sig 228

Walther P99

With the proper wardrobe

Does that mean jacket/sweater or just large T-shirt? I can handle the T-shirt part, but here in San Antonio, jackets and sweaters are pretty much out of the question with it being over 90 much of the year. :)

cookhj

i've carried a 228 for 2 years now in a galco IWB and sometimes it's a challenge, but it's accurate and i love it, so i just deal with it.

boing

What cook said. If the 228 is the bees knees for you, then you'll find a way to conceal it. I've been able to conceal my 228, G19, full size steel 1911, but it was a pain in hot weather. I've tried fanny packs, and don't care for them.

Also, I understand that printing is rather more frowned upon in TX than it is here in NC, so your standard of what counts as "adequately concealed" may be more stringent than mine.

I've gone to a smaller gun.

BTW- While the 228 grip is double-stack, it has a pretty rounded profile that helps it hide under an un-tucked shirt.

boing

Is your P99 unsuitable for your CCW needs?

(If you're trying to justify buying a new gun, just say "Yes.") :D

Walther P99

Yes - I like my P99 but I want something more powerful than 9mm. After doing a little research (will do more when ready to buy), I think .40 may be the answer, .45 would have too much recoil for a compact plus mag capacity drops quite a bit. Other rounds like 10mm & .38 Super (at least the Winchester load is stronger than 9mm) aren't available in many guns and I'm not too sure about recoil with these rounds as I have relatively weak wrists/hands.

Right now I carry the P99 in a fanny pack which I don't particularly care for. It has its ups and downs but I think it's too conspicuous - not printing but I think it draws attention to the pack itself - and it too can be uncomfortable in the heat. As far as printing, TX is pretty strict in that no one can see that you're carrying a gun, so I'd need some large shirts and/or some nifty holsters.

Instead of getting an IWB holster for the P99, I'd rather wait until I get the new compact and get a holster for that. I'm looking at several models/manufacturers but, as I have to pay some bills off(and convince my wife and most likely buy some jewelry for her :rolleyes: ), it'll be next year for sure before I can get anything.

boing

Well, the 228 is 9mm only. It's the 229 that's chambered in .40 and .357 (but the same size).

As for recoil, I've only shot the .40 a couple of times, and recoil didn't seem too bad in a 229 (and maybe a G23? can't remember), but in hot defense loads my impression is that the snap of the .40 is harder for most people to deal with than the push of the .45.

Walther P99

Well, the 228 is 9mm only. It's the 229 that's chambered in .40 and .357 (but the same size).

A P229 would be fine, too. :)

Also, I plan on renting as many guns as I can to see how much they recoil with each caliber. It may turn out that .45 is better than .40 for me; if so, then I'll be looking at a P245 :D:. I have fired my father's Colt 1911 Enhanced and it was actually pleasant to shoot - although it is a heavier gun.

9mm Parabellum

I never had any problems carrying my P99 nor my P228 (sometimes P245) and I'm only 5'6" tall and 155lbs. :cool:

IMHO, I think everything depends on the type of holster you use. Once you find the right holster, one that fits you well, concealment will not be an issue. ;)

Mike

Prodigalshooter

AAChang, hello. I recently bought a Sig 239 from the fellow I'm referring you to, he's a good guy. I know he has a couple of other Sigs, just don't know which models, but he can get you just about anything. His prices have been consistently lower for the 3 pistols I have purchased from him. I also work with a guy who has bought a lot from him.
John Timoney
1136 Broadway ste.6
El Cajon
619-441-9091
He does this as a second job, so call after 4:30pm on weekdays
till 7:00pm
On weekends he's there 10 am to 4 pm.
On my Springfield and my Sig, he beat local shops by $75 to $100