Shoulder bulge

condor bravo

HankC1:
Not sure I am following your post. The bulge occurs on the case body right below the shoulder, not on the shoulder or the neck. And if the bulge is anywhere near excessive, the round will not chamber. This happens when excessive crimp is applied that results in the shoulder being forced downward which then results in the case bulge immediately below the shoulder since the case is not supported inside the seating die at that location. But perhaps your post pertains mainly to bullet hold and I just didn't follow.

HankC1

I was referring to bullet hold comment in F. Guffey's posts #3 and #20. He is very knowledgeable and I have no doubt what he says, just like some clarification.

Both can happen. If a crimp turns a case mouth into too hard a turn, it can lift the neck brass just below the crimp away from the bullet. Redding developed their profile crimp dies for straight wall cartridges to address this. They allow a harder crimp without reducing bullet pull.

The above problem assumes you do not crimp beyond the limits of the brass below the bullet to withstand the crimping force. If you crimp until the case mouth is as hard against the bullet as it can go and the bullet doesn't have enough give to handle the excess squeeze, then the brass will buckle below the neck in the form of a bulge.

condor bravo

Yes I think what he is referring to is that crimping can cause the case neck to be pushed out slightly from the bullet, thereby reducing bullet hold. There can be merit in that.

F. Guffey

Bottle neck cases:

And someone has to repeat what Dillon said, crimping and seating at the same time can be a bad habit. BECAUSE the bullet is moving down when seated and the case mouth of the case is biting into the bullet. Once the case mouth grabs the bullet the reloader must stop pushing the bullet. If the reloader continues to seat the bullet once the crimp is set the case bells below the crimp and the case body juncture starts to crush/buckle/bulge.

I have turned cases into accordions or cases that had a bellows for different reasons. One day I made a seater, I can not say seating die because the seater did not have a body.

A reloader must trim all cases to the same length before crimping.

F. Guffey

F. Guffey

Yes I think what he is referring to is that crimping can cause the case neck to be pushed out slightly from the bullet,

I do not use neck tension because I can not measure neck tension. When it comes to bullet hold I want all the bullet hold I can get, expanding the neck below the crimp reduces bullet hold.

There can be merit in that.

Before Dillon they said crimping bottle neck cases can be a bad habit and they said nothing about the merit to crimping bottle neck cases. AND it should not be assumed the neck is sealed around the bullet after crimping.

I have pulled down 500+ cases in the last year, many of the cases had bad powder? Who knows? The cases were loaded in 1971 and '72.

F. Guffey