Should states be allowed to divorce the union?

Army GI

Hmm. I never really thought about how it would be like for every state to be it's own country. I always thought of America as one whole country and states were just lines on a map you had to learn in social studies class.

I like the idea that everywhere I go here everyone is a fellow countryman. Besides a few nagging CA gun laws, I never really felt that I hated this or that state or I was "blank-ian". I'm just American.:)

I guess it's just my Yankee upbringing and the fact that I lived in four states over the course of my short 20yr life.

Pat H

It's not based on hate. It's based on a desire for self government by members of a like culture.

South Carolinian culture is radically different than Connecticut culture. The former is based on the fact that it was founded as a business venture with influences by Scots and French Hugenots, Jews were welcome, Catholics were not.

Connecticut and Massachusetts were founded by English puritans. Puritans knows what's good for you, and don't mind forcing it on you.

We South Carolinians don't mind visiting the northeast, but we don't feel comfortable there.

I think that's just fine.

That's just one example.

The First National Secession Conference was held in Vermont in 2006. The Second Secession Conference was held in Chattanooga, Tennessee. There will be one in 2008, site as yet to be determined, but possible on the west coast.

I view all as cutting edge, forward thinking individuals.

Limeyfellow

The problem with succession is most states would be bankcrupt within no time whatsoever. It is the states like California, New York, Florida and so on that keep the union collapsing by transferring money to the other states to keep them up and running. Sure if a state succeeded from the Union they wouldn't have to pay federal tax, but that money is going to struggle to cover the new cost of defense, the inferstructure to support commerce such as a press, trade banks of any size, a stock exchange, healthcare, food requirements, importation of goods that are no longer protected by federal money to come in cheaper and will see that state quickly see the state collapse economically.

The states have become so interdependent over the past century that splitting away is folly. It not 1860s America anymore.