Shot my first .357 magnum today!!!

Darsh

Ohh yeah, I always enjoy blasting a few .357 mags out of my 2.5" bbl model 19-3 towards the end of a range session. Nothing like that fireball, and seeing the dude next to me jump, since I've been shooting 9mm and .38 the whole time! :cool: Like *** was that man?? :D Plus that gun has THE BEST trigger I've ever felt.

Mike

Last edited:

MosinM38

Love my Ruger Security Six .357. Don't shoot it alot it seems. I should, but...I don't. I feel guilty now.

Nice little gun. Mag's are interesting to fire. I leave them in, but for long sessions of plinking I use .38's.

Zilmo

I have a 66, a 686, a Python, a Security Six, a Taurus 689, and a Dan Wesson, all in stainless with six inch barrels. I like the hell out of them! Yes, I know I have a problem...

5whiskey

Yeah, guys I definately got the bug. I can't afford another gun right now, but the temptation would be strong to buy a good used security six or k frame. Wow I was in love at first trigger pull :)

It's more fun to find some macho type at the range doing the superiority thing with his bottom feeder and let him try a .357 with alternating .38 special and .357's without telling them that's the way it's loaded.

That's what I did gopack. Had some .38 +P and some .357. I put in a couple of the .38s and a few of the .357s. Shot the .38s first, and then the .357. VERY noticable difference... in a good way. I did this with two cylinders as I was already being given a gun to do the work, so I didn't want to shoot up the mans ammo. I wanted more, though :(

Stainz

I started with .45s - Colt, ACP, AR... and .454 Casull. I added .44s, too. Then, one day - at the young age of 55 (9/03) - I ordered a new 6" 66 for $350 and a new 2" 10 for $280 - bargains from a TX closeout dealer and my first .357M & .38. Never having shot one, I made ammo for both before they arrived - wimpy .357Ms, too. I added more - .357M revolvers to launch my wimpy fare with. They are addictive. The only 'real' .357 Magnums I've shot were a Blazer box of 44 158gr Magnums I found in the trash at the range, while looking for decent ammo boxes to put my reloads in. I shot them in a BHG .357M Vaquero I bought new. After cleaning up the pawl channel, I shot them all in that Vaquero - I just remember them as being loud. I sold the Vaquero quickly.

Here are my two favorite .357 Magnums - a 5" h-l 686+ and my just over a year old ultimate keeper, a 627 Pro:

IMG_3369.jpg

I have yet to reload a real .357 Magnum, much less buy one commercially. I shoot .38 Special-ish loads - they are real fun. I bought Starline .357M brass ($114/1k) and Ranch Product moonclips($50/50 - both prices delivered.) for the 8-banger - use a 125gr JHP from Montana Gold over 4.5 gr Titegroup and a Fed 100 SP primer. Great plinker - fast follow-up. Yeah, a bit wimpy. Fun!

Stainz

PS I am going backwards - my last purchase was a .22 revolver, before that, the 627 Pro above.

I have an old Smith 66 with a 4" barrel in 357. It shoots sweet. My wife likes to shoot the thing with fairly hot reloads. Our daughter-in-law was in the army (Airborne) and she and my wife had a shooting competiton one day. The daughter was shooting a 1911 Springfield 45 ACP and the wife the 357 with 110 gr XTP at 1600fps. My honey with the 357 cleaned up. One darn nice self defense gun too. If I am coming home late I call ahead. ;)

orionengnr

Yes, .357s are a hoot. I currently have four.

However, since I got a .41 Mag and a .45 Colt, the .357s aren't seeing much daylight...

KCabbage

I'm a semi-auto guy, but golly darnet don't make me have to buy one of these :D

I kinda thought that if I were to go Magnum I might as well buy a .44. I was eyeing a Colt Anacondas and a Desert Eagles for a while.

nuclearmike

S&W 357s are hard to beat. I have a 27-2, a 686-3 and a 65-5. I love my N frame. Nicest piece I have. I also have a Colt Model 357 in nickel best trigger pull of any gun I've fired.

You can't have too many 357s.

bikerbill

have two .357s, a Smith 686+ 4-incher which is my favorite gun and the only one in my collection I will never part with ... also have a Taurus 617 which needed a bit of work when I bought it new, but is now stone reliable and accurate ... .357s do tend to draw attention at the range, tho the 686 was totally overshadowed one afternoon by a guy two bays down with a .44mag ... now THAT's a loud round ...

MoreCowBell

Ya'll are making me want to take the old six-gun out RIGHT NOW. Unfortunately the range is so crowded on Sunday it's a pain.
I have a 4" 65-4 that is mostly bedside table these days, since I spend most of my range time on my carry guns; CS45, G27 and P11. But listening to this post reminds me how much fun that old girl is to shoot.
When I do take it out I usually run a box of 38s then a couple of wheels of 357. I like the idea of mixing them in one wheel. Sometimes I throw in an empty to practice trigger discipline but mixing 38 and 357 sounds even better.
Heck I might even strap it on for CC next time I go out. I wore the gf's 442 yesterday and I had forgotten how well a revolver snuggles into that little hollow between the love handles and the buttmeat.

hammerg26

I have a S&W Model 19 and love it. It was my first carry gun and will be used this year to hopefully take a deer... plan on using some 180gr rounds...

Webleymkv

There are few handguns that are as much a pleasure to shoot as my first revolver, a 4" S&W M28-2. The big N-Frame allows just enough recoil with full-power 158grn Magnums to let you know that you're shooting a real gun, yet it remains light enough to stay comfortable for over 100 rounds. For carry, my 2 1/2" M66-2 rides very nicely OWB at about 3:30 and shoots almost as nicely as its larger sibling. No collection can be complete without at least one .357 Magnum. I find a 158grn hardcast SWC over 13.5grn of #2400 to be a very accurate practice load that feels quite similar to the 158grn Remingtons that I carry.

STW

I took my nephew, from California, out shooting. We were using a Marlin 1894 with .357 and a gp100 mostly with .38 spec. He was a very happy kid. I loaded the gp100 with the last of the .357 and told him there would be a lot more recoil then he'd felt before. He eyes opened WIDE after his first shot. With the second he nailed the apples we were shooting a 15 yards. I've bought 2 more .357's since then and find the .357 a hoot to shoot.

m&p45acp10+1

I love both of mine. Both are Colt Pythons in royal blue. One 4 inch (my fave) and one 10 inch. (great shootin' iron). I inhertied both from grampa. My girlfriend loves the 10 inch loaded with 38 spcl. and she shoots so well with it some of the guys that are near at the range get intimidated when a lady out shoots them.

That'll Do

I just picked up my first wheelgun today! It's a 686-6 with a 6" bbl. I'm taking it to the range tomorrow, I can't wait! (sorry for the hijack).