Sig concealment options.

MosinM38

Great. I will definately order a couple of boxes then. They look like they're loaded pretty hot. Which is good. Except for the price I definately won't do much more than make sure they are sighted in every now and then.

sks

I carry the 228 in a Bianchi Shadow II. It is a high ride holster and works well for me. The thumb break keeps it tight into the body. While the size might not be that much smaller than the 226 or 220, it does make a huge difference for me. The small details matter in concealment. It will depend on your body size and build as well.

My 220 is noticably thinner than the 228 but much, much more difficult to conceal.

You'll have to try several holsters and see what works for you. Some I thought would be great are not so hot.

Best of luck!

MosinM38

Yeah, holster are what'll break me ;)

I am going to look long and hard, choosing carefully which ones to test.

Amazing, but I don't think the entire STATE of Montana has a store with holsters in-stock......At least concealment holsters.

I am gonna save my money for a little bit ;) Not go overboard on "Hafta get a gun". Eventually something will turn up, in the meantime I'll use my 226 or 1911.

P.S. As much as the Sig IS a great gun for it's pure reliability and handling, the ol' 1911 is pretty hard to beat as well ;) I guess I still have a tough time carrying cocked and locked or it would be a top choice.

AK103K

Keep an eye on EBay. You can often get some good deals on holsters there, both new and used. Its also a good place to get rid of the ones that dont work out, so you can still recover some money. I made a good bit back cleaning out my holster box a number of years back.

Dont sweat the 1911 cocked and locked. If your using a decent holster, even if the safety should get knocked off, you really have nothing to worry about, and especially with the Series 80's guns. If your gun is reliable and your comfortable with it, its a good choice.

SigfanTN

IMG_2716.jpg

239 in a Crossbreed Supertuck. I sprung for the horsehide because it gets hot here and I sweat a lot. It has been a very good, comfortable holster. It's not the prettiest, but hey, I'm not showing off my CCW. :cool:

StuntManMike

While several thousand sky marshalls make P229s invisible on a daily basis, I have not found a way to carry my P229 in such fashion. If I was going to concealed carry a SIG it would be the P238 or P232. I find traditional Sigs just too wide for comfort.

AK103K

This aint directed at you personally StuntMan, just a general observation I see all the time across the boards...

It seems a lot of people are of the belief that you cant easily carry a full sized gun, or at least it seems that way from the many comments on the internet these days.

I'm starting to think we've had another shift in the evolutionary ladder, and the new age man is incapable of wearing anything bigger than a pocket gun on their person, and only one of those, without a reload, at that. (then again, most of those boys also tell me I wont need more than 5 rounds to solve the problem anyway, and they have the statistics to prove it.) :rolleyes:

I consider the P220, P226, P229, and P239 to be on the smaller side of full size, and really not at all difficult to keep out of sight. The P230/232 and the new P238 are the "small" SIG's, and they really are only basically thinner, and with less mass than the others. Height and length, they really are not all that different, or at least the P230/232 arent, I dont have a P238 to know for sure. I routinely (and comfortably) carry a P229 (with a double reload) and a P230 at the same time, and thats along with a Seecamp, and all under nothing more than a sweatshirt/fleece in cooler weather or untucked oxford type shirt in warmer weather. (I'm not all that big either, 5'6", 165#)

I know we all have different situations, and some have more stringent dress codes, but if you really want to, you really can carry pretty much anything you want, with little trouble and just a slight adjustment in your dress. This is especially true these days, with the wide variety of well made, and well thought out concealment holsters available. We've come a long way from one or two available IWB holsters and the old, and very uncomfortable, belly bands.

pogo2

P239 in 9mm

I have the P226, P229 and P239, and I prefer the smaller P239 in 9mm for carry. I use a high riding Desantis belt scabbard holster and it doesn't show under a long T shirt. The gun is fairly thin for a Sig, and has a very compact grip.

SigP23970.jpg

SigP239Holster20.jpg

CXMAN

I have a pair of 229's (.40 & 9mm) and both are fine for concealed carry .. given the proper attire (one could argue that's largely true of most any handgun of course). I'm fairly thin, so I can't just carry some honking pistol and expect to hide it without walking around in a coat on a warm day. All winter long I carry my 229 and whenever I'm wearing jeans and an untucked shirt I carry the 229. When it's warm enough for shorts, I opt for my Walther PPS. The issue I have is not as much the size, but the weight is just not terribly comfortable and my gun belts that offer great support for the 229 just don't work as well with shorts .. my .02

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Sig fan .. but the Walther is just easier for summer apparel for me. FYI, the Crossbreed holster is excellent for the 229 (and the PPS).

FWIW

StuntManMike

This aint directed at you personally StuntMan, just a general observation I see all the time across the boards...

It seems a lot of people are of the belief that you cant easily carry a full sized gun, or at least it seems that way from the many comments on the internet these days.

I'm starting to think we've had another shift in the evolutionary ladder, and the new age man is incapable of wearing anything bigger than a pocket gun on their person, and only one of those, without a reload, at that. (then again, most of those boys also tell me I wont need more than 5 rounds to solve the problem anyway, and they have the statistics to prove it.)

I consider the P220, P226, P229, and P239 to be on the smaller side of full size, and really not at all difficult to keep out of sight. The P230/232 and the new P238 are the "small" SIG's, and they really are only basically thinner, and with less mass than the others. Height and length, they really are not all that different, or at least the P230/232 arent, I dont have a P238 to know for sure. I routinely (and comfortably) carry a P229 (with a double reload) and a P230 at the same time, and thats along with a Seecamp, and all under nothing more than a sweatshirt/fleece in cooler weather or untucked oxford type shirt in warmer weather. (I'm not all that big either, 5'6", 165#)

I know we all have different situations, and some have more stringent dress codes, but if you really want to, you really can carry pretty much anything you want, with little trouble and just a slight adjustment in your dress. This is especially true these days, with the wide variety of well made, and well thought out concealment holsters available. We've come a long way from one or two available IWB holsters and the old, and very uncomfortable, belly bands.

He who cares least, wins.

No offense taken. Maybe it is just the way I dress because I know it can be done. Or perhaps I need a different holster, perhaps a SOB holster. I would love to carry my SP01 or P1445LTD because I shoot those better than my Glock 19. For now those get limited to fanny pack carry which doesn't work in some situations.

MosinM38

Lot of helpful stuff guys :)

I'll keep an eye out for some IWB tuckables.

Until I find it, I think I'll use my 1911 awhile. I do like it, only problem is sometimes the first round into the chamber gets a FTF, but that won't be a problem if I keep one in the chamber (Mec-gar 8 round mags+1 in chamber).

Right now I got a IWB for it. I'll probably start wearing a T-shirt inner, and a light cloth outer untucked. I know I did that one day and you couldn't tell I was carrying. Once I get a tuckable I think I can wear regular shirts again. I can stick the gun (No holster yet) in the right spot and you can't see it, even with relatively tightly tucked shirts....

Then again, tightly tucked is a relative word ;) I am rail-thin skinny and all my shirts seem to have 6" of gap on either side. lol.

Fat Boy

SigP23970.jpg

Pogo2,
Beautiful gun, I really wish I could find this in all stainless as you have it, thanks for the pictures. I am sure this shoots like a dream. I have the P220 and P226 both is stainless and am ever looking for the P239.

AK103K

I'm fairly skinny, and either way, this is how I carry them. Theres a double reload in a belt carrier on the off side.

ry%3D400

samurai30047

Sig P229

I love my P229 and have a CQC from Blackhawk for faster draw. It's a outside the pants and a bit bulky for the summer. I like to wear a Levi jacket over it. I also have a Galco leather centurion(former name) now it's the cop three slot holster has an angular position and an extra belt hole for straighter belt carry(outside the pants). The leather still needs breaking in so it's a little slow on the draw, which is why I bought the CQC plastic holster. My summer carry is my Glock 27 or 26. Blackhawk serpa holster is outstanding. Extra mag has the pinky finger holder for greater ease of loading a fresh mag the right way under stress. I bought a Smith ad Wesson airweight .38 special +P+ for a back up gun in the winter months for the front pocket of my Carhardt.

MosinM38

Not a bad looking holster. I will probably get a thumbstrap on one I get though, as I will probably double the concealed holster (if possible) for while I am working.

I also debated for awhile (Considering I would have 13 rounds. 12+1) on whether or not to carry a second mag, but I probably will....Just in case...:D

ZeSpectre

I also debated for awhile (Considering I would have 13 rounds. 12+1) on whether or not to carry a second mag, but I probably will....Just in case

It's surprising how much balance a spare mag can add to your belt.

MLeake

spare mag with a high capacity pistol

Remember, it isn't only for a higher round count; it's also there in case your primary mag fails. Clearing stoppages may result in need for a mag change.

MosinM38

That is one thing I never thought about.

Never had a problem with any Sig magazines so I didn't think on it.....Mistake ;)