Sig 220 pros/cons

Mark54g

Sig 220, Good 1911s and possibly the CZ 97 are about the tops in "production" 45s out there

Edit to add that for some of the 1911s and CZ 97, a trip to a competent smith (or in CZ's case, the CZ-USA site) to smooth out the trigger, polish it up and make it run perfectly with JHP ammo might be worthwhile. I plan on making my next gun a 97 or 1911

18DAI

Thanks for all the responses. I will be picking up the P220 after payday. I'll post a range report down the road. Regards 18DAI.

clu

Unless the gun is damaged along the slide rails the slide to frame fit is not an issue. The locking up of the barrel to the slide is what makes a gun accurate. The importance of a slide being super tight is way over rated according to alot of the gunsmioths I've talked to. Lock up of the barrel especially at the front is the key to a good shooting weapon.

This is my feeling also, mechanical accuracy has more to do with consistent barrel alignment than how tight the slide to frame fit is. Testing in a Ransom rest is the best way to test mechanical accuracy, slide to frame fit will affect the consistency of sight alignment, but almost never enough to make a practical difference. I have shot many straight blow back style autos with fixed barrels and slides that were as loose as a goose and all were above average in the accuracy department both in and out of a mechanical rest.

hknut

As to the finish, I take my 220 out snowshoeing on my hip in a flap holster exposed to the elements, even on overnight trips, no real problems. When you get back clean and lightly oil.

44 AMP

Staff
Browning BDA .45

My "sig 220" is the Browning BDA. Bought new in 1980. Outstanding gun. Handles lighter and heavier loads than my 1911s. Only dislike, the heel type mag release. Only place I ever felt at a disadvantage was playing combat pistol style games. Got other guns for that. Kept the BDA. I would have no qualms about buying and using a new Sig 220, if I ever needed to replace the BDA.