Shooting without Cataracts

Pahoo

I know there are a number of us on either side of this procedure. I'm still in the healing stages in both eyes. Already I can says that it is a new and very positive experience. After my last follow-up, I asked the Optomaligist; how soon could I return to shooting. Right now I've restricted to .22LR and even before I squeezed my first round, I could feel and tell the difference. Believe me when I say that it makes a big difference. It was not a smooth journey but well worth it ..... :rolleyes:

Be Safe !!!

Pahoo

A work, in progress

If you wanted to expand on that a little I'd be interested.
I had the "standard" procedure done; the dominant right first and my mind started to program itself for that. Then a week later, they did the left eye and now doing drops in both, for a few more weeks. ..... ;)

I no longer need my prescription glasses and can read a book, magazines and print of that size. Shooting open sights got better. For real close work, I do need some magnification. They tell me that with time, all of this will improve. ..... :)

Rediscovering colors is pretty neat. The sky is blue, not hazy brown. I can now tell the difference between RED and Majenta and all colors really stand out. ... :confused:

MarkA

Very happy for you. I recently had Lasik done after wearing glasses for most of my life. It's a strange feeling, going from 20/400 to 20/15. I still reach for my glasses, almost a year later. Shooting has changed significantly for me, especially behind a scoped rifle. No matter how good the reticle was, I could never achieve a true crisp reticle focus because I was looking through my glasses off-axis if my cheek weld was any good at all.

Good eyes are something that a lot of people take for granted. I hope yours give you many miles of uninterrupted service!

Pahoo

You are not alone; ever !!!!

Good to hear. I’m about a month away from starting and still have a little anxiety.
Nothing wrong with that as there is always a degree of anxiety. I found the procedure quite fascinating and had to refrain from asking questions. The conversation between the doctor and nurses was about him going fishing in New England waters. I really felt more like a spectator, than a patient. I'm still going through the healing process and every day is a new experience. .... :cool:

Be Safe !!!

HiBC

In my case, it was cataract surgery.
You may have a different experience. I'm just telling mine.
Medicare covered nearly all of it. There is an eyedrop routine that is extensive.
I had to pay some for that. Other than that,my co-pay was less than $300 per eye.
One eye at a time.

They situated and stabilized me on the Gurney? The "Bed"... So I could be both stable and relaxed.

I was awake. No general anesthesia. The anesthetist did some things that were not uncomfortable.

As I recall,when the surgeon did his thing, all I had to do is focus on a dot of light and hold still. There was no pain and nothing was scary . The procedure ,as I recall,took seconds. Less than 1 minute.

Then my eye was bandaged. I was to take the bandage off less than 24 hours. It was time for eye drops. Anti-inflamatories, anti-biotics,etc. Thats a 4 times a day routine.
They gave me an eye cup/shield to be sure I did not rub my eye. You do require some "healing time" for everything to knit and stabilize. But you CAN see.

In 24 hours I had my eye,with full 20-20 vision at distance. I was near blind before. I went for a new eyeglass prescription and the Doctor said my right eye was not correctable. Part of why I went in was driving at night was scary. Could not read streetsigns and headlights were awful.

All that is fixed. I have normal 20/20 eyes at distance.

The surgeon offered lenses that would give me both close and far vision but they were a couple thousand dollars each more. My budget is limited so I went with single vision. Sure enough,my close vision is not good,but cheap 2.5 X readers work fine.

IF you are diagnosed with cataracts, I can tell you my results are amazing,and that Medicare covered nearly all the cost.
YMMV, but I'm grateful!!

RETG

I had the "standard" procedure done; the dominant right first and my mind started to program itself for that. Then a week later, they did the left eye and now doing drops in both, for a few more weeks. ..... ;)

I no longer need my prescription glasses and can read a book, magazines and print of that size. Shooting open sights got better. For real close work, I do need some magnification. They tell me that with time, all of this will improve. ..... :)

Rediscovering colors is pretty neat. The sky is blue, not hazy brown. I can now tell the difference between RED and Majenta and all colors really stand out. ... :confused:
My exact same experience in 2015. And today seven years later, at the age of 74, still have 20/20 vision for both close and distance vision; only glasses I have worn since the catarac surgery have been sunglasses and/or safety glasses.

It was by far the best elective surgery.

And the procedure is painless, albeit rather uncomfortable. Any my insurance covered 100% of the surgery for both eyes.

Pahoo

A new reviel, every day !!!

Shooting has changed significantly for me, especially behind a scoped rifle. No matter how good the reticle was, I could never achieve a true crisp
At this time, I choose not to shoot a scoped rifle. However, in reply to this, I did look through a couple of my scopes and their quality just went up as they are actually sharp and clear. I know this thread has little to do with firearms but has enhanced my shooting ability. ... ;)

Be Safe !!!

Bottom Gun

I’m looking at having cataract surgery next month and am trying to decide on which lens to choose.
I wear bifocals now and am leaning toward a Toric lens to correct my astigmatism and distance vision.
I’m also considering a multifocal lenses like the Symphony lens but have some concerns about halos at night. I’ve also read that even with the multifocal lens, I will likely still need reading glasses.

Apparently, Medicare only covers the basic lens implant by blade surgery. There is an additional charge ($995) for laser surgery and lenses that correct your vision cost an extra $2,000 for a Toric lens and $3,450 for a multifocal lens. Charges are for each eye and not covered by Medicare. Charges for Toric and multifocal lens implants include the laser surgery charge.

Has anyone had the multifocal lens implant? When pistol shooting are both the sights and target in focus now? Do you still require reading glasses?

I would appreciate any advice or comments.

Pahoo

Consult wth your doctor !!

I’m looking at having cataract surgery next month and am trying to decide on which lens to choose.
Since this was my first and last "great adventure" into these uncharted waters, I took my time to do some homework and consultation with my doctor. His input was very helpful. I too "had" astigmatism and bi-focal. As stated, my old glasses are pretty much useless to me and the only help I need is close up work. I wear sunglasses in public but only for "Physical" protection during the healing process. The Surgeon that performed the work, only does the standard procedure, so insurance coverage might be a factor. ..... :)

Again, it's important to consult with your doctor on this preocess .. ;)

Be Safe !!!

hikingman

Congrats!!!! My right eye is 90 days next week, it's a new world!

A good 30 days after surgery is a conservative wait for large recoil rifle or pistol. Stick with .22 until then.

joe45c

I just took my wife in for cataract surgery this morning. She got her left eye done 1st. They didn't put a patch on it. Just told her not to rub it stay away from bright light and don't get it wet. I think next week she gets her other eye done. Right now she is experiencing double vision, but pain.

hikingman

Joe,
No odd or uncomfortable side effects, here. The drops that I was prescribed were in three bottles, and took a chart to keep up with in the weeks following surgery. Who, me complain!

DaleA

Thanks for all the people that listed their experiences.
Just me, but I'd like to specifically thank Pahoo and HiBC.

Pahoo

My wife keeps to the chart schedude and is a blessing

No odd or uncomfortable side effects, here. The drops that I was prescribed were in three bottles, and took a chart to keep up with in the weeks following surgery.
Some good post-procedure point to bring out. The "Chart" is a great way to keep track of what drops you put in and when. Thankful for the wife that is keeping track of this. As for what drops are needed, that is determined by your doctor; so tell him "everything". In my case, one was Prednezone, another is an antibiotic and for a short time, the other was for allergies. The consultation is very important. I think of this more as a procedure but it is surgury. Personally, keeping to the chart schedule is the hardest part of process. .....:cool:

I wish everyone great success on this procedure. .... :)

Be Safe !!!!

HiBC

Once a dosage of medication becomes so "normal" its routine, for me, my memory does not necessarily record it as a remarkable event.

Sometimes I have to wonder "Did I take my med?" So,to solve that I use a pen and paper.
Low tech is a chart or graph /grid paper so all I have to do is check a box.*

If their WERE any unforseen problems, it does not hurt to have a record to show your Doctor.

*Blood pressure med is twice a day. No children in the house, I use the childproof cap orientation for AM/PM