read your entire post. Yes i do recommend other pistols, but after i read the entire post i saw that you had ruled those out.

I had a Mosquito for about a year. It was just very finicky with different rounds. It was the most consistent with CCI mini-mags and Stingers though. Most failures were FTE. I also did not like the trigger and had a local smith work it over. He made the trigger better but even with some polishing still it was having problems feeding ammo.

My advice after reading your entire post LOL:

Try and locate one of the Sig 226 .22's. That way you can also swap out into a centerfire. Or pick up a 226,229,220 and buy a conversion kit for it. I went the route of the ruger 22/45 because i wanted the same grip angle as my 1911's. But then you can justify getting yourself a new pistol and then swapping out for the x-change kit and having a gun for your children. The only downfall is that it can get pricey. The 226 .22's normally run about $450-475 for the ones that i have seen but an xchange kit would be more expensive. The P22 is not a bad choice either, but the reason i decided against it is the same reason i decided against the MKIII. The MKIII has a dramatic grip angle and the p22 has almost a toy feeling to it and then when i switched to centerfire's everything would feel weird. But if they are going to be shooting the .22 exclusively then i wouldnt rule out the p22.

I apoligize for my previous ignorance!

QBall45

Apology accepted.

I think you may have done what I've done on occasion...read part of the post hit reply and start typing.

Not to concerned about switching back and forth between my 1911 and a 22.

As for the kids, I'd like something that does not look like a "toy" I get enough static from the wife about the youngest (she's 3) bang banging the cats in the yard. (Oopps, guess I shouldn't pop cats with the kids around anymore)

chris in va

If you're looking for a kid's 22, consider the Walther P22. Heck I'm an adult and really enjoy it!

But if you want a full size 22, also consider the CZ Kadet. Excellent and reliable.

BTW careful about shooting feral cats. My friend was charged with a felony for doing that, reduced to a lesser misdemeanor charge once he hired a lawyer. Seems the neighbor lady down the road was feeding one and caught wind he shot it.

wbw

I've got at least 500 rounds through my Skeeter with zero problems. I think most of the problems were with the early examples. Keep it clean and start out with CCI Mini-mags and you should be fine. I wouldn't buy one used.

Mine is a lot of fun and a keeper. There is a guy over on the sigforum that's starting to have some trouble with his, but he's got 27,000 rounds through it. Not bad for a plastic plinker.

Distortion

Get a SIG Classic 22:
SIG SAUER's new Classic centerfire pistols new .22 LR Rimfire models. The same P220®, P226®, and P229® that have been used by civilian, law enforcement, and military personnel the world over, can now have these same models factory built in .22LR. The SIG SAUER® Classic .22’s are built on the same frame as their centerfire counterparts.

All three Classic .22’s feature the same SIG SAUER Four-Point safety system which employs a decocking lever, a patented automatic firing pin safety block, a safety intercept notch, and a trigger bar disconector. The new machined slides also feature a front sight adjustable for drift and a rear sight adjustable for both windage and elevation.

With the purchase of a new SIG SAUER Classic .22 shooters can now enjoy hours of serious training at the range for a fraction of what they would pay practicing with full recoil centerfire rounds.

SIG SAUER Classic .22’s are shipped in a lockable case with one 10-round magazine. The MSRP for the Classic P220, P226 and P229 is $608.00.

Be sure to check out the new SIG SAUER X-CHANGE Kit™ is the perfect accessory for your SIG SAUER Classic .22 rimfire pistols. Now shooters can add SIG SAUER centerfire performance with just the change out of the slide assembly, barrel, recoil system, and magazine to any of the standard production pistol calibers; 9mm, .40 S&W, and .357SIG. Exchanging components does not alter the reliability or accuracy of either assembly.

Owning a SIG SAUER Classic .22 and a centerfire X-CHANGE Kit provides the added benefit of owning two pistols in a single premium package. More shooting at a lower cost with the full size SIG SAUER pistol you’re accustomed to; the SIG SAUER Classic .22 caliber pistols that now include the option for centerfire performance with a SIG SAUER X-CHANGE Kit.

You can get one from Bud's. They come with a coupon for purchasing a 9mm, 357SIG or 40S&W conversion kit at a discount. If you purchase the discounted conversion kit you will end up with a fully functioning full-sized SIG with a 22LR conversion kit for basically the same amount of money as you would if you just purchased a regular SIG. So it's like getting a 22LR conversion kit for free. The SIG 22LR conversion kits usually cost around $350.

Delaware_Dan

imo no its not worth the money. I would spend the few more dollars and get a ruger 22/45 or Browning buckmark

You would be saving money in my neck of the woods on a 22/45. The no frills Ruger .22lrs start at $249 NIB here in DE. I paid $269 for a MKIII with the 6 inch pencil BBL, and I have not had one malfunction out of a handful of Federal bulk packs. Acouple rounds I thought for sure were squibs, but they ejected fine, and loaded another round no problem. Oh none of them were squibs, just sounded/felt like them.

On the subject, no they are not worth the money. Guns that jam a lot are not worth anything in my book, but I hold my guns to a ridiculously higher reliability standard than I should. I would buy a .22 that is not picky about ammo like a Buckmark or a MKIII. The Buckmark is easier to disassemble, and has a straiter grip angle, and the MKIII has the "Luger style" grip angle but can be a pain to disassemble the first couple of times. Try to hold all three before you buy, I think you will really like the Ruger grip.

Last edited:

QBall45

I give up!

Since I'm looking for a trainer for the kids...

I know, I'll go buy a "full size" ruger or buckmark that's got a grip that's as big as my 1911.

Since I've already got a 1911...and reload my own cast lead @ $50/k which is about the same price as 22LR...

I think I'll just tell my daughter with very small hands that she's SOL... Deal with the full size grip or don't shoot!

Ya right!

I guess since...

I think I've made up my mind. Black on black or black on hot pink? Think I'll have my wife decide.

Thanks to all who understood the intent of this purchase. Thanks for your help.