Should you carry your pistol at home?

Kevin Rohrer

I have as much chance of having to defend myself from a home invader as I do from being stuck by lightning. Until I start wearing a lightning rod when outside the house, I will not bother with a gun inside the house.

Jimmy10mm

I don't carry in the shower, but there is one close by on the sink while I'm in the shower. I carry at home, and everywhere my CCW permit allows me to carry legally. An ounce of prevention, Ben Franklin said, is worth a pound of cure. :)

armoredman

I have as much chance of having to defend myself from a home invader as I do from being stuck by lightning.
I read Armed Citizen clippings of lawfully armed citizens defending themselves in their own home every month from invaders and thugs - why would you be different?

FireForged

I read Armed Citizen clippings of lawfully armed citizens defending themselves in their own home every month from invaders and thugs - why would you be different?

Its simply math.. are you really gauging the likelihood of home invasions based on a handful of documented incidents in a magazine? What is the statistical percentage vs 321 million people in the US?

Most people have lived their entire lives without being victim to a home invasion. I don't even think I have ever met or personally know of a person who has been victim to a home invasion. I agree that it doesn't mean it wont happen but it does support the spirit of what [Kevin] said.

Crime can happen just about anywhere and I certainly support the idea of being alert and being ready if it finds me. I simply have a different idea of what reasonably ready is inside my own home. I am simply not going to wear a gun inside my home but others do and that's just fine.

Glenn E. Meyer

I've been hit by lightning. I have a friend who survived a DC-8 crash in the woods that killed everyone in the front half of the plane.

At a class, the instructor said: It's as rare as being in a plane crash or being hit by lightning.

We both raised our ends.

The point being - that it's as rare as being hit by an asteroid (quote from a dinosaur).

So - this thread is going in cycles. If your new post is that you carry as you think there is a risk or you don't carry as as you think that is crazy at home - you aren't adding anything.

Let this die unless you have something new to say beyond your personal predilections or need to insult someone. That's a hint.

Brit

Glen,

Most posters do not have a grasp of reality here.

I just spent a month in C.A. looking to help with two Grand kids, one 3 one 4.

My Glock 19 sat at home. Said Glock I carry at home, and every time we go out, always. Talking about the rare chance of you needing your carry pistol, makes no sense, you carry because you can, I love Florida.

If you need it you have it. It is sitting on the bedside table, two yards away right now. I will be heading to bed as soon as I have finished here.

I have not shot any one in the US of A yet, but have drawn, pointed a handgun, more than once. My Glock feels like part of me, same gun, same place, always.

At the ripe old age of 81, am always with my Wife, or Grand Kids, they will be as safe as I can make them.

Feeling fearful? Carrying a pistol, why, you have a gun, right?

P5 Guy

What is the statistical percentage vs 321 million people in the US?

If four of that 321 million live together then there are 80 plus million front doors to break down. Did that change the statistical out look to you?

What is the statistical percentage vs 321 million people in the US?
The likelihood is low. The potential consequence, however, is very high indeed. I do not want to be the subject of someone's attempt to write a new variation of Truman Capote's In Cold Blood.

Most people have lived their entire lives without being victim to a home invasion. I don't even think I have ever met or personally know of a person who has been victim to a home invasion.
I was victimized by violent home invaders three times between 1964 and 1968--in good neighborhoods, when the criminals had every indication the someone was home. Firearms saved the day--no shots fired.

I simply have a different idea of what reasonably ready is inside my own home. I am simply not going to wear a gun inside my home but others do and that's just fine.
I thought the idea preposterous, until a little thinking indicated that with our floor plans, having the gun within arm's reach is the only way to have timely access, considering the various possible points of ingress.

Carrying at home keeps the gun and secure and amy from innocents and evildooers, and it obviates the need to put it on and take it off for carry outside when one comes and goes.

Kevin Rohrer

Because those crimes are statistical anomalies. They do happen, but no more often then people being struck by lightning. Of course, I don't live in a ghetto, either.

K_Mac

Because those crimes are statistical anomalies. They do happen, but no more often then people being struck by lightning. Of course, I don't live in a ghetto, either.

Yes, it is only in a ghetto that one needs to carry at home. Maybe carrying a gun anywhere other other than areas of desperate poverty and high incidence of crime is silly? Yes, I'm sure you're right.

Of course, I don't live in a ghetto, either.
Do you really think that violent criminals would likely choose to target homes in ghettos in preference to those in which there is a higher likelihood of obtaining valuable property, or finding victims with high debit card limits?

Don P

I think it depends the area which you live in. I never carry anything, but I also never answer my door for anyone either.
Just a point to ponder. Bad things happen to good/bad people in good places that we think are safe.

P5 Guy

Rumors?

An older lady in my relatively low crime neighborhood swears that a neighbor across from her is doing drug sales and is a grow house. She is very vocal about this while walking her dogs. Most of us that have lived here for sometime pretty much ignore her because she doesn't know what she's talking about.
Well, suppose a person passing thru hears her gossiping and comes back at O'dark thirty to see if it is true, but gets the wrong house.
That is the reason my pistol is in the same room as I am.

armoredman

Pretty insulting to say home invasions only happen in ghettos. The electronic version of Armed Citizen #55 was in my email a few days ago, 6 instances of legally armed citizens using firearms in self defense, 4 of the 6 were home invasions. Remember, these are only the ones that A) end in the news and B) were brought to the NRA's attention. Using Florida criminologist Gary Klecks info, somewhere between 500,000 and 2,000,000 crimes are stopped every year, many by only the deterrent factor of a firearm, I'm thinking I'm on the right side of the debate. Considering that I, like hundreds of millions of my fellow Americans, cannot afford to live in the artificial security of a "gated community", and I fully understand that the law and it's current legal interpretation thereof places the duty of defense of myself and my family squarely upon myself, I choose to carry my sidearm in my home. You do not - your choice, your life, free country and a wonderful thing it is.

Carry at home?

I'm stove up bad enough I just keep a gun on a magnet under a table or somewhere handy within reach of everywhere I can sit or lay down. When I feel good and walk I carry a 380 in neck holster. I had a fried that left on robber DRT with a 22 rifle and the cops found the other at the hospital with 3 rounds of 22 long rifle in him from the 22 rife my friend bought earlier in the week to put an end to the kids that had robbed him of his Social Security the last two months. He did.

Every I think a guns too much trouble to carry I think of four fellows I grew up with that died when they needed a gun and didn't have one. They should have been smart enough not to work nights in stores and gas stations in the part of towns that got robbed a lot. If they were going to work there they should have carried a gun. I think about the neighbor I never met that had a disagreement over pay with some folks hauling hay, they had gun my dad's neighbor didn't. His 20 year old son with his new wife was the father figure for his 11 moth old brother and 3 sisters from there on.

A guy I worked with in a manufacturing plant for a while decided he need a welders money more than the welder did. He didn't bother to hide his face he just killed the welder in the middle of the afternoon.

I live in nice quite college town that where rapes have tippled and assaults have doubled in the last 8 years. Too many happen on the streets of town or in parking lots. Some in the middle of the day. Murders are up by a factor of 3 or 4.

I go to to Tulsa with friends to eat and notice I'm walking down an alley on
Archer Ave at 10:00 pm. Some of the best resaturates in Tulsa are in the Greenwood District. Kids today don't know where their going.

I may not be the strongest. I may not be the fastest. But I’ll be damned if I’m not trying my hardest. - Anonymous

Texas45

I pretty much keep mine on me when I get to the house.
I live in a quite NE side neighborhood of mostly folks that have been in same place many yrs. So not alot of younger folks/kids.
Only one entrance/exit street and no "cut through" street meaning pretty low traffic other than residents.

I am not concerned about it but I am also not ignorant of the fact it can happen anywhere.
So it is on me most times.

I also have 85 lbs of "alarm system" installed.
3946b992403d2565731ba39dba5b404b.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Model12Win

I have started carrying a Nagant revolver for home defense. I wear it in it's issued flap holster with 14 spare round of military 7.62x38mmR ammo in the pouch built into the holster. It's not the world's greatest defensive gun, but I feel it will do just fine for home defense if I need it.

IrishGuy824

I see nothing wrong with carrying in your home.

I live in Cleveland on the far west side, in the Westpark neighborhood. It's probably the last truly nice neighborhood inside the actual city of Cleveland, however I'm just minutes away from seedier areas of Cleveland and those that create trouble do so in my neighborhood because they figure we have nice enough stuff to make it worth the risk of breaking in.

I have a six foot privacy fence with driveway gate in my back yard (keeps my dog in the yard and other dogs out). My doors are almost always locked. Doesnt mean I won't wake up one night to find someone in my backyard trying to break into my house. Doesn't mean someone won't kick in my front door. What it does mean is that if someone does do this, they'll be met with a gun. If I'm dressed, I'm armed. If I'm not dressed for the day, my gun is within arm's length.

And as for the dog, she is a pitbull who's afraid of loud noises so if someone kicked in one of my doors she would probably run and hide under the bed. In the case that she doesn't run and hide (which is honestly what I hope she would do so she doesn't get hurt), lately the thugs around here have been carrying pieces of wood to beat dogs they encounter with.

If you have a handgun, you should carry it everywhere you legally can in my opinion. When crap happens, you're the only one responsible for your own protection.