Should I return my 1858?

crazsog

I've been reading posts on this forum for a while now, and after hours of searching I decided to ask you guys if you think something's wrong with the 1858 I just received. It's my first cap and ball so I might be wrong, but I feel like this pietta has a timing problem. When I put it on half cock, the cylinder spins the way it's supposed to spin (clock wise from behind the cylinder), but once it reaches the half cock position, the cylinder goes back the other way just a tiny bit after hearing that first click. Now something else that bothers me a little, I hear 3 clicks when I pull the hammer back slowly. Aren't those guns supposed to only have 2 clicks? And finally, I can't get the cylinder back in while having the gun in half cock position. The "hand" seems to get in the way, so I have to lower the hammer fully (making sure I don't lower the hammer from the half cock position as i've heard it's bad for the cylinder) and then slightly pull it back (before it reaches the half cock position) to be able to get the cylinder back in. Basically I always have to hold the hammer back a little with my thumb while i'm doing the swap. I tried rotating the cylinder to get it to fit but it just won't go back in if I don't do it as I just described. I should mention that I just received the gun and I haven't fired it yet, I'm just wondering if I should send it back or if I'm just being paranoid. Here's a quick video that'll hopefully be of help to understand my issues : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4JqWIWS6gw
(I forgot to demonstrate the problem i'm having with the cylinder swap in the video, so hopefully my words were clear enough on that issue).

Thanks in advance for the help

swathdiver

The problem seems to be you! ;) Take your time getting to know the gun and how it's supposed to operate.

The cylinder moving back a little when you place the trigger on half cock is normal.

When inserting the cylinder from the right side, you should be turning it clockwise, with the hand and not against it. If you lowered the hammer from full to half, the bolt may be up which will certainly get in the way of inserting the cylinder.

ALWAYS lower the hammer all the way down from full, ALWAYS pull the hammer all the way to the rear from half before lowering.

If you cock it slow enough, the last two clicks should be real close together, if not overlapping some.

Hawg

If you cock it slow enough, the last two clicks should be real close together, if not overlapping some.

If you cock it normally like you would when shooting it you should only hear two clicks. The way you describe installing the cylinder is the fastest way to do it and it can be installed or removed from either side that way.

bpratl

crazsog, I also just purchased an 1858 remi, still unfired, and had the same concerns about swapping the cylinder. It does take a lot getting use to and fiddling; but after a lot of practicing it comes a lot easier. Right now I think I have it down pat.
Bob

Beagle333

I s'pose you got a point. If'n you're gonna tote one of them thangs and not mess around with just gettin' the job done with the first 6 reliable shots..... then you might be needin' to have a few extra cylinders stuck in your vest pockets.
pot_stirrer.gif

crazsog

Thanks guys, I'm gonna have to play with it a little more then. After a while getting the cylinder back in became easier so i'll keep practicing.
Beagle, the 1860 IS a gorgeous gun but I chose something a bit more practical for my first C&B :D

Beagle333

I chose something a bit more practical for my first C&B

There you go... at least you recognize that it's your first (of many!):)
The Holy Black is surely a fun addiction.... enjoy collecting and shooting!

I know you said you were a reader, but since you're posting now.......
WELCOME TO THE FORUM! :D

Beagle333

Yep, that 1 screw removal, vs. the 3 really is a time saver. And just lookit all the rest of them screws..... and two of em don't even do nothin'!!:rolleyes:
50da1397-ea40-4461-bc84-aa675c68826e_zpsc4a1528d.jpg

Maillemaker: And take the grip off for dunk-cleaning without disassembling half the gun.
(And you start a thread promoting Walkers? 'Disassembled one lately?)

Last edited:

noelf2

Beagle I don't know a lot about open tops, but is one of those screws backing out a bit? Or is that a special screw to hook into a shoulder stock?

powder-n-lead

beagle that one sure has a nice blueing! also has the military frame like most of mine with the protruding stock mounting screws and frame cut-outs..

forgot to mention that I just joined up and want to say Hello, and sure like the wealth of info found here..

Last edited:

44 Dave

I have my 1860s so I can push the wedge out with out a hammer.
If you are one of those who needs to submerge your gun to clean it, sure is easier to dunk the barrel and cylinder while keeping spring a and small parts dry.DSCN5365.JPG

crazsog

Okay so the website I ordered the revolver from finally got back in stock the stainless model, only a couple of days after I received the blued version. I couldn't resist and exchanged it :D I know the Stainless isn't 'historically accurate' but damn that thing looks good with the 5 1/2 barrel.

dBQF75f.jpg

Last edited: