Sig Handguns? Are they worth the money? Are others?

AK103K

is that the difference between American and German engineering?
You hear a lot of complaints about the difference, but I think a lot of it is just elitist/purist BS.

I've owned 18 SIG's, with about a 30/70 split (German/US), and the only gun I had any trouble with, was the P238. Everything else, basically all standard models, worked fine.

gwnorth

Big Bill - that's certainly a better comparison in term of the types of firearms. I have a CZ P-01 which I bought after my P226. I wanted something a bit smaller and money was a bit tighter at the time so the P-01 was my selection over a P229 or P239. I love that P-01 and it's a great pistol.

If the question is "I don't have the funds for a SIG so what can I get for less but with similar construction and controls?" then sure, there are lots of good choices available. But I'd add that given what many other pistols retail for, SIGs are not necessarily pie-in-the-sky expensive either. And there is always the option of red-tag SIGs as well (factory serviced used).

CK Bigoldi

I contemplated the same question when I was looking for a new addition to the collection. I kept looking at other guns and comparing them to SIGs and finally decided to buy a "starter Sig" to get a feel for the line. I bought a P225 from Topgun. It turned out to be an excellent gun that shot well and felt nice in my hand. It was worth every penny of the $350 I paid for it and I was very satisfied with my purchase. As much as I love the gun I have to admit that I would not pay double the price for it. Since then I have picked up a few more Sigs but I refuse to pay more than $500 for one. I have a 226, 2022, 225, 229, 239. All of them were in Excellent to Like New condition when I bought them. The most expensive one was $475 for the 239 from Summit Gun Broker.

So, the short answer for me is "No, TO ME they are not worth their new price premium" but they are darn fine guns and I will continue to buy more as they come on the market.

BTW, I do the same thing with cars. :D

geetarman

I have purchased 5 Sigs in the last two years and have been pleased. I paid way too much for them. The election fallout dramatically increased the demand and therefore the price.

I have one gun (P220 Elite) back at the factory because of a very unusual wear pattern on the bottom of the barrel.

I have had no issues with the others. I like the SRT on the Elite models better than the standard triggers on the alloy frame. I also like the added weight of the Elite over the alloy frame.

I do not carry so the weight issue doesn't concern me.

I think that if I did carry, the elite would get heavy in a hurry.

It would have been nice to get them cheaper. I think the Elites ran me a grand each and the alloy P220 and P226 were around $900.

I will say that I bought a CZ75-SP01 that shoots every bit as good as the Sig P229. Both guns are 9mm.

I am taking the CZ in for a trigger job today and will let you know how it shoots when I get it back.

The CZ custom shop is right here in Mesa.

Geetarman:D

shootingblanks

I have a P220 that was manufactured in 2006. Great gun and performs flawlessly. I used to have a glock G21 and that gun was pretty decent. I personally prefer the P220 over the G21. HKs are great guns and fired a few of my friends but they are costly also. My next gun I'm looking at is the Glock g30.

triplebike

Big Bill, here's one of the best handgun values available today;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beretta_8000 (key is the last paragraph)

If this series fits ones hand & meets their requirements you will not find a higher quality handgun for anywhere near it's price.

9MM - $369 NIB

45ACP - $419 NIB

I have/had both. (Stoeger) Both have been flawless (well over 2500 rds fired between the two)

When I bought most of mine, most models were NIB with night sights for around $750. From what I've seen these days, its more like $1000+ for the same guns.

Man I don't know who's pricing the guns where you are but I've never paid OVER $750 for a NIB Sig. Last one I picked up was 226 SCT 9mm, and that I paid under $700 delivered.

Used Sigs are a great way to go if you're on more of a budget like CK Bigoldi said. Only thing you give up is you're limited to what is on the used market.

i think they are well worth it. i have a few as well as other cheaper brands and as with anything you get what you pay for and to top it off there customer service is great!

AustinTX

The P229 I bought in 1997 is an amazing gun. I think there are a select few manufacturers with production service pistols that can match it in overall quality (some being less expensive), but it's one of the very finest.

The recent price increases are absurd, however, especially since they coincide with increased quality control complaints and corner-cutting parts sourcing. I'm sure Sigs are still great guns overall, but I'm put off by these developments. There are other guns that are less expensive and every bit as good.

(And it's not the price itself that bothers me, by the way. It's the two aforementioned developments happening simultaneously.)

Jimmy10mm

I am very satisfied with my .40 P229 and .380 P238. They were relatively expensive, coming with the SAS treatment, but have proved worth it to me. While I could never bring myself to spend the two to three thousand dollars for an Ed Brown, Les Baer, or a Nighhawk I wouldn't say they aren't 'worth it'. We all have to make these assessments for ourselves.

sigsas.jpg

greyeyezz

10-15 years ago, yes they were worth the extra cash. Now, no way. Today its moving metal out the door first, quality second. There are much better options out there now, Glock, M&P, XD for a lot less money.

NJgunowner

Sorry, but I tried all the rest and found Sig to be the best. I came very close to CZ 75b, but I just found the sig to be the better gun for ME. One of these days I plan to get the CZ, or a Ruger Gp100.

johnbt

"I can buy a 9mm M&P for around $450. Why should I pay more?"

I bought a Sig X-5 TAC TB for $1399. Why should I pay less? I got what I wanted.

See, it all depends on your point of view. :)

AK103K

Man I don't know who's pricing the guns where you are but I've never paid OVER $750 for a NIB Sig. Last one I picked up was 226 SCT 9mm, and that I paid under $700 delivered.
I was paying that $750 a gun seven or eight years ago, and I was getting the volume discount too. I suppose a lot of it is where you are and what the market will bear. Even so, I dont remember seeing them in the SGN or Gun List for much cheaper than that at the time.

Around here, $700 for a used gun would not be at all unheard of, and what I got for a couple of mine when I sold them. NIB for a stock gun with night sights now, $850-900 is about probably average, and places like Gander Mountain, higher yet. Even on Glocks, they are usually $100 more on guns without night sights, than most places sell the same guns with night sights for.