Votes: 29 25.7%
  • #2 Buck

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • Other... Please elaborate.

Votes: 18 15.9%

• Total voters

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
Which one size of shot would you consider to be the best all around Home Defense round if you could only choose one?

Shell length aside.

Thanks for participating!

Brent

Lee Lapin

I prefer to use what patterns well for me, and right now that's Federal LE127 00, a full velocity (1325 fps) 9 pellet 2.75" load. If I find something better I'll use that, but so far there haven't been any candidates. Far as I'm concerned, tight patterns I can keep on the intended target beat higher pellet count any day.

ymmv of course.

lpl

Last edited:

jen45acp

I second the 00, I havn't found anything that patterns or pushs back a swinging silhouette like good ole double "O".

kozak6

Anything #4 buckshot or larger. Once you get into this range, I don't think it matters all that much. Valid arguments can be made for most of the shot sizes in that range.

cbuck

from everything ive read more than #1 buck is overkill for most situations, and the only thing i think that would be worst then having to use a shotgun for HD would be to have the shot over penetrate and hurt a bystander. that being said if you live out in the country without any neighbors close by and you want to put a hole through the intruder as well as the side of your house..........

jmortimer

Based this most excellent article from The Truth About Guns site by Robert Farago Feb. 2010 "Shotgun Penetration With Various Rounds"
http://thetruthaboutguns.com/2010/02/robert-farago/shotgun-penetration-with-various-rounds/
#1 Buckshot (.30 caliber) is just right.
"In our opinion, this load is superior to 00 buck for selection as a tactical shotgun load. While exhibiting slightly less penetration, overall penetration is still acceptable and if all pellets strike their intended target there is potential to create approximately 77% more wound tract with the additional 7 pellets"

shortwave

Many moons ago when I lived in town(close neighbors) and kids in the house it was #3. Now I live in the middle of the boonies, no kids and am happy to say my old 12ga. I use for the house patterns 00buck very well out to my preferred SD range...Amen!

C0untZer0

Discussed on another thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=452487

I'll go with what the The Firearms Tactical Institute reports:

"Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma. In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body."

dsa1115

I suggest you go shoot some targets with a variety of loads. Inside of 20 feet with a 12 gauge, it doesn't really matter much.

hogdogs

Staff In Memoriam
While the lethality is un questionable with most shot gun loads larger than 7 1/2, it is the surety and peace of mind of the users that is a main reason in this thread.

Personally, I prefer a 00 buck shot. I am confident that I can adapt and overcome with less as I do currently with a 20 gauge I find #3 buck to be the largest I find locally. But I also have a crap load of slugs on hand too.

Also, I am in a locale with a very low rate of violent crime committed against strangers.

I do nothing with persons who may have ulterior motives that would jeopardize my home security.

Owning literally nothing of much value also reduces the risk.

But if I get the Mossberg 930 it will be kept stuffed full of my pet load of Super X 00 buck.

Brent

C0untZer0

Inside of 20 feet with a 12 gauge, it does matter.

It's not about pattern size it's about how the shot behaves once it enters flesh.

Shot smaller than #4 Buck just doesn't penetrate, so while it might make a ghastly surface wound - generally speaking it would not stop an attacker by damaging vital tissue. Yes the the attacker might stop due to pain or fear, but in other circumstances - an attacker might not.

At 20 feet if you shoot a big boar in the shoulder - the wound size is going to look bigger than that will be created by #00 Buck - but you probably will not kill that hog with birdshot.

At 20 feet if you shoot a big boar in the shoulder with #00 Buck - you will proably take out the heart and drop the boar instantly.

The same analogy holds true for humans.

Looking at the gelatin tests , it seems like some #2 and #4 Buck penetrate 10 - 12" (might be some problems with the gelatin that I viewed). #0 and #1 Buck do penetrate reliably to 14"