Should We Be Hiding?

MoscowMike

There is a recent thread about how to deal with guns while trying to sell your house. Lots of interesting thoughts about moving gun and reloading supplies out of the house, locking them in a closet or generally hiding the fact that you have firearms.

I can understand the issue of upsetting some buyers, and laying yourself open to burglars, but it's just another example of hiding. We want people to accept the fact that guns are useful tools and a fun hobby, but when we conceal our interest, people don't know how common firearms ownership is.

Folks posting on gun boards often say that they won't have NRA stickers on their car, and that they try to conceal the fact that they are taking guns out to the range. In today's climate I can understand the concern, the personal risks that you take by making it obvious you own and use guns.

In years past gay and lesbian people had the same attitude. The risks were too high, so they only revealed their true selves to people they trusted. Eventually there was a movement to come out of the closet, to reveal how many people who otherwise seemed "Normal" were gay or lesbian. The argument was that if the general populace knew how many people they dealt with on a regular basis were gay, they would have a harder time discriminating against them.

Are we in the same position that the LGBT populace was in years past? When I was growing up gun ownership and use was seen as common, but over the last fifty years the perception has changed. Many gun owners have retreated into their bubble, hiding their true lives.

I think we cannot win even grudging acceptance from the general populace without taking the risk, coming out of our closet and being more open about our interests and hobbies. Gun haters won't likely change, but the average person who doesn't think they know anyone who owns guns or shoots in matches might be more thoughtful if the family down the street is open about their interests.

Of course if you only want to talk about Mozambique Drills and being ready for the zombie apocalypse you might not find as much acceptance as we would like. :)

It's easy for me to advocate this as a retired man living in North Idaho. I don't have the same risks as someone living in a Seattle downtown condo or working for Levi Strauss in San Francisco. But social change often takes people willing to take risks.

Should we be more open, and if so, what are good strategies?

Jack Ryan

Do you want to sell your house or not?

It is pretty much a standard to get out about half the stuff you have in there living in it. Just to make it all look bigger and give the buys room to imagine their own stuff in the space. The less of YOUR stuff in there the more of THEIR stuff they can "see" in it. You want to liking the house and any stuff is just an un-needed risk you may turn them off to the house.

Doyle

I think a lot depends on where you live. Down here in the deep south, I notice gun safes in real-estate photos all the time. I don't think anyone here would get scared off of buying a home from a gun owner. In other areas, I'm not so sure.

As to theft, that is always an issue. I certainly wouldn't want anything to be visibly unsecured while I was trying to sell my house.

thallub

Excellent post.

i don't play the hiding game. My vehicles have NRA stickers along with university stickers. My neighbors are accustomed to seeing me load firearms in the pickup.

Our home sold in 1998 and we moved across town. Neither the realtors nor their clients ever mentioned the three gun safes and a room mostly full of loose guns. We got our asking price.

Last edited:

Onward Allusion

Hell, it isn't just about having a difficult time when you sell your house. I need to get new windows throughout. Before I can do that, I need to organize my "crap" and move much of it into the basement or into a locked closet. So, yes - It is frustrating as can be. Let someone know that you're into shooting sports, and you're likely to be burgled or have the cops called on ya if you ever have a disagreement with 'em.

Pahoo

I won't even wear a M.A.G.A., Cap

i don't play the hiding game.
Well If being private and protestive is playing the hiding game, then I'm guilty and for good reason. ….. :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Last edited:

Doyle

Does the gun safe go with the house??

More often than you would have thought. Frequently used as a negotiating tool and a win-win for both parties. Seller gets a little more money than he otherwise would have and doesn't have to deal with the expense of moving the safe. He'll just buy a new safe (normally with free delivery and setup) at his new home. Buyer gets a discount price on a safe already in place.

kozak6

I don't have any stickers on my car.

We used to have a severe problem with vehicle break-ins at my workplace, and especially in the employee lot.

My need to put tacky stickers on my car is outweighed by my need not to place "Ooh this car might have a free gun in it!" stickers on it.

J.G. Terry

Leave the stickers but leave the doors unlocked

Leave the stickers but leave the doors unlocked. This allows you to make your point without having to replace window glass.:mad:

SIGSHR

Hiding for some=discretion for others.
I am an apartment dweller, if someone needs to come in for repairs I am present the whole time, everything gun related is out of sight.
No bumper stickers on the car=No Need To Know.

doofus47

In my county, I would probably get my car keyed if I put a pro-gun sticker on the window.
people wouldn't break into my vehicle to take a gun: just having the gun would turn them into evil social menaces...

I think that one of the functional basics of having a weapon for self-defense is "don't let anyone know you have a weapon," so for completely practical reasons, I don't put stickers on my car or wear "ammosexual" t-shirts, no matter how amusing I think these things might be.

Ricekila

The all time hiding champion goes to a family in Germany -- the second family that moved into their house did some renovations 65 years later --- opening a interior wall they found packed in cosmoline & wrapped in visqueen ( early plastic ) 3 or 4 long guns and a few pistols --

44 AMP

Staff
The all time hiding champion goes to a family in Germany --
I don't know if you consider it "hiding" or not, but 65 years is nothing.

In the 1970s, a family I knew of bought an old house in the Finger Lakes region of New York. In an old trunk in the attic, they found some (sadly) disintegrating Civil War uniforms, papers and letters from the period, and a largish, and unusually heavy block of paraffin wax.

the wax block contained a pristine (new condition) 1860 Colt Army revolver, perfectly preserved. In "hiding" for over a century!!

Paul B.

Lately I have been rereading a bunch of old gun magazines as they're better than most current issues. An article I read just this morning by John Taffin where he tells of a conversation he overheard by two gentlemen. One asked the other why, and he was a gun owner and shooter did he not join the NRA? The was, and I'm going from memory was, "No way will I join the NRA or any other gun organization. I have my guns well hidden and very few people know I have them." He did day more like about the government getting the files of the NRA or GOA and using them to track down people with guns. The man was obviously quite paranoid when it came to dot Gov and guns.

Now this thought occurred to me, could this be the reason the majority of gun owners refuse to join the NRA? Is it the fear of government confiscation? Isn't this just a form of trying to hide? Just something I thought might clear things up a bit.
Paul B.

44 AMP

Staff
At one time, responsible gun ownership and use was something most people were proud of. It was something adults did. This lasted nearly two centuries, but today, we've had generations of "popular media" telling and teaching us that gun ownership is something be ashamed of, that "good" people don't own guns.

Far, far too many people believe that lie, and sadly the actions of criminals just re-enforce that belief. The constant, almost cradle to grave drumbeat of this message has taken its toll on us all.

As far as being paranoid, like the old saying goes, you're not paranoid if there really is someone out there trying to get you!

And, there REALLY is someone out there trying to get guns out of the hands of everyone who isn't police, military, or licensed armed private security. In other words, the only people they will allow to have guns are those who's job/function in society requires it.

All it takes is a court order, and the NRA's membership list goes to the government. Now, what could a government do with a ready made list of not only gun owners, but the most active gun rights supporters in the country???

Nothing good that I can think of.

mr bolo

Im like Clark Kent around the home, and put on my HK , Glock , SIG hat when Im at the range, and never wear gun related clothing in the local grocery store, only at the range.

guns are transported to vehicle in shopping bags, ice chests, etc to make it look like im just going fishing, picnic or something.

doofus47

I think my new tack on 2a conversations might be this:
Why aren't you happy that your fellow citizens have arms and are willing to die to protect you?

USNRet93

All it takes is a court order, and the NRA's membership list goes to the government. Now, what could a government do with a ready made list of not only gun owners, but the most active gun rights supporters in the country???

It would take more than a 'court order' for this to actually happen.

1% of gun owners(estimate) are also NRA members..
teaching us that gun ownership is something be ashamed of, that "good" people don't own guns.

I know lots of people that don't own, understand, like guns. 'Some' know I do..I am not shunned or ashamed of anything..Nobody gives me a hard time about it...YMMV and all that, anecdotal only.
Why aren't you happy that your fellow citizens have arms and are willing to die to protect you?

Copy to RickyRick..I am interested in protecting me and mine..Not sure how many would decide to be the 'guy with a gun' as a neutral bystander who 'hears gun fire'. If I am with 'me and mine' and hear gunfire, I am going to other way...