Should I buy this J frame

Nemsis

I'm getting my FL CC soon and I'm looking for a snubbie to pocket carry and a friend of mine has a mint late 70's S&W airweight bodyguard .38 spl. blued. Will I be able to fire new +P ammo in this gun? How do I tell by the serial # what year it was made? It has less than 200rds of target loads through it, How much should I pay for it?

please help revolver rookie here :)

Elvishead

Just a guess, but I think you shouldn't shoot +P's out of an older Auminum J-Frame.

I just got a Model 37 Airweight, and did some research, that stated that you can shoot +p out of the steel J-Frames like the Model 60 and 36, but not the Aluinum J-Frame like my Model 37 which is an 80's gun.

But I could be wrong. Consider getting a new 638 in the future, and just shoot reg 38s for now.

I keep 158s SJHP, in my 37.

Casimer

The airweights from that era can tolerate occassional +p shooting, but they're not designed for pressures in that range. A lot of people who own these will practice w/ standard pressure loads and reserve the +p for defensive uses.

pricewise a nice Model 38 w/ pinned barrel might go for as much as $500, though often less. These are sought after by collectors, so they seem to be selling at a premium.

Tom2

I would love to have an older non lock BG for CCW, and lightweight is OK, would supplement a steel frame J frame. Carry alot and shoot little. I would shoot standard ammo only in it. Then get a plus P round of about the same bullet weight as carry, hopefull POI will not vary too greatly then. I would carry it CCW with the plus P in it though. If you ever have to use it and it loosens up the gun a bit in the process, well then it has payed for itself by CYA so if you survive and lose use of a small gun in the process, it was insurance and it paid off. Frankly, a LW gun is not gonna be all that pleasant for alot of practice and I suspect you can even shoot one loose eventually with standard ammo-aluminum is aluminum, anyway you slice it and the frame takes a beating everytime a bullet funnels its way into the barrel. So I would practice more with the steel gun I have and baby the LW gun.

B.N.Real

The new 38 special defense rounds specially designed to be shot out of snubs would be a great choice and they don't have to be +p to work well.

carguychris

I think it's a 649... I'm not sure it's an airweight I think it's steel...
An Airweight from that era will have the word "AIRWEIGHT" roll-stamped on the side of the barrel in capital letters.

The revolver may have nickel finish, which can be mistaked for SS by the uninitiated. The model number will be stamped inside the yoke cut, and will be a two- or three-digit number possibly followed by a dash and another number. A Bodyguard Airweight is a Model 38; Bodyguard, 49; Bodyguard Stainless, 649; and Bodyguard Airweight Stainless, 638.
I have the serial # is their a way to look up the details on it?
Post it here:

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=277680&page=11

Nemsis

Thanks Chris I found that thread and posted last night

the biggest problem I have is making sure I can fire new hollow points in it

I don't have the gun to look at I didn't buy it yet, but it is blued so I don't think it's a 638 or 649 so that leaves a 38 or 49 it looks like this picture I found on the net

SWModel38.jpg

glockopop

The Airweight model 38 is what it is. And it is IDEAL for pocket carry. For me personally, a J frame is the smallest I'd carry, and .38 Special is the smallest caliber I'd carry. The weight of the gun in your pocket is comparable to carrying you wallet and keys in the same pocket. Not by any means heavy.

As far as the +p thing goes, the Buffalo Bore link above is standard pressure and it is still an absolute beast. It gives performance in a J frame similar to the +p FBI load (which is the proven gold standard of .38 Special performance) out of a 4" full size revolver.

Nemsis

I wasn't nessesarily going to use +P ammo just wanted to make sure I could the Buffalo Bore ammo looks perfect.

Thanks for all the help I'm going to buy it and I'll post pics when I can.

doc540

Ideal CCW loaded with Buffalo Bore, standard pressure, short barrel, heavy 158gr's.

Last edited:

Kreyzhorse

A lot of people who own these will practice w/ standard pressure loads and reserve the +p for defensive uses.

Concur. I shoot just enough +P out of mine to get accustomed to it using SD ammo. Other than that, I just shoot regular ammo out of it

Nemsis

well it took a little time but I got it :D

it's a 1974 S&W model 38 airweight bodyguard let me know what you think

(not the best pictures thanks to the silly Chicago handgun ban I have to keep it at a house in the burbs :mad:)

mySWM381.jpg

mySWM383.jpg

mySWM385.jpg

mySWM386.jpg

tedwhite

Very nice acquisition, I'd say. Too bad about not being able to keep your J-frame in your own home. Which leads me to a question. I'm planning on visiting my daughter sometime this summer. She lives in Oak Park. I have an Arizona CCW permit. Will I be allowed to bring my Model 36?