sig 228

meat

Anyone here use a Sig 228 for CCW? I was just wondering how it conceals. The width seems to be a little much (1.5 in.). Just wondering if anyone has info on this topic.

rick_reno

I used to carry one - I believe the holster was a Milt Sparks IWB. I've still got the holster (and gun around here somewhere - if I can find the holster I'll make sure that's what it was. It concealed very well. Nice gun with the high capacity mags. I've switched to a 45 acp and no longer use 9mm.

Ala Dan

Member in memoriam
I have used the Sig P228 for CCW on several occassions;
using the "Mexican" style, while dressed in blue-jeans and
a t-shirt. Works really well with a pull over sweat shirt, or
light jacket. With the light jacket it makes for an extremely
fast presentation. Just don't get in a tussel and loose your
weapon!:eek: :D :cool: :)

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member

nemesis

I've been carrying a new Sig P-225 for the past week and find concealing it a challenge. I believe the single stack 225 is a little slimmer than the 228 but I still find the butt far too big and prominent.

Much of this is due to the grips which are far thicker than they have any need to be. I've ordered a set of Pachmayr Signatures but don't yet know if they're any thinner. I like this Sig and my other Sigs but its a lot bigger pistol than my Officers Model and needs a holster which tucks it in real tight.

AAChang

BTW anyone know where I can get a Sig 228 around these parts in San Diego, They are becoming very hard to find

AlexGRT

AAChang, have you tried Southern California Gun? They have a pretty large selection. They now have two stores. One is in Clairemont and the other I believe is in El Cajon. Good luck in finding one. Hope to be back home in America's finest city soon!

pogo2

AAChang: They had a new Sig P228 for sale at the former Oceanside Shooting Academy (now called Iron Sight) in Oceanside, CA. This was a week or two ago.

CRUSHER

I`ve carried sig 228 for 6 years and love it
I use a Wild Bill holster,Im 6ft 6in and near 300 lbs
So it carries well for me.
It has always shot extremely well
I carry 115 gr Cor-Bons

CAP1

P228

I can only comfortably cc mine in cooler/colder weather with shirt, coat or outer garmet as cover. I'm not quite as big as you so the conceal part is of concern. Even though we have open carry in N.C., I don't carry that way very often. I also use a Wild Bill's tuckable, or Galco Royal Guard as holster when ccw my 228.
Fine weapon.
Police trade-ins are available around here - ~400+-. NIB they are hard to find. I'm still kicking myself for not picking up a 2nd p228 for $569 at the gun show a few weeks back. :(
CAP

Greetings:
My wife gave me a P229 in .357sig for xmas this past year. I carry it daily in either a Comp-Tac Undercover IWB or in a Galati fannypack worn strong-side. Never a problem or concern. Besides, folks who know me know about my 'purse' and what's in there. Those who don't know me and look askance at me don't look for long.

Most of the time, when I can be non-reg, I wear my shirt-tail out and use the Comp-Tac.

http://www.comp-tac.com

Regards,
Rabbit

The supreme excellence is not to win a hundred victories in a hundred battles. The supreme excellence is to subdue the armies of your enemies without having to fight them. - Sun Tzu, The Art of War. c.400-320 b.c.

AAChang

Thanks guys, I checked So Cal Gun in Clairemont this week and they didn't have one, and I'm going to Ironsights on Tuesday

Col. Mustard

My P228 is my normal carry gun. When I can wear something over it (jacket, vest) I carry it in a Galco Concealable slide. I've also got an IWB for use with an untucked shirt. When all else fails, I stick it into a fanny pack. And if that won't work for some reason, I downsize to the P232.

Tamara

Moderator Emeritus
Now that winter OWB season is here again, my P-228 sometimes rides my right hip in a Bianchi #4 Askins Avenger.

Walther P99

OK, I'll get a little more specific:

Does anyone who's on the smaller side, say, around 5' 9", and 165lbs or so, CCW a P228? I like the P228 firepower but don't know if the double-stack, wider grip would conceal well.

spleenandideal

I'm only 5'6" and carry the P228 from time to time. With the proper wardrobe the butt conceals fairly well, but not as good as I like. The 225 conceals better, however for the same firepower I choose the Kahr series instead.