Side charging AR

tangolima

Different from tradition, but seems interesting. Any experience? Your inputs are much appreciated.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

FrankenMauser

I have run a "MEGA" side-charging upper in three different configurations, with four different barrels - .458 SOCOM, 6x45mm(x2), and .17-223.
I use a YM National Match side-charger bolt carrier.

Works well, but that MEGA upper is heavy - too heavy for the original applications. The current disposition, as the base for the .17-223, is the best application so far. That entire upper is stupid heavy. The barrel, the free float tube, the upper. It is a boat anchor. But the .17-223 is meant to be a boat anchor of a varmint rig. So, it fits.

Side charging is nice for prone shooting, and being able to cycle the bolt without breaking cheek weld.

But if I were to buy a side-charger again, I would probably go for left-side, folding, non-reciprocating, like the Apache Rifle Works upper. (Though, there seems to be some drama with Apache now, and they may not even be in business any more.)

The Spartan style might be an acceptable alternative. But I'd prefer the folding charging handle.

Left side charging allows a right handed shooter to keep the right arm in place for support while prone, which I find more beneficial than keeping the left arm in place. ...Especially since I use a bipod for most prone shooting. Not everyone does. But I do.

tangolima

Left side reciprocating is what I'm leaning towards. It does without the forward assist. Nothing wrong, except that the brass is coming out from the left side. Any issues there?

-TL

Last edited:

44caliberkid

I have one of the Stoner AR side charging uppers from Midway. Bought it on sale around Christmas a few years ago, for $179, heck, a BCG costs that, how could I go wrong. It's a nice upper, shoots good, The engineering is a little simple, but it works.

tangolima

$179 is a deal for any upper.

Most side charging uppers I have seen are right sided. True it makes charging a bit easier with optics. I don't really see anything new there.

However the idea of left side charging is more interesting. Hot brass coming out from the left is a bit concerning though. One may end up in the crook of the elbow of the left hand when firing off hand. There are left side charger with right ejection port. But they are expensive.

Another point of debate is the lack of dust cover, which I don't mind at all.

-TL

FrankenMauser

I have one of the Stoner AR side charging uppers from Midway. Bought it on sale around Christmas a few years ago, for $179, heck, a BCG costs that, how could I go wrong. It's a nice upper, shoots good, The engineering is a little simple, but it works.
That's the LAR Grizzly style - same as what has been called the "MEGA" by several other companies.
As long as they get the dimensions right, there's nothing wrong with them except a little extra weight.

Whoever it was that I bought my MEGA SBU side charger from in 2014 was, at the time, known for machining the barrel extension boss on the tight side, intentionally. So, you had to heat the upper and freeze the barrel, to get a really nice (minor) interference fit.
I haven't seen any mention of such since other people started churning out the same style upper, though.

Radny97

Gibbz Arms makes them. I have one with a second on the way. Side charging non-reciprocating on the left. Case ejection still on the right. Frankly, it’s really the way the AR should have been designed from the start. Rear charging handles are not very ergonomic and at this point they’re antiquated in my opinion. Anyway, i love mine so much i don’t think I’ll ever buy another rear charging AR again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imashooter

I have a Gibbz set up for a lefty. Great gun. They should have all come with that design (side-charger). Though I'm not real fond of removing the BCG handle in order to remove the bcg. And the Gibbz uses a proprietary cam pin. Saw an online video once where someone modified a conventional pin to replace the costly Gibbz version but have never found it since.

Last edited:

tangolima

Nah. A normal upper with ambi charging handle would more or less do the same thing, wouldn't it?

-TL

FrankenMauser

Frankly, it’s really the way the AR should have been designed from the start.
The standard AR configuration offers better protection for the shooter, in the event of a kaboom. No open slots on the sides of the receiver, which both strengthens it and offers gas mitigation.

Nah. A normal upper with ambi charging handle would more or less do the same thing, wouldn't it?
Then you still have to move your face to charge it.
With the side-chargers, you can maintain a cheek weld - and make some other improvements/changes to the manual of arms.

HWS

2nd on Solution to a non existent problem.

You charge up before shooting and clear after done. That's twice. I am reminded of Dr. Porsche's comments about why his cars have such a low first gear. He said, so what, you only use it once a race.

Radny97

The standard AR configuration offers better protection for the shooter, in the event of a kaboom. No open slots on the sides of the receiver, which both strengthens it and offers gas mitigation.

Not sure that’s true. Maybe for an OOB. But the barrel chamber is the same for a over charge when it’s fully in battery. But since the AR has an aluminum upper receiver, the receiver is not intended to really have any significant strength anyway. Certainly not enough to contain a kaboom of any kind. The strength is in the chamber and BCG lock up.

Also the Gibbz side charge design has more gas mitigation than any rear charging AR. Can’t speak for all side chargers though. Some may be better, some may be worse.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stagpanther

Not sure that’s true. Maybe for an OOB. But the barrel chamber is the same for a over charge when it’s fully in battery. But since the AR has an aluminum upper receiver, the receiver is not intended to really have any significant strength anyway. Certainly not enough to contain a kaboom of any kind. The strength is in the chamber and BCG lock up.
Having personally blown up several AR's due to various reasons, what I've observed is that that when overpressure occurs it follows a path mostly down the bolt extractor and ejector holes into the carrier (the bolt is locked to the extension) which generally directs the blast downward through the 'path of least resistance" out the magazine well (blowing the magazine up). Excessive pressure can also distort the upper receiver and cause the carrier to fracture. Haven't had a receiver actually blow apart, I suppose it could happen if you tried hard enough with a combination of the wrong charge (which is what I did in one kaboom) and perhaps an obstruction in the bore.

imashooter

2nd on Solution to a non existent problem.

You charge up before shooting and clear after done. That's twice. I am reminded of Dr. Porsche's comments about why his cars have such a low first gear. He said, so what, you only use it once a race.
Only on a range perhaps.

tangolima

Thank you guys. I'm going to let this idea sit for now. I will consider a side charger when I need a upper next. Won't go buy an upper just because of the sider charging feature. The Gibbz setup is indeed the best, but also expensive and needing proprietary part.

-TL

imashooter

Thank you guys. I'm going to let this idea sit for now. I will consider a side charger when I need a upper next. Won't go buy an upper just because of the sider charging feature. The Gibbz setup is indeed the best, but also expensive and needing proprietary part.

-TL

Additionally, if a non-Gibbz handguard with tabs is used, the tabs need to be removed due to the robust size of the Gibbz rcvr. No biggie but needs to be considered.

FrankenMauser

I didn't say it would *contain* a kaboom. I said a receiver without slots in the side is strengthened and offers better gas mitigation.
It offers more protection to the shooter, not "full" protection.

The #1 cause of injury during kabooms and OOBs is gas and small debris. With an open slot on the side of the receiver, there is essentially a direct path to a right-handed shooter's face.
Close that slot, and the gas has to go elsewhere unless the upper grenades.

And, yes, we are all aware that there are varying degrees of "kaboom". From "Oh crap, a primer blew and the case is stuck in the chamber." To, "Nyet, rifle is grenade now."

Damage as bad as this photo is uncommon. Don't mix up your ammo.
But you'll note that even the banana-peeled receiver still served as a form of initial blast shield for the shooter's face.
A slot here likely would have resulted in more small debris and notable amounts of gas directed right into the shooter.

tangolima

I see your point Franken. That may be why almost all side charging auto loaders, AR or not, have opening slot, for ejection or whatnot, on the shooting hand side, away from the shooter's face. I will stay with that principle when / if I look for a side charging upper. Thanks.

-TL