Shotgun HD load

JERRYS.

the smaller shot usually spreads quicker, but in the average sized house there wont be much difference between #4 buck and 00 buck. that said, inside only I like #4 buck.

SC4006

I keep my Mossberg 590 (9 shot) loaded to capacity with hornady critical defense 2 3/4" 00 buckshot. Can't argue with 8 00 pellets at 1600 fps.

deadcoyote

I live very rural so this would change depending on your living conditions. I have a mossberg 500 loaded with Federal 3" truflite 00 buck. 12 pellet 00 that is basically like a slug for the 1st 30 yards then starts to spread out. A long shot on bears, foxes, mountain lions etc is practical here.

Model12Win

The Federal Tactical Flight Control Wad 15 Pellet #1 buckshot is about tops though methinks.

As Mr. Gun and Gear show it's very high performance in ballistics gelatin. The shot spreads easily inside the target at close range. Also, the FC wad keeps the pattern well tight well past normal shotgun ranges. Good for both indoors AND outdoor defense. Ripe stuff methinks.

ATN082268

<What is your preferred HD load for your shotgun?>

For home defense, I use 12 Gauge Federal, 2.75 inch, reduced recoil, 00 Buckshot (9 pellets) with Flitecontrol.

ThomasT

My short barreled winchester has 3 00 buck and two slugs with it. I also have some S&B loads with #4 buck that would work also. My uncle was a homicide cop for many yeas and saw several HD shootings with a shotgun. Most were with #4 or #6 duck loads because thats what the homeowner had on hand. The guns were regular hunting guns put to use to protect the home. My uncle said that across the room they were "damned deadly".

Pyzon

Why would you choose birdshot for home defense if you have other choices ? First question you should ask yourself when deciding to defend yourself and family is if you are willing to end the life of a person that chose to cause harm. The whole question hinges on do you intend to wound an intruder, likely horribly, and face the lifetime of scrutiny, criticism and financial support a jury might award ? My opinion is go lethal or not at all.

I wish I could send you a photo of a high school classmate that tried to end his own life at 19 with a 12 gauge loaded with birdshot. The devastation at this close range was just about successful, but not quite.....

Erno86

I like #4 00 Buck, but I've read that #4 shot is the best home defense load, because it will penetrate only through one layer of drywall --- If you fear that a stray shot might hit family or friends.

Sharkbite

For home defense, I use 12 Gauge Federal, 2.75 inch, reduced recoil, 00 Buckshot (9 pellets) with Flitecontrol.

That a great load at distance. Just be advised it does not open up at all inside of about 10yds.

ATN082268

Sharkbite said:
That a great load at distance. Just be advised it does not open up at all inside of about 10yds.

I appreciate the heads up. The lack of spread within 10 yards for that load has been my experience as well. It almost looks like a slug hit. I personally like tight patterns for my shotgun load, YMMV.

I've also shot at 15 yards and the pattern is still pretty tight, probably around hand sized or so spread. Sometime soon, I am going to do some shooting at 20 and 25 yards just to see what the spread is like as that distance would probably be pretty rare for home defense situations.

James K

Member In Memoriam
No. 4 or even No. 6 shot will do as well as any, put more pellets out there than buck or slug loads, and shot that misses will do less damage to the walls, book shelves and other things in the house.

But there are two common misconceptions about shotguns for HD. One is that a shotgun unleashes a "cloud of shot that will fill a room and you can't miss" any BG in it. Shot spreads about 1" per yard of range, so across a 15 foot room, you get only about a 5" spread. Better aim.

The second is that persons in another room will be safe from over-penetration with a shotgun, even with buckshot. In fact at short range (say ten feet), even No. 7 shot (a common small game choice) will blow a big hole in most drywall and do serious harm to anyone behind it. Again, better aim.

Jim

JERRYS.

I just got from the range testing out my 930 tactical with the +2 choate tube. I used Winchester and Remington high brass 00 buck without any problems. next up was some Suprema 00 buck, which looked to be low brass but higher than typical skeet load stuff. a few cycle failures, specifically two failures to fully eject and jamming up the action. no wonder the Suprema was $11 per box of 25. good pattern though but best suited for a pump or double bbl.

JERRYS.

Paul Harrell has a nice video on youtube using makeshift walls and different loads to show penetration. for inside the house only type usage #4 buck looks awfully good.

Model12Win

While I like my No. 1 FC wad tac buck, I do think a standard No. 4 buck load would be best if you live in a thin-walled apartment.

kcub

I'd hate to have to kill someone but if forced to shoot an attacker I'd also hate to have him and his scumbag attorney lying about what happened in court.

jrothWA

HD loads are "00" buck in elastic carrier on butt-stock,

normally four with a fifth (slug) upside down from other, to distinguish it.

Been like that for last 24 years.