Should We Be Hiding?

MoscowMike

I can certainly understand keeping valuable items protected, and your willingness to be visible is going to depend on where you live and your ability to take risks.
But keep in mind, that your safety from social stigma and being targeted by burglars is affecting the way people around you perceive the number of gun owners.
The better hidden we are, the fewer of us that the average person knows about, the easier it is for them to dismiss our concerns - because they don't know anybody who is a gun owner. That doesn't mean you need to plaster your car with stickers and put a neon sign on your roof.

John Hancock may not really have said he signed the Declaration of Independence 'Large enough for King George to read it without his spectacles' but he was willing to make his attitude known.

stinkeypete

When strangers are touring your house, remove any indication of ANY valuables.

criminey, that’s just common sense. Put your gold jewelry in a bank safe deposit when a realtor is showing your house to any ol’ stranger, in case they come back some dark moonless night for an easy payday. That doesn’t mean the world is anti-jewelry. It means the best security of valuable items is no one knows you have them in the first place.

About 20 years ago, there was a rash of burglaries of homes that had just had giant gun safes delivered. Somehow the thieves knew the combination. I mean, they knew the factory default combination the new owner didn’t bother to reset.

“Why do you rob banks, Willy?”
“That’s where they keep the money.”

The burglars were not “anti-gun” at all. In fact, they owned a gun store.

unclejack37

Now this thought occurred to me, could this be the reason the majority of gun owners refuse to join the NRA?
Paul B, could you please show us where you got the information about the above quote. I'm not aware that the "majority of gun owners" refuse to join the NRA. That statement just gave me an itch that needs scratching.

veprdude

OP- I think the answer is Yes and NO. In reference to the gay community, it took years and years to gain general social acceptance. Embraced in many circles, not so well in others. The issue with gun culture is that it is gradually being portrayed as bad in the media. No real incentive to tell a good story about anything- be it a young boy warding off a home invader or even a young girl shooting a perfect score in an airgun match.

In our own circles, we are free to discuss and divulge. I don't display ANY political opinions on my vehicles since there is always someone you are likely to piss off.

I consider guns as valuables like anything else. I collect coins and other antiques too that have their own niche following. I wouldn't put a "St. Gaudens Gold Coin Collector" on my vehicle for the same reason as I wouldn't put a "Glock Fanboy" sticker either.

In summation, in order for our community to come back into the spotlight of "Socially Normal" we must interact with regular folk and speak about the good points of firearms ownership since most only hear the negative. Those closest to your are more willing to hear your point of view than a stranger looking at a bumper sticker.