Should you carry your pistol at home?

kraigwy

I'm worried about kids (friends of my grandkids who I don't really know) getting a hold of my guns. The safest place for them in my gun safes.

Home invasions happen at homes.

It takes about 3-5 seconds to kick through a LOCKED door.

I live in a rural area, police response, at best would be 30-45 minutes, depending on what part of the country the sheriff is in at the time he's called.

Old people (which I happen to me) normally have a medicine cabinet full of pills of one sort or other and are prime targets for people who cant afford or find meth.

So yeah, I carry at home. It would take me more then 3-5 seconds to get off the couch and into my safes.

It takes about 1/2 second to get my gun out of my pocket.

Chances are slim to none that a kid could pick my pocket and get my gun without me knowing.

If the gun is in my pocket, I never worry about leaving the house without my gun.

I have 4 mid size dogs who would welcome any person, friend or not, into the house. That is if they woke up at all. My granddaughter and her friend came in about two one night, sneaking in trying not to wake us. I woke up, neither of the dogs did.

More then once, I've stepped off the porch finding a rattler under the steps. Rattlers and grandkids don't play well together. My wife, who also carries killed one about 12 feet from the front door while mowing the lawn.

Living in Wyoming I never fear forgetting to take the gun out of my pocket when I go to town, like some say would be a problem in some states.

I'm probable safer in town where everyone else carries then I am at home.

FAS1

I do always carry a P3AT in my pocket around the house or anywhere else I go. It is discrete and never in the way of anything I am doing.

My normal CCW is a G26 when out and I keep a G17 in my handgun safe that is bolted to my bed frame.

The way I see it is that the .380 would be sufficient in any close encounter I might have and at night when sleeping my G17 is right there when I am most vulnerable and would most likely need a gun. I am not a proponent of hidden guns or unsecured guns laying around the house. I also always have a pretty good size Spyderco (C07) clipped to my waistband. ;)

TailGator

May I point out a strategic problem? Paraphrasing your first post, your pistol and your shotgun are both in the same closet, but your plan is to use your pistol to fight your way to your shotgun. It would seem that your handgun would have no purpose in this plan. That, in a nutshell, is why it would benefit you to keep your handgun more accessible.

You can train and practice, and there are devices to secure your handgun against children more effectively than you seem to do now, and there is no reason that you can't and shouldn't put your pistol in a more secure place before you pick up a drink, and a certain presence of mind needs to be maintained when you are armed that will keep you from leaving the house with the pistol.

lefteye

TailGator beat me. If the primary purpose of your pistol is to get to your shotgun, your pistol should not be kept in the same closet as your shotgun. Your pistol should be kept closer to where you are most of the time and perhaps in your pocket or a holster on your belt.

buckhorn_cortez

There's a world of difference between security and self defense. My house is secure, and because of where I live, and the physical security measures I've taken, I never carry at home.

Carrying a gun may make you feel secure, but that's not security that's a reactive self-defense measure because your basic level of security is inadequate.

Good home security involves more than alarm systems and more than simply carrying a gun. It involves layered physical security measures as well as security sensors and an alarm system.

At my house - you can't get to a door unless I allow it, or you spend a number of minutes attempting to climb over fences and walls to get to the door. The same goes for windows. You can't get to a window unless I allow you into the inner secure area, or you spend time climbing over physical barriers.

If you don't look like an easy target, you're halfway there as criminals are opportunists, and not really dedicated to working hard - that's one of the reasons they prefer crime over a job.

So, while you're patting yourself on the back for carrying your gun all of the time because it makes you feel secure, you might want to start looking at WHY you're not secure without your gun.

Be proactive instead of reactive. Address security as a total solution and not simply carrying a gun at home all of the time.

Lee6113

To answer some of your questions, my pistol is a Glock 19. My shotgun is a Remington 870 HD model (desigend for home defense). I shoot them once a week at my local range for practice.

Do you have restricted capacity to 10 rounds?

If so, perhaps buying a lighter weight handgun that won't be cumbersome to carry around the house might work? My wife has a SIG p938 that holds 7+1 9mm and I could pocket carry it if I'm wearing a jacket. And I saw a dude yesterday open carrying it in a tiny little OWB holster and it was barely noticeable even open carrying.

Just a thought.

Good luck!

K_Mac

There is a world of difference in carrying a gun as part of your daily routine, and living in a walled compound. I think perimeter security is fine for those who choose it. I do not. Carrying a gun is my compromise. To each his own.

briandg

I don't feel a need to carry in the home. I have a .357 eight feet away on a shelf. rifle, shotgun in closets, pistols in all bedrooms, in basement. The only places that I don't have almost instant access to weapons is in my kitchen or the half bath off of the kitchen.

Sure, I should carry at all times, it is the rational thing to do if I would follow the logic that there is absolutely no telling when the lightning will strike. Sometimes I do keep a pistol in my pocket all of the time, not always.

My home is a tactical weirdness. As long as I can make it to basement or second floor, the only way anyone can hurt us is to burn the place down. Both stairways are covered absolutely and perfectly, leaving me protected and the intruder exposed completely for several seconds before reaching a dangerous position.

Weigh your vulnerabilities in every place in the house, keep a weapon handy if possible. as was said, though, the safest place to keep a gun is right there in a holster on your body, UNLESS right there on your body is going to be a bad idea at the time.

FireForged

I think the whole issue of using a handgun to fight your way to another weapon is a poor plan. If you don't want to fight with a pistol, don't.. we are talking about HD were size and weight is generally a non-issue. Realistically speaking, armed conflicts are over rather quickly (seconds)and what you start out with is probably what you will end it with. The whole idea of fighting to your long gun is an idiom, I don't think it is intended to be taken literally. It simply fosters the general idea that a long gun is superior to a hand gun. My primary HD weapon is a full size 6 shot revolver.. I am fine with that.

When home I always have a gun either on me or within arms reach. When I am gone my wife has a gun within arms reach all the time.

We live at the edge of a small rural village with a county park within a 1/4 mile of our house. I have had people get stuck in the park, or have car trouble and come to my house at all hours of the day and night. The park used to have a reputation as a drinking and drugging party place. Have I had a bad experience so far? Nope, but better prepared and never have to act than have to act and not be prepared.

marines6433

I carry everywhere. OP, sorry about your luck in California...won't be long and they will be taking your guns.

The only time I don't carry on my person at home, is when I am in my "night" clothes. I keep my carry gun right beside me none the less. Years ago when the kids were smaller, I did not do this, but don't have to worry about this now.

P5 Guy

I Live Alone

My G34 is by my side. When I go about the house I carry it with me, I do not wear it just bring it where I am.

Darkstar888

My Walther P99c QA and backup mag are in my waistband every moment I'm awake. And my Mossberg 590A1 is within reach of my bed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snyper

I don't carry at home.
If I had to carry at home I would move.
The problem there is you're mistakenly assuming one place is safer than another.

It doesn't much matter where you live, unless you have 24 hour security guards, a deadly threat can present itself at a moments notice.

FITASC

The problem there is you're mistakenly assuming one place is safer than another.

It doesn't much matter where you live, unless you have 24 hour security guards, a deadly threat can present itself at a moments notice.

While true, one must take into account where you live as regards the chance that a horde of armed invaders will be breaking down your door. Where I live, the odds are extremely low; on another side or town miles away, the odds are a little greater. Now, if I lived in a major urban area with high crime rates, I would have a different view, along with a big dog.

Glenn E. Meyer

All the folks who are running to their guns scattered all over the house, need to time their response to a break-in vs. the entry speed. You will be surprised how you don't get there.

Also, for the nice area folks - just say Petit family murders.

Last using your handgun to fight to your rifle - that's a nice gun world cliche. I had a guy tell me that he would fire in a spray and pray all his shots from a 9mm to get to his AR.

So, that tells me you can't shoot and you don't understand that you are responsible for your rounds.

Learn how to shoot your handgun. Yes, you can shoot well as you go to your safe room for the cannons but try to hit with your initial shots.

Snyper

While true, one must take into account where you live as regards the chance that a horde of armed invaders will be breaking down your door. Where I live, the odds are extremely low; on another side or town miles away, the odds are a little greater. Now, if I lived in a major urban area with high crime rates, I would have a different view, along with a big dog.
The "odds" may be low, but things can still happen.
It's foolish to not be prepared.

The threat isn't always human invaders.
Assuming you are "safe" due to location is a fantasy.

shafter

There's nothing wrong with carrying around the house if your house hasn't been hardened sufficiently to give you time to reach your weapon. I feel safe enough in my house where I don't think that's necessary. Being prepared is never wrong.

I don't buy into the whole fight your way to your shotgun thing. When the front door crashes in you're going to engage and put the threat down right then and there. Not engage in a running gunfight to the gun safe. If you're in bed you'll grab whatever you leave handy for such an event.

michael t

I live in country 30 min for Sheriff would be quick . I am armed on my person from time I get up to go to bed. My house is a 100+ years old and my front door and what would be my back door are close together One into living room other into dining room . I am sitting at desk that looks toward front door and rear door is at my right maybe 6'.