Sig-Hammerli Trailside

Cycrops

6" barrel. Fixed sights. Looks like new.

Fantastic deal, you could sell it for close to double what you paid. Let us know how it shoots! I'm taking mine out on Sunday. I've read they are meant to only use standard velocity ammo and I couldn't find CCI Standard at Cabela's or Wal-Mart today :mad:

Edit/Update: The manual that came with gun says "standard or high velocity ammo" so I guess the internet was wrong when I read that the gun wants standard velocity only.

Last edited:

Cycrops

Picked up mine from my FFL today. The auction seller listed the gun "like new in box." He failed to mention flaking/chipping/bubbling finish on slide and broken trigger guard, along with normal wear and tear type marks that you would expect on a well-used gun. Were I the one selling it, I would have listed it as "good" condition and shown close-up photos of the problems.

Based on the fact that his seller feedback is almost universally positive, I'm hoping he'll figure out how to make it right, considering I paid a "like new" price for it. No fun having rain on your gun purchase parade. :(

Casimer

These are very accurate pistols, but I'd found mine difficult to shoot well and eventually sold it to another BE shooter. They're very light and the trigger takes some getting used to. It's spongy - at least mine was. Mine was also noticeably hold sensitive. But other shooters I know really love them.

fomalley

Trailside and parts

I have a standard 4" Trailside that I bought in 2007 for 450.00. I was able to get a second magaizine for an additional 40.00. Like a lot of .22 semis it is finicky with ammo - doesn't like blunt nose/hollow points.

The barrel is part of the frame, which I'm sure adds to its accuracy. However, I don't shoot it as well as I did with my old Ruger with a bull barrel, and I think that's due to the different in weight (the Trailside is quite light).

Parts are a problem, especially smaller, more obscure items. For example, there's a small polymer frame extension that has to be removed for field stripping. It is held to the frame by a screw, and the hole for the screw in the polymer extension has become stripped, so the screw won't tighten it firm to the frame. I can't find a new extension anywhere, so I've had to use some thin material to hold the screw in place. Just an irritant.

I do like the gun a lot. It feels great in my hand. It is super accurate, but the light weight tests my skills.

Cycrops

I can't find a new extension anywhere, so I've had to use some thin material to hold the screw in place. Just an irritant.

Is this is the part you're looking for?

The link is to an aluminum replacement (the original is polymer).

wgsigs

The only problem other than trying to find them, was part of the saftey. Seems that it (the part inside the slide) was made from soft metal and the cup where the ball and spring would reside would deform. I think I got the lever, a new ball and spring from Larry's for like $10 and took me a few minutes to fix.
So has the soft metal been fixed in the new part, or will you have to revisit this maintenance again in the future?

GaryH

I shot mine for the first time today. After putting 250 rounds thru it I'd say it's well worth the money I spent on it. Even though the sights are only windage adjustable, they worked well for me at 15 and 25 yards. The range was a bit dark at the shooters stand, and I believe if I'd had white dots on the sights I'd have shot even better. I'm going to try it next time with white out dots, and if that works better for me I'll use some white enamel.

It shoots as well as my 5.5" Buckmark, but I wouldn't say that for me it shoots any better. From a rest they both are very accurate. The 6" barrel of the Trailside doesn't seem to be an advantage for me.

I used both round nose and hollow point Winchester.

Dondor

Yes, I want to say the original part for me failed at around 2000-3000 rounds or about 200-300 engages of the safety. That was... 6 years ago? I have probably put another 5000+ downrange and it is still as crisp as it was when I first did it.

When the original part began to fail, the safety started to feel "mushy" when going from safe to fire and back to safe. It got softer as I continued. It would still function, it just would not lock in either position.

Of all the guns I own, this one is still my favorite.