Sig concealment options.

MosinM38

Okay.

I got my CWP, and now I am looking for a mainly CCW gun, but also just a small compact gun to carry with me (Not concealed) when I am working.

I own a few differant firearms, 1911 .45, Sig226 in 357/40 and a Browning HP 9mm.

Well, I got a Bianchi 6ATB IWB holster for my 1911 because it looked decent, and with it being cheap I figured it was a good way to check IWB holsters. Well, I ended up loving the holster. Carried my 1911 2 weeks doing NORMAL work, so it will definately work for CCW.

Well, I like my 1911, but even so, I really don't want it for Concealed Carry, as even though I know it's safe, I hate carrying cocked and locked. (I did try out a "Normal" set of clothing and I asked a couple family members, and it did "Hide" well.

Well, I am a huge Sig fan, I got my 226 .40 and a .357 barrel for it, and love them both. Natural pointing, light recoil, and just great guns.

Only thing, It is a little big for Concealed Carry. Although I ain't got a GOOD holster for it yet, it seemed a little big/bulky when I just sorta compared it when I stuck it in my waistband for "Feel".

Onto my question: I am sorta thinking of getting another Sig better suited to CC. I have it narrowed down to the below, with the questions about them:

Sig 229: Are they really any advantage over the 226? I mean would it be noticabely easier to conceal? I looked and they are heavier, and not alot shorter, only 1/2" less barrel and a marginally shorter grip.

Sig 225: They looked like good guns, and from the feel (Sadly I left my 226 at home, so no comparison) it felt alot thinner than the 226/9. If so, how much thinner? By feel, It sorta struck me as closer to a 1911 than a double-stack Sig.

Sig239: Another single-stack Sig. Any real improvement over the 225? I am planning on maybe a 9MM regardless, so it being available in .40,etc. isn't real important.

Sig228: Since I am looking for a 9MM, I hear it is a better choice than the 229, but the same questions hold for it, as the 229.

Thanks for the help :D I had to ask, as none of the local gunshops have any Sig's in stock, and I only got to handle the 229 and 225 at a gunshow awhile back for a few minutes.

P.S. What is a good "Tuckable" IWB holster? I sorta looked, and couldn't really find much for reviews on them.

Thanks again!!

Wiskey_33

I wear a P229 all day in a Milt Sparks VM2 with a Wilderness Tactical belt. Works just fine for me, although I wear jeans and a untucked t-shirt to work.

CortJestir

In the spring and fall, I carry a P239 9mm in a Crossbreed SuperTuck Deluxe (tuckable leather/kydex IWB holster). It's a very concealable and capable firearm. For me, the P229 is too thick for concealment, as is the P228. I have a P225 (a German police trade-in) but choose not to carry it as it is my range/beater gun and I have not run any JHP rounds through it yet. However, I can see being able to carry it if I needed to.

MosinM38

I also wear jeans, although I usually wear a tucked shirt and a light jacket.

So, a happy user each with the 229 and 239 :)

I wish I could find a 239 to handle, but it shouldn't matter. I've held the .45,220 the .40,226 and the 225 and 229, and ALL have felt good so it shouldn't be any differant.

The 225 is sorta looking good to me, although prices have skyrocketed in the last 2-3 months.

ZeSpectre

Sig 229: Are they really any advantage over the 226? I mean would it be noticabely easier to conceal? I looked and they are heavier, and not alot shorter, only 1/2" less barrel and a marginally shorter grip.
My preferred carry is the P229 and I've discovered that a slightly shorter grip makes a HUGE difference in concealability (at least it does for me).

Additionally a 1.5" double layer bullhide belt from "The Beltman" combined with some good Don Hume leather turned my 229 from an uncomfortable anchor to something I almost forget about on occasion.

Last edited:

Wiskey_33

People often spend too much on a pistol, and don't leave any money for a good holster and belt.

This will make/break you. Carrying a "heavy" firearm isn't an issue when you've got good leather.

MosinM38

The weight wasn't what bothered me so much as size, the 226 is extremely thick and high. Seeing as how I don't really like overly loose clothes, thin, and/or short guns like the 1911 are sorta nice.

As for the 229: Well that's a plus, I couldn't tell if the grip was that much shorter, I'll hopefully be making a trip sometime soon (150 miles) and I can compare a 229 and 226 side by side.

As for leather though: I plan on putting aside a $150 for a good IWB holster before I buy the gun. I am getting a OWB one for my 226, and I am going to make it a snug/flat one to make it easier to conceal if I want to.

MLeake

Sig CCW

From carrying three different Sigs, I have the following observations:

Note1: I usually do the 360 twirl for my lady before we go out, and she tells me if she can tell or not. I adjust weapons or clothing accordingly.

Note2: I'm 6ft, 220 - should be more around 205, muscular, but carrying some extra pounds. Can't decide if that helps or hinders on concealability...

Note3: The P220 is older, WGerman made. The P229 and P239 are both recent SAS models.

1) Sig P239 is not much smaller than P229, but it conceals much more easily. It has just enough less length, width, and height to make a big overall difference.

2) P229 does not offer much advantage at all over P220. Either one needs IWB to conceal well with most of my shirts or sweaters; carried OWB, either grip will print. The P220 is just enough thinner that it's slightly more comfortable IWB, even if it is a bit longer.

3) Shirt fabric matters. Nothing remotely clingy with the P220 or P229. Structured fabrics work better. The P229 is more forgiving, but still...

4) All conceal no problem under most jackets.

AK103K

The only SIG's that are truly smaller are the P230/232, and the new P238. Everything else is very similar in size, and I doubt you'd really notice any difference between them when carrying them.

The larger SIG's (P220/226) are in the 1911 Commander range size wise, and really are not all that big. For some reason, they just "look" bigger than they really are. Put whatever you shoot best in a good holster, dress reasonably, and you'll have no troubles comfortably keeping it out of sight.

Dust Monkey

Sig 228. I own 2, both West German marked. One blued the other nickle slide blue lower. The best of the sig line, IMO. I hear the new 228s have a rail, which is useless IMO on a carry gun. The 228 is easy to carry all day, east to maintain and dead on accurate and reliable.

You won't regret it.

kristop64089

I can't stress it enough, buy a gunbelt!

You can carry a DE, if you have a decent Belt(and holster, but the holster is useless without a good belt). You want to be able to support, and distribute the weight evenly. A full sixe 1911 is Larger, and heavier than a 226, and the are carried concealed, quite often.

comn-cents

MLeake is right on. I carry all three of those off and on and I feel the 239 conseals the best, but for me the 220 is right up there. It may be bigger but it balances very well, plus I like the size of the 220 better.
All are good choices. I carry them in a "summer special" holster. Good luck

armsmaster270

Size Comparison Sig 226 .357Sig and S&W Jframe 340PD
Besides the good belt a pair of suspenders does wonders.

dec08-feb09130.jpg

MosinM38

Hey, Thanks for all the comments!

A huge help :)

I guess from what I was able to compare by just sticking it in my waistband (The holster I ordered for the 226 hasn't arrived yet), the 226 seemed far more bulky than my 1911.

I am thinking that maybe with a holster it will be better however.

So far, everything looks good!!! I think I'll try and...curb my eh....anxiety ;) to get another gun, and wait until I can check a few of them out. If I ever get the time, there's a gun store I haven't been to that probably will have examples, if it is anything like I hear it was.

I will probably keep an eye out for a 239 if I can find one.

Actually my biggest problem is ammunition at the moment. I am using Fiocchi XTP's in my .45 and .40 and 9mm, but my .357 Sig I am using Winchester USA generic HPs. I don't know how they work, but it's what I got ;)

I am awaiting the holster for my 226 and I will see how it fits before I go any further into looking for new guns. I may end up using it for awhile (I usually have the .357 barrel on).

Again, thanks a LOT for all the replies. They have been a big help.

AK103K

The P226 is only slightly wider than a 1911. I really dont think you'd notice the difference wearing either. I carried a Commander or Government Model most of my life, and the switch to the P220 first, and then P226 and P229 was seamless. As I said earlier, they are all basically Commander sized guns.

I have a P239 too, and it doesnt get out much these days. The difference between it and my P229 is pretty much insignificant, and the P229 carries more ammo.

For ammo in your 357SIG, check out Double Tap. They run a little hotter than most of the other brands, and will drive a 125 grain HP at 1450+ from your P226.

http://www.doubletapammo.com/php/catalog/index.php?cPath=21_32

IMTHDUKE

I got this one thinking of CC, however, with the wood grips, it's a fat boy....I love the SAS....and it fires all day long. For CC, I would go with plain grips.
1126252620996518348849.share.jpg

MosinM38

Hey thanks for the link!

I been wanting some Double Tap ammo, but the places I checked were out.

It never dawned on me to check the company website!! Hmmm...now what...115 grain, 125 grain or 147 grain.....

As for being bigger: It must just be slightly un-used to it. I'll give it awhile once the holster arrives and I'll probably never notice it.

P.S.. Psst. Really just an excuse to buy a new toy... er...investment....er...a necessary gun!!!

AK103K

You have to give it a good try, especially if your wearing your gun IWB. It takes a little while for your body to get used to it, and finding your sweet spot. Its well worth the little bit of effort.

I use the 125 grain Double Taps and have been very happy with them.