Side charging AR

stagpanther

Damage as bad as this photo is uncommon. Don't mix up your ammo.
But you'll note that even the banana-peeled receiver still served as a form of initial blast shield for the shooter's face.
A slot here likely would have resulted in more small debris and notable amounts of gas directed right into the shooter.
Thanks for that, not to belittle the seriousness of the subject--but the comment on the link "I like to store different rounds in the same magazine, that way I know whatever gun I grab, I'll have some ammo for it!" sure gave me a chuckle.:)

Scorch

Man! You guys go off on tangents!

Side handle ARs are popular with match shooters because they don't want to move their head once they're locked in. Yes, there are a few side-handle ARs marketed to the tacticool guys, too, but they don't get much love. The high cost and non-standard features of side-handle ARs is a non-starter for me.
Left side reciprocating is what I'm leaning towards
Why? Don't like your fingers? Need a new nose job?
Solution to a non existent problem.
It's different. But yeah, pretty much a solution looking for a problem.

Scorch

You can see this AR has a handle on the left side of the receiver to replace the traditional charging handle.
sch-007.jpg

Last edited:
Requires a mill cut into the side of the receiver. That can lead to the admission of more dust/dirt/mud. As a southpaw, I'd do it on the ejection port side. For a right hander, I think there are uppers that have that feature (and they may even have a cover).

TRX

A couple of years I bought my first AR, a PSA kit. At the time they had side charging uppers for about the same price as the regular.

I really wish I had gone with the side charger now; I've barked my knuckles on the scope enough to hate that T-handle.

There are scopes with more eye relief that would reduce the problem, but I've already spent more on glass than I wanted. None it it would have been an issue with a side charger.

Radny97

A couple of years I bought my first AR, a PSA kit. At the time they had side charging uppers for about the same price as the regular.

I really wish I had gone with the side charger now; I've barked my knuckles on the scope enough to hate that T-handle.

There are scopes with more eye relief that would reduce the problem, but I've already spent more on glass than I wanted. None it it would have been an issue with a side charger.

Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scoobysnacker

I just picked up a x39 upper from BCA, and the side-chargers were $5 less than the traditional rear chargers.
After a moment's consideration (hey, we don't get much more than a moment to consider things right now!), I stuck with the rear, simply to keep the takedown and cleaning routine identical.

imashooter

I have one AR with a conventional scope. It's mated to a cantilevered-mount to negate that problem.