Should Glock put their 9mm pistols on a diet?

Should Glock produce a slimmer 9mm for CCW?

• Yea - I'd sacrifice a few rounds for a smaller pistol

Votes: 30 38.5%
  • Nay - I'll stick with the G26, G19, or G17

Votes: 34 43.6%
  • No Opinion - I won't carry a 9mm Glock

Votes: 14 17.9%

• Total voters

SpyGuy

I love Glocks. But if there is one complaint I have, it is that they are too fat for comfortable and effective CCW. I guess I should state that I'm tall and lean to I don't have a lot of "extra packing" in which to hide a firearm. And loose baggy clothes are not always an option.

I've brought this up before, but it bears repeating: when will glock produce a slimline version of their G26? There are two reasons why I am again raising this point: California just passed another stupid gun-control law aimed at impeding future hand gun sales; and I just saw a Glock ad promoting the slimness of their G36.

If Glock can slim up the G30 by shaving almost 1cm off its width, then surely they can do something to slim down the G26.

If anyone from Glock is reading this, please hurry before the new California regulations go into effect!

Kermit

Yup, if they're restricted to 10 round mags, then they could go to single stack mags and shave some girth from the grips!

panic

seeing as how i have small hands, the glock 26/27 wasnt even worth looking at, way tooo wide. my kel-tec p11 is barely an inch wide and serves me just fine.

i would b interested if they could put there compacts on a diet, dunno by how many rounds though. my p11 is 10+1

Last edited:

Blue Duck357

when will glock produce a slimline version of their G26?

Answer:Never.

As I understand it the 26 scores the least possible points to be imported into the country. Slim line would not make the cut, and Glock appears to have zero interest in building a factory here. I would not mind a slimline version of the 23 or 21 though, and they likely could make it in.

Bandit

Nope.. It wouldn't be that much thinner. The 36 is only a little over an 1/8th inch thinner than the Glock 30.

Rick

Russell92

Blue Duck357 has got your answer right there. there's no way they could make the G26 any smaller and still import it. as is they already all come in with adjustable sights and are taken off once they get here to score more import points. I would however like seeing a G19 sized glock that's slimmer with a 10rd magazine.

SpyGuy

Oh, those bloody ridiculous gun laws!

As I understand it the 26 scores the least possible points to be imported into the country. Slim line would not make the cut
But legal absurdities aside, there is no reason why a slimmed-down G26 can't make it into the country as width is not a criteria.

Weight is a criteria, but slimming a G26 won't change the weight much because the extra bulk is really in the polymer frame (the slide on my G19 is less than 26mm wide). While it would be nice to have the slide's corners rounded, the weight removed there could be added back with larger-radius fillets on the inside of the slide. In fact, probably some--if not all--of the weight removed from the slimmer frame could be added to the slide. And presumably, the weight is rounded up so Glock can take about a quarter of an ounce off the G26 and still be legit.

Finally, if they can't add enough weight to the slide, they could pull some tricks to get around the stoopid requirements (like they do with the target sights). For example, they could add really heavy target sights. :p Or they could make special heavy magazine butt plates (I'm sure a cottage industry making lightweight plates would spring up overnight). Anyway, if they can make the G26 work by playing the game, I'm sure they could make a slimline G26 work as well.

Redlg155

It would be nice to see a "slimline" G26, but like the most, I seriously doubt we will see it. There are a few companies out there who specialize in slimming down the glock frames. This could be another reason that Glock is not getting into the market.

Good SHooting
RED

Blue Duck357

Maybe the more mechanically inclined could help me here. But isn't being "fat" just kind of a Glock thing?

By that I mean doesn't the basic design dictate the advantage of a low bore axis, but in exchange you have a fatter slide, slim lined frame or not?

PS, loved your idea Spy Guy, just for thinking outside the box. (depelted uranium maybe) :"For example, they could add really heavy target sights."

KP95DAO

Carrying G-26, or other smaller framed Glocks.

I can't believe you can't carry a 26 concealed. Or maybe you are just one of "those" who has to have their clothes skin tight.
I carry my Rugers concealed with no problems. Even when it is 100 degrees and I am wearing a t-shirt; no jacket or other concealment garment. I also on occasion carry my G-32 with no problems. I use a Don Hume PCCH holster for these guns and for the hot times I carry my DAO Rugers (95&97) inside the waistband, strong side, butt forward, t-shirt out, Mex-carry. (that's no holster).

So what is the real problem?

dsk

seeing as how i have small hands, the glock 26/27 wasnt even worth looking at, i am no where near reaching the safety with my thumb. way tooo wide.

??????????????????

What model of Glock do YOU have? Is Glock finally giving in and cloning the 1911 w/ a thumb safety? ;)

gbelleh

I just sold my Glock 26 to buy a Kahr MK40. I wanted something slimmer, and I figured why not go for a more powerful cartridge while I'm at it. Giving up 4 or 5 rounds doesn't really bother me.

SpyGuy

No, I'm not one of "those"

I can't believe you can't carry a 26 concealed. Or maybe you are just one of "those" who has to have their clothes skin tight.
Not all of us wear t-shirts and sweat pants all day.

As a professional, I wear a tailored suit, dress shirt, and tie to the office. Of course when I'm in the office, I take off my jacket (and I'd stand out like a sore thumb if I were the only one who wore my jacket all day, every day). Obviously, I can not go around with my shirt tails hanging out to conceal a waist band holster. And since I am slim, I cannot get away with wearing baggy, ill-fitting clothes (not that I'd want to and not if I wish to continue looking professional). Even if I did, my guess is that a dress shirt would print easily enough that I'd be "made" in the close, daily exposure of an office setting. In a town (San Francisco) that not only tolerates, but embraces, every form of extreme disfunctional human behavior imaginable, there is perhaps only one thing that could cause a person to be persecuted (and prosecuted): that is being discovered carrying a firearm for self-defense. (Well, now that I think about it, being a conservative white male will also do you in here, but I digress...)

So, as far as I can tell, the only remaining viable carry options for me are an ankle holster, a pocket holster, or one of those things you wear inside your pants to keep the gun in your groin area. The way I see it, any concealed carry weapon should be as compact as possible (while still satisfying your tactical requirements). But for the carry options I'm presented with, a small, slim weapon is really imperative for concealment and comfort (IMHO).

Now for the disclaimer: I do not actually carry at this time because the "wise" (*gag, puke*) sheeple who have overrun California prevent me from doing so. Therefore, much of this discussion is purly academic from my point of view. But I still want to be able to buy the best weapon for my needs so that if I ever get the opportunity to carry (in this state or another), I will have the right tool available for the job.

P

PreserveFreedom

IMHO, the advantage of keeping a standard thickness is being able to use the mags from your full sized pistol in your Glock 26 or 27.